Youtube comments mhh

Everything that doesn't fit elsewhere
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Youtube comments mhh

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Today I received a couple of comments about Alone in the crowd from one TiagoMorbusSa on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDZuBAS8B80
These are just scales over a backing track. You have some sort of "feeling" and emotion, but it shows very very shyly in this piece.
You're always playing the same thing, basically. Experiment a bit. Get some accidentals in there (but not randomly, you have to feel them, obviously, and play accordingly).
Don't go for isolated bends, integrate them in a phrase.
Don't go for hammer ons and pull offs at such low speed.
Integrate arpeggios into the solo, no need for fast stuff you can't do it.
and
In essence, you have practice your phrasing. HARD.
I have mixed feelings about the comments and the reason they where given. First feeling was, ok he's is trying to get himself noticed. Second one was, mhh schoolish way of thinking, despite the accidental and expiremental remarks.

Strangest thing is that when I would have gotten these comments over here or f.i. on JSguitar forum it would be perfectly fine to me. On Youtube however, a environment I like less and less because of all the selfpromotion going on and the friendship requests from all kinda unrelated entities.

I can handle comments critique etc very well, but I can't handle the thought of comments for comments sake.

Am I wrong ?

BTW I dont agree with him, What I played was what I heard in my mind while listening to the bt the first time, The melody was mend to be simple en my phrasing. :think: .. yeah....well it's me :wink:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
vancouverois

Re: Youtube comments mhh

Post by vancouverois »

Don't worry about Youtube comments, I sometimes browse Youtube in quest of good music
and most of the time the comments are writen by people who have a feeling of power and
anonymity behind their computers.

This is the type of "connaisseur" I like to avoid, always prone to give you advices about your
playing but they usually don't play at all :lol:
Jan 15th 2007
losaavedra

Post by losaavedra »

Hey, take it with a pinch of salt HBL! A bit of digging around revealed a 24-year-old (that's about 6 years younger than the youngest of my 3 children!) located in Portugal who goes under the handle TiagoMorbusSa. His YouTube dwelling place isn't the most inspirational I've visited but I suppose in a 'free' world he can have his tuppence-worth same as anyone else. He seems, however, to have spent rather longer than is healthy swotting up on the "Bluffer's Guide to Blues Guitar Playing". Treat it as 'comments for comments sake' as you put it. I can't nail down a thing in what he says as being any of true, constructive or useful!!
Mike
"I feel more like I do now than when I first came on" (Ronnie Scott, Maidstone)
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Anything I've ever posted on YouTube (and that's very little) I have had comments either disable, or needing cleared by me first.

This is due to my lack of respect for a lot of the trolls and idiots that hang about on YouTube. :wall:

I once saw a young lad who had posted a guitar piece up to YouTube and made the mistake of mentioning the sadness in it being to do with the recent death of his Dad. Someone posted a response saying that if they had been the lads father they would have killed themselves due to having a son like him. That was a totally unforgivable comment by a despicable twisted mind. Unfortunately it's all too typical of people drunk on the power of being nasty on YouTube without the risk of a good punch in the mouth,

The comments that you got HBL - if they were genuinely felt - seem to come from a person who didn't understand what they were hearing or maybe just doesn't like the general style and is trying to justify their gut feeling by finding fault.

I've noticed that on Amazon among the reviews of the huge classic famous albums there will nearly always be at least one person ripping into it and decrying its qualities.

As for arpeggios I don't see the point of that criticism if you're playing in a melodic style - I don't recall arpeggios cascading from the guitar of Hank Marvin! As for not doing hammer ons and pull offs at such a slow speed - that just sounds mental - slower players need as big an arsenal of techniques as possible to provide some subtle variations and added interest in a recording - hammer ons and pull offs are essential.

I get the impression from the guys YouTube account that he likes the more flashy and technical stuff - and I noticed a distinct absence of any uploads by him of his own guitar abilities. So maybe an armchair critic.

Only worry about these sort of comments if several people all raise the same point - then it is more likely to be possibly worthy of thought. Even then I guess it's how you feel about the recording that's most important - but I know it's not that easy to ignore these 'critiques'.

I think your recordings long life in the Soundclick charts tells the real story. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks guys :)
I was limping on two thoughts :
1 - Ignore the guy.
2 - Fetch me a virtual can of petrol and a lighter and wooosh.

I didn't want to put down a genuine but ignorant figure just because he annoyed me :D

I'll remove his comments and see what happens
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

The better you get at what you do, the more these kinds of people come out of the woodwork! In the visual and literary arts they tell you to get used to rejection. Reason being most of it comes from individuals like this who don't really have a clue but can't resist saying something. Tells me alot about the wind bag making these comments.

Perhaps he'd be happy with one of MY Youtubes! (Should be forced to watch them.)

Yeah, take it with a grain of salt HBL. I just can't tolerate snotty people.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

If you follow his advice, your playing may change, but - it's no more HBL. So: ignore it.

Even Eric has bad comments on his finest solos.
He can't hold a guitar, he has no feeling (!!!), he has bad technique, xyz will play circles around him etc. :yikes:

Be honored that you're in the club! BTW - I wouldn't delete it. Take it as the pepper...
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks,

Well I kicked the comment anyway. I got some friends who would take it as a offense and before I know it I would have a senseless yt discussion.
I just am disgusted about the self important attitude of some of those trolls on youtube.
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

yeah HBL, it's all rubbish............you play the way you play, it's your style and your sense of rhythm and melody ( and it is wonderful by the way) . There are many mindless and thoughtless posts all over the internet. You will never please everyone........nor should you try.

I bet you have many great posts, all exuding your technique and playing style now don't you? :banana:

When I joined this forum, the one thing I noted and loved was the positive attitude here, critique yes, mean spirited, not here :music1:

TB
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Oke, HBL let the guy do. This is the highest sport of the ladder he will ever reach. If this kind of human being's died on there birthday we only have to wait 1 year an a day to get them out of this planet.
Keep playing like you do. I have give myself a present when i was 50 years From that moment I give myself permission........ to sound like i do :tease:
I give you the same :chicken: :chicken: ( as far as you been needed :wink: :high5: )
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

ElMano wrote:Oke, HBL let the guy do. This is the highest sport of the ladder he will ever reach. If this kind of human being's died on there birthday we only have to wait 1 year an a day to get them out of this planet.
Keep playing like you do. I have give myself a present when i was 50 years From that moment I give myself permission........ to sound like i do :tease:
I give you the same :chicken: :chicken: ( as far as you been needed :wink: :high5: )

Thanks ElMano,

I wasn't doubting myself or my playing... I just dislike the way people feel they have to put down another to get to their highs themselves.

Are you going to be @ Mariella's ?
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

:cool: This is the way people do. I have owned doggie sfor about 40 years, But when i show up whit a new pup every body want to give me advise how to train it hahaha. The more people i learn to know the more i like my dog :rofl: :rofl: :mercy:

I am not mobile at the moment The "Hippo" has a problem it lost his 5 gear some how :think: I am gonna fix it myself whit help from a garage but the Gearbox cant be revised before the 27 of this month :cry: and then i have to get the stuff back in. Otherwise a had already made an appointment whit you for Woody an The Woodycaster. I so much depend on your knowledge to get a sound out of it :pray: :pray:
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Darn, that's bad luck.
Well, about the help, just give me a call or Email, love to help.

It's a bit late to offer you a ride... I'll be leaving in an hour.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Huh... The ignorant windbags seem to leave my youtube posts alone. :icon_whoknows: Maybe I'm just not good enough to attract their attention. :phew:
Keep the faith, HBL, and ignore the twits. :D
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

A bit late, but i have an good excuse

Let them talk, thetre jealouse, we (and that is a lot more people how nows wat were talking about) tell different.

Play and post as muts as you can do we all love it here... :thumbsup:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

youtube...?

I say bring back the days of bribing an AM radio DJ to play your records. :music2: :wink:

"Video killed the radio star", or so they say. :oldie:
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.