How Blue Can You Get -- Need a bit of assistance

If you're searching for a special part of a song or a chord sequence, ask here. Include as much details as possible (e.g. time range, album).
lp1holl

How Blue Can You Get -- Need a bit of assistance

Post by lp1holl »

Hey guys,

First off, just want to thank you guys for all your help last year. This is my first time back on the forum in a long time, and I'm loving the new emoticons.

Anyway, I'm writing a song for my girlfriend, and all of the pacing and rhythm inspiration has come from B.B. King's "How Blue Can You Get." I know that writing a song for my girlfriend (one that praises her) is about the opposite of the original intent of the song, but that aside, I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out the key and intervals of the main part of the song (not the intro or solos, I'm going to give those a shot myself). Basically, I'm trying to figure out if the song is 12-bar, 12-bar quick change, or some variation, but I can't do it myself. Anything you guys could do to help me would be awesome, because I've hit a true wall on this.

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate all you've done for my appreciation and proficiency in Blues music.

Hopefully I'll look like this soon :aha: , or this :music2: either works, thanks guys :big_smile:
"Nothing shuts my piehole but pie."
Blackhorse

Re: How Blue Can You Get -- Need a bit of assistance

Post by Blackhorse »

I play it as a standard quick-change 12 bar blues.

I-IV-I-I
IV-IV-I-I
V-IV-I-V

Play it smooth, nice and slow but flowing, with lots of licks. :thumbsup:

"I gave you seven children, and now you want to give them back" :lol:
Better change that line :away:
lp1holl

Re: How Blue Can You Get -- Need a bit of assistance

Post by lp1holl »

Yupp, the plan was actually to write my own song, but everything just kept coming back to that tune. Thanks a lot for the help :high5:

I'll give it a shot and hollaback if I need any more assistance :think:
"Nothing shuts my piehole but pie."