Hi from Sweden!

Guest book, site news and suggestions, introductions
Thaumiel

Hi from Sweden!

Post by Thaumiel »

Hello from Sweden

Wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I am 31 years old, live in Stockholm, Sweden. I was plucking a guitar a bit since I was in my early teens, but it wasn't untill my very late 20's that I decided to take up somewhat seriously.

What happened was that it was Christmas eve, and me and mom was fixin' to go to my brother's place to celebrate the holiday (in Sweden, Christmas eve is the big day for some reason), and we were in a store to buy the last stuff for Christmas dinner. It just so happens that this store bought in not only food, but just about anything the could get a good price for in bulk. So you could find all sorts of weird things, anatomy dolls, motorcycle suits (in Sweden in late November), just about anything. That day they had guitars - one of those beginner kits with a cheap Strat copy, an amp, cords, gig bag, picks, that sort of thing. It was really cheap, so I decided to treat myself to one of those sets. That's how it happened that I started playing "for real". It's been three years now.

I'm very much into all sorts of bluesy and rocky sounds, classics like the old delta masters, over the Chicago scene and the 60's and 70's blues rock. For the last few years I've also taken up a little bit of jazz, but that's definately going a bit slower. ;)

Currently, I'm mostly playing along with records and with Band-In-A-Box, although I've was trying for a band (who decided to call it quits after that one time, I wonder if I should get a complex about that ;). Finding beginner-to-immediate friends to play with in a small country like mine is kind of difficult nowadays, unless you want to play heavy metal, it seems.

Anyway, that's my story. I'm hoping to be able to add some not-all-too-stupid questions, and perhaps be able to answer one or two, or provide some insight of questionable quality. ;)

Anyway, thanks to this forum for existing, and see you all around.
Blindboy

Re: Hi from Sweden!

Post by Blindboy »

:welcome: to the best guitar forum on the web.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:welcome: to the forum Thaumiel.

For help and answers to bluesy questions you've found the right place here.

Finding people to play with is tricky - look at Blindboy's Train Wreck Blues Band - they live so far apart their only rehearsals are when the play their live gigs.

All the internet and technology - backing tracks, band in a box, DAW recording packages etc - do at least make it much easier for us stay at home guitarists to get a taste of playing alomg with other musicians.

Hope you enjoy your time here. :D
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:welcome: and thanks for the introduction! No heavy metal here, everything from beginner to expert, so if you can't find a band just start a collaboration in the Blues Room.
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

:music2: howdy from Texas. :welcome:
Tytlblues
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

:wave: Thaumiel :welcome: here,

You found the best blues site there is on this globe :wink:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
Thaumiel

Post by Thaumiel »

I am defo starting to believe you in that statement, 2Wheels.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Hey Thaumiel , Welcome to the Blues matrix of the web. .........

As was said in the first matrix movie. "He is beginning to believe.... "
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
weelie

Post by weelie »

Hej, Thaumiel!

I am from Finland, a few years older than you, and I agree. It's very tough to find beginner-intermediate group to play with, unless you want play heavy metal. My leanings are also more like 40-50s instead of '70-'80s, which makes it even more difficult. I have done a band course for two years now (at community college or whatever you call them, we meet one night a week), there we play mostly '70-'00s rock, which mostly is kinda boring to me, but it has helped getting over a certain "stage fright" of playing with others, I think.
losaavedra

Post by losaavedra »

Big ¡Hola! from sunny Spain. Have fun here ...
Mike
"I feel more like I do now than when I first came on" (Ronnie Scott, Maidstone)
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Hej Thaumiel !
Välkommen till detta forum (Welcome to this forum).
Where do you live in Stockholm , we might meet and Jam together.
Kalle ( from Stockholm/Sverige)
Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ system) steelstring Dreadnought
Yamaha RBX 270 bass guitar with Laney DB150 amp.
Yamaha RGX 320 electric guitar with Egnator Tweaker tube amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden
Thaumiel

Post by Thaumiel »

Hi man. I live in Kärrtorp. It's on the Skarpnäck tube line.
Thaumiel

Post by Thaumiel »

Kalle wrote:Hej Thaumiel !
Välkommen till detta forum (Welcome to this forum).
Where do you live in Stockholm , we might meet and Jam together.
Kalle ( from Stockholm/Sverige)
Hi man! I'd love to do that. I live about in Kärrtorp on the Skarpnäck line. Get in touch by PM or on the forum and let's hook up!