Currently listening to...

Talking Blues, news, cool links
12bar
Site Admin

Currently listening to...

Post by 12bar »

Not much traffic, so maybe we can exchange some interesting music... something others may not know, rather than the usual stuff.

First one is crazy - a very funny Krautrock video from a local band (Deichwart) on their "trip" to the USA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKvPeyOmJLA

Another weird music I found searching for Blues is from a band called "Taste of Blues". The album is entitlet Shizophrenia and consists of two totally different styles. Be sure to listen to the second half: :big_smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1AFSoerIXA
It inspired me to record some background music for one of my paddling videos. I'll post it when ready.

Some members from Taste founded the band Asoka: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9HZ_0kS_kk :music2:
From there some YT links lead to great Blues and psychedelic rock bands from 1969/1970. Worth to discover.
fenson

Re: Currently listening to...

Post by fenson »

Used to post such invitation for "a little walk out of the Blues" in the past...
Not a very big success...

Already said that, but I recently came back from a long journey thru Japan...
I brought back some exotic music gear!

Shakuhashi~07.jpg
Shakuhashi~07.jpg (184.18 KiB) Viewed 589657 times
Shakuhashi~04.jpg
Shakuhashi~04.jpg (211.13 KiB) Viewed 589657 times

That is called Shakuhashi. Five holes that let you play a minor Pentatonic :cool:
This one is in G (A/440)

Therefore I'm eventually loop-listening this kind of music...

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7s-wXZWT5o>

Hope you enjoy :icon_whoknows:

PS:
Have a look @ <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakuhachi> At the bottom of this page you'll find a lot of Jazz/Rock/Blues bands that used
Shakuhashi in their music... The real or Synthesized one, including people such as Alpha Blondy and/or Roger Waters or Dire Straits :D

PS2:
Special dedication to VikingBlue; Cletic Improvisation
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ubNWLsdjlU>
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Although I'm a bit familiar with Japanese culture (practicing Japanese martial arts and reading books about their history) I never got into their music. Sure - it's pentatonic based, like the Blues, but it's just not my taste :icon_whoknows:
fenson

Post by fenson »

Martial art!?
Which one? I'm Kyudo & Kendo practitioner for about 35 years!
Have you ever read Eugen Herrigel book?

自分を大事にして下さい :D
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:high5:
Mainly Judo. Startet as a kid, stopped for several years (study, job, family), startet again when my son started Judo. Meanwhile did my black belt and trainers license a few years ago.
My books include the originals (in English) from Kano himself (mind over muscle), some work from Otaki/Draeger, Daigo and several books about specific techniques. I didn't learn Kanji except for a few judo specific things (I take care of myself :big_smile: ). I haven't read Eugen Herrigel yet.
Btw- our member HBL also did some martial arts...
fenson

Post by fenson »

道路にとどまる :thumbsup:

btw did you listen to VB dedication? Not Japanese but Celtic rooted :D I do really love the Rav... Ordered one in G, yesterday! :icon_whoknows:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Yes, nice warm sound! How much?
fenson

Post by fenson »

The G minor Rav: $780 + Approx $77 Shipping + 39/bag from that store <https://www.musicinthemoment.com>
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

$900 for only one key... :eye_rub:
I'll stay with my guitars - more flexible :big_smile:
fenson

Post by fenson »

???
G minor scale works pretty well above many chords..., give it a try!

However you're right! Quite a bit expensive but "quand on aime on ne compte pas" (old french saying) :D
And it feets so well with my Shakuhashi :big_smile:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Just joking :wink:

However - I play in our living room usually with headphones :music2: and I'm afraid this is no option for the RAV :big_smile:
fenson

Post by fenson »

Joking too :D
Definitively not an option! Don't need any amplifier either :lol: (advice from the reseller)
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Late to the party on this thread!

It'll take a while to catch up, but in the meantime I'll mention Gerd's first post.

Interesting hearing those linked pieces Gerd. :thumbsup:
The "Schizophrenia" one took my attention. Very much a recording of two halves. The first had me reminiscing about the German Psychedelic bands I listened to in the late 60s / early 70s. Amon Dull II and Can being particular favourites. The first half of the piece you linked did have some Can DNA, and the drumming was of a similar ilk to the wonderful Jaki Liebezeit. Blues but with a twist in the second half - I can see why the Prog Archives review included in the link mentioned Atomic Rooster as a point of reference. It's good to be surprised where a piece of music takes you when listening and that one did that.

I still have Amon Duul II and Can on my PC and my mp3 player at present. I was listening to the formers "Phallus Dei" and "Tanz Der Lemminge" recently and also Can's "Tago Mago". They still have an impact on me after all these years. I felt that German Psychedelic Rock groups were much more adventurous than UK ones.

I hadn't heard of Asoka and they sound very good on the "Southern Comfort" track - nice dual guitars going on. I'm afraid the UK music media back then were very focussed on only UK and USA bands. It was really only John Peel (RIP) on the radio that broadened my horizons to some things on offer in Europe like the "Krautrock", and other European groups like Gong and Focus.

Fenson - I'll need to leave your first post till later. I'm intrigued by the reference to me and to "Celtic". But I simply have no time left at all this weekend and must sign off.
I'll try and come back to this tomorrow - real life really is getting in the way of my internet forum visits this past few month. 6 months to retirement, and hopefully then I'll get at least a bit of time!
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Fenson - I do like the Shakuhashi sound and music you linked and the Celtic improv piece with the tuned percussion instruments and the Shruti box is hypnotising and great listening. Thanks for mentioning me in connection with this one as it ensured i had a proper listen to it. You judged right in thinking I'd be interested. :D
I looked up that RAV Vast B/H Celtic Minor 2 Tongue Drum and it's certainly a serious instrument at a serious price. I envy you taking the plunge on one -impending retirement means i can't! I noticed too that the Shruti boxes have a per order waiting list, so they must be (deservedly) popular.
I do need to try and calm myself down to appreciate this sort of music - if I manage to do that it's a good relief from the bustle and stress of life. :cool:
Not surprised to see the name Tangerine Dream associated with synthesised Shakuhachi sounds. I remember my first hearing of "Phaedra" fondly and still have several of their CDs knocking about.
The only band I've listened to recently that have traditional instruments that are new to me has been The Hu (not the Who). They use some traditional Mongolian instrumentation, including the Morin khuur, and do Mongolian throat singing, but in a sort of rock / metal mix. I do like crossover music. They only have one album as yet - "The Gereg", released this year. It's certainly different!
I'll move on with some more thoughts, maybe tomorrow!
Cheers! :D
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Oh yes, Can, Amon Düül, Gong - I grew up with them and the other "Krautrock" bands but wasn't much interested. 40 years later :lol: I discover real gems among them from bands I never heard of.

Anyway, if you need some raw Blues going over into Jazz - Russell Malone and Diana Kralls version of the famous "Route 66":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjuJ22Dy-ik
fenson

Post by fenson »

You're welcome VB :D
Russell... No words to say how this guy blows my mind any time he plays the guitar!
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Fine blues on that Route 66 link! Great tones from the guitar / amp too.
Contrasting styles on display!

Not been listening to much blues lately, but on the acoustic front I do regularly listen to Martin Simpson who can hit the notes in blues!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHY74AjKRjI

i have a few books by Martin about playing in open and altered tunings and they have helped me a lot.
This one below is more like his usual - I love his guitar playing, and his lyrics are often full of feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1yK96KKoQQ

I'm afraid that my music listening recently has been hijacked by listening to 2012 and later live Nightwish recordings. I know ... at near retirement age should I be listening to symphonic metal. But with a vocalist as wonderful as Floor Jansen and a real music composer in Tuomas Holopainen I just find myself drawn in, often to the emotion of the piece rather than any metal elements. Praise be too that they have a very good male vocalist who does not do the crazed zombie growls that afflict so many bands of that genre. I've also watched with great enjoyment the current years episodes of a Dutch music TV show, Beste Zangers where I found my liking for singing covers more genres and styles than I thought. I looked it out as Floor was in it, and discovered other singers of great vocal qualities.

On the exotic instrument front I'll have to stick with the cheap option of VST instruments.
I'm exploring some possible instrument combinations, with disregard for things like getting the timing right!
For example, a Zither, a native American flute the name of which escapes me, and a bit of percussion and acoustic guitar. Fun!
:roll:

PhD Test.mp3 - (1.35 MiB)

I didn't call it PhD out of any academic connections, but I found out after the event it was in Phrygian Dominant.
I don't really know what mode I play in when I start a piece on a keyboard.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Martin sure knows what he does! :dance:

I know Nightwish very well - my son has nearly all of their records. Fantastic voice and very professional musicians!

Reminds me of my younger days when I was a bit into classic/symphonic rock (not rock classics) and listening to Renaissance a lot.
Funny thing is the connection to EC, with former members of the Yardbirds in the first line-up. :lol:

Later Annie Haslam joined - a perfect voice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vODfYjbLxY or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKb2VlcrRn8
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

VikingBlues wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:21 pm I didn't call it PhD out of any academic connections, but I found out after the event it was in Phrygian Dominant.
:lol:

Sounds like recording a japanese tea ceremony :dance:
fenson

Post by fenson »

Hope you enjoy this one much more Gerd :icon_whoknows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlj3J08 ... _&index=14
"It Hurts Me Too" classic blues on jinashi Zen shakuhachi flute (w/ vocals)