Greetings!

Guest book, site news and suggestions, introductions
BSBlues

Greetings!

Post by BSBlues »

Thanks for having me! I'm 58 been playing a long time . . . I'm all about the BLUES! :music2:
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Greetings!

Post by 12bar »

:welcome: :chicken:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:welcome: to the forum BSBlues - hope you like it here. :D

We might be quiet here sometimes but we're very friendly.

The Blues saved my guitar playing from stagnating and gave me some understanding of playing with feeling and trying to play in my own voice.

I'm 63 heading on 64 but regretfully I have so little time for guitar in recent times. Hoping retirement changes that. :fingerscrossed:

What sort of gear do you use, and who do you most like listening to, or who have most influenced your own playing?
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

:welcome: to the forum. Why don't you tell us a bit about yourself... Where are you, what do you like to play (I know, blues, right?), what kind of gear do you like...
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
BSBlues

Post by BSBlues »

Sure thing . . . I'm 58 been playing since around 1976. Right now I have a blues band together we call the 7th Son Modern Blues Quartet. We play everything from open tuned delta/hillstomp to Chicago/Texas stuff to the easier soul jazz blues and even a smattering of blues rock.
My current influences are Ronnie Earl and Robben Ford. I've been adding a lot of Bop phrasing to my vocabulary, but keep working on my traditional chops. I play a '91 American Standard Telecaster which has been hot-rodded to hell by Jay Monterose (late Danny Gatton's guitar tech) and a '95 Blues Junior with the Bill M mods and a Cannabis Rex speaker. For FX I use an MXR Phase 95 to get my Albert King thing and Johnny Winter thang going, a Klon clone Silver Pony built by a close friend, and an old Aria analog delay . . . George L's between guitar - pedals - amp!

:banana:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Nice. I'm not sure what the BillM mods entail, but I run a heavily modified BJ. It has a bigger transformer, 6v6 tubes, a custom tone stack, a Celestion G12 and some other mods. It was built with me in mind by a buddy and I love it. It has replaced my '64 Super Reverb, mainly because it is more portable and is usable ot lower volumes.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Wow - I see from your reply about gear that you're heavily into blues and music in a big way!

Using Danny Gatton's guitar tech too - class!
I don't have personal experience of Bill M mods but I've hears there's big benefits to low end, high end, extra range of tone and control, improved presence and liveliness, and more pristine cleans. Sounds like a touch of black magic from those mods.
I can see how that would be of great use to you in the group / live playing that you do.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
BSBlues

Post by BSBlues »

Blindboy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:24 am Nice. I'm not sure what the BillM mods entail, but I run a heavily modified BJ. It has a bigger transformer, 6v6 tubes, a custom tone stack, a Celestion G12 and some other mods. It was built with me in mind by a buddy and I love it. It has replaced my '64 Super Reverb, mainly because it is more portable and is usable ot lower volumes.
I bet if you asked your buddy you'd find out your BJr was Bill M modded! :amp: