Hanging MIDI notes

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
12bar
Site Admin

Hanging MIDI notes

Post by 12bar »

Hi folks,

is there anyone having the same problem with hanging MIDI notes?
Sometimes the note plays forever, even when the track has ended.
I've searched specific for this problem in Reaper, but I found the same behavior in other programs, too.
:think:
VikingBlues

Re: Hanging MIDI notes

Post by VikingBlues »

I'm afraid i can't help on that - i do have various occasional problems with MIDI (mainly due to my lack of knowledge) but I've not had hanging notes.

Have you tried a different MIDI keyboard?

There's a SoundOnSound forum thread on hanging MIDI notes in Reaper - don;t know if it's of use / if you've seen it.
https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 16&t=71696

There's so many settings and so many bits of software and hardware combining to produce MIDI sounds I sometimes think it's a miracle it ever works!
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks - looks like it's a very common problem. :think:
I have this with a midi file imported, so it's not a keyboard issue. Maybe it's the 32/64 bit problem...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Could be?!?! :icon_whoknows:

I find if i go into Program properties and then the MIDI and VST sections in my DAW, the number of options and features that can be on or off or varied in amount are huge. Made more baffling for me by my not having a clue what most of it means.
Like the instruction to be on or off of "Don't send note-offs of pitch reset messages on stop/reset" - never knew it existed or could be an issue and am not 100% understanding it.

I hope you manage to track down your particular issue on this hanging note problem.
I take it that you get this problem using a variety of different VST's?
Does it occur with a variety of numbers of notes playing at the one time, or is it always when a large number of notes are played?
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Yes, it appears on different vsti's, but - as usual - not always and only if I import or copy a midi from another track.
Maybe the vsti's handle the note off different (in settings I tried all possible combinations without success).

But I found a workaround :D
In Reaper you can add a volume envelope to midi tracks, so you can simply fade it out at the end. It still plays, but with zero volume. :cool:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Nice solution - good piece of creative thinking there Sir! :thumbsup:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU7Gj8ix_Bs
A hike in the Val Grande valley in Italy. 2019. No Italy last year. :tears:

Just midi :eye_rub: no Blues, no guitar at all. I had recorded some of the chords as arpeggios on guitar, but accidentally deleted it while fighting with midi. I just wanted to finish this. :lol:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Great video. Majestic views and beautiful music - nice arrangements and sounds! :clap:

Not so keen on the majestic steep slopes and loose crumbly rocks and stones. :D But I'm a vertigo sufferer. :sad:

Going back to the hanging notes I saw that there is a button to click in the Cherry Audio Polymode virtual instrument (inspired by the infamous 70s-era Polymoog synthesizer).
The button is described as ...
!(MIDI Panic) - Click to send an all-notes-off message in case of, "why won't this thing stop making noise?!?" stuck-note incidents.
Another confirmation that it's a common problem.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks VB!

Interesting button - confirms my suggestions... unfortunately my VST's don't have it. :sad:

Btw - looks like a nice VST! There are so many great ones...