Lonesome Road...

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
12bar
Site Admin

Lonesome Road...

Post by 12bar »

So I tried to get a little acoustic feeling on my Sherry, but the result was not what I expected. The electric leads to a different playing and I don't get the sound I want. Anyway, I played with the VST drumkit on Reaper to get this very basic rhythm by myself. Just drums makes it harder to stay in the 12 bar structure, and sometimes I failed and missed a beat or got the turnaround way to early, I also can't sing so it's only a short one. :lol:

It's inspired by Big Bill Broonzy's Lonesome Road Blues (played by Muddy, Eric and many others). I love this Blues, I wish I could do it better. :whistle:

blues1.mp3 - (1.42 MiB)

VikingBlues

Re: Lonesome Road...

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:13 pmI wish I could do it better. :whistle:
Story of my guitar playing life! :angry:

I thought you did a good job of the VST drums. I've always found that my lack of knowledge of the way drums are played are a big barrier to software drum emulation whether VST, EZDrummer or whatever.

Very difficult to play an electric guitar like an acoustic, and even more difficult to get a similar sound.
But that's some nice clean blues playing on the Sherry. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
fenson

Post by fenson »

"Just can't be satisfied"
Sure that old saying is true when it comes out from the bottom heart of a real artist...
To my ears it simply demonstrate your lack of playing with a real band for maybe too long... :icon_whoknows:
You maybe didn't acheive finding that acoustic sound you were looking for, however you got a real beautiful
clean sound here man! :thumbsup:

Tips to work with a single drums track: :think:
use some figure with HiHat or crash cymbal to tell you when it comes
to the turnaround or a chord change (just like a real drumer do in live performance...).

Trik to get a more acoustic sound with an electric:
The right :amp: and the right guitar_fire:: !
VB notice I was sounding a bit acoustic on my Naima cover...
Did it with my Epi ES-339 (which has a split coil knobs thay I used on that track) pluged into my beloved
Blues Cube Artist with output power set to 5 Watts. Reverb added later with Ardour and Calf plugins...
Also used my EC Strat (middle/bridge pups, tone knobs turned down around 2...) :icon_whoknows:

Hope this helps
:beer:
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

fenson wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:58 am "Just can't be satisfied"
Sure that old saying is true when it comes out from the bottom heart of a real artist...
To my ears it simply demonstrate your lack of playing with a real band for maybe too long... :icon_whoknows:
You got me - actually I've never ever played in a band. Maybe when I'm retired... playing
in a band would sure help a lot to listen to the beat a bit more... :big_smile:
fenson wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:58 am You maybe didn't acheive finding that acoustic sound you were looking for, however you got a real beautiful
clean sound here man! :thumbsup:
Thanks! :shy:
fenson wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:58 am Tips to work with a single drums track: :think:
use some figure with HiHat or crash cymbal to tell you when it comes
to the turnaround or a chord change (just like a real drumer do in live performance...).

Trik to get a more acoustic sound with an electric:
The right :amp: and the right guitar_fire:: !
VB notice I was sounding a bit acoustic on my Naima cover...
Did it with my Epi ES-339 (which has a split coil knobs thay I used on that track) pluged into my beloved
Blues Cube Artist with output power set to 5 Watts. Reverb added later with Ardour and Calf plugins...
Also used my EC Strat (middle/bridge pups, tone knobs turned down around 2...) :icon_whoknows:

Hope this helps
:beer:
Thanks for the tips, I'll try them out. :thumbsup:
Playing drums via keyboard is something I'll have to learn, it doesn't come naturally.
I used my Sherry because it's a semi acoustic, together with a rather clean amp sim + medium reverb on my toneport.
fenson

Post by fenson »

12bar wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:52 am Playing drums via keyboard is something I'll have to learn, it doesn't come naturally.
:think: Playing drum via keyboard sounds strange to me :icon_whoknows:
Give a try to Hydrogen Drum Machine (works with Linux, Windows and Mac), many pretty good drums set available and you also can build your own drumkit if you prefer.
Here is a sample I'm actually programming for some funky experience...
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
Hellhoundsonme

Post by Hellhoundsonme »

I am so jealous of the great recording quality you folks have demonstrated on this forum. I have some old Bose speakers on my desktop, and the music sounds great through them. I like a touch of reverb to make things sound bigger and this recording, and some of the others I have heard, featured just the right amount.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks!
I gues you like the early Peter Green?
Hellhoundsonme

Post by Hellhoundsonme »

Peter Green is the legend that inspired the legendary Gary Moore. They both were sooo good!
Carts64

Post by Carts64 »

Evening all, Carts from Brisbane Australia here. This is my first post - great site. Does anyone know if there is a TAB version anywhere of Lonesome Road Blues or the exquisite Walkin Down the Road (track 1, Disc 1, Eric Clapton, Crossroads 2: Live in the Seventies)? One of my favourite blues tracks - I think it started as a studio out-take, not sure who the singer is - doesn't sound like EC to me? Would love to learn it. Many Thanks
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

God morning to down under :big_smile:

It's indeed EC who sings it, but I haven't made a tab for it (and don't know if one exists). It's not too hard to figure out the notes, as it's almost pure pentatonic. Other versions can be found on YT from old Blues artists.
Carts64

Post by Carts64 »

Many thanks. I'll start with your great work from March 2018 and go from there. Keep up the good work
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

If you need help, I can tab parts of it...
Carts64

Post by Carts64 »

That would be great if you have a moment. I am still struggling. Just the commonest chord shapes and the commonest bits of the intro and solos would be a great help. Many thanks
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Basically A minor pentatonic, 5th fret. E7 D7 Am - that's all you need.
I'll see if I can tab it someday.
Carts64

Post by Carts64 »

Thanks from down under!