The Woodycaster

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
ElMano

The Woodycaster

Post by ElMano »

Woody has been nearly finished The only things there are left to do is the decoration and painting. Just putting the dots in at the side and the fingerboard, sanding and put some transparent color and oil. Because there is a lot of time spending to dry I start building the next project The Woodycaster.
I had build a couple of Cigarboxguitars 3,4 and 6 strings. A friend of my ask me to join him on a projectband who want to play Swampblues.
So we want a washtubbass ore a Big Diddleybow, washboard, a Jug and so on. So i start to build a professional CBG. I have selected some material A maple stratneck 21 frets, a steelblock trem, a nice set of red-bobbin single coils. I could not find a cigarbox whit the right high quality (Cohiba box or something like that) So i made a sigarbox myself like the ones they use at the direction rooms on the table ( a kind of Humidor ) Today i do the routerjob, cavity,s tremmelo space, Neckpocket etc. Put the block at the Box.
It gonna have a full strat pickup set a tremmelo and a 3way toggel (placed into the violin hole) The 3 knobs gonna be placed like at a TELE. I am still thinking to place the strat jackplate allso.
Some pictures
Attachments
SP_A0255web.jpg
SP_A0255web.jpg (26.07 KiB) Viewed 11642 times
SP_A0261Web.jpg
SP_A0261Web.jpg (25.43 KiB) Viewed 11642 times
SP_A0260web.jpg
SP_A0260web.jpg (27.46 KiB) Viewed 11642 times
SP_A0259web.jpg
SP_A0259web.jpg (27.79 KiB) Viewed 11642 times
SP_A0258web.jpg
SP_A0258web.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 11642 times
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
2WheelsOfBlues

Re: The Woodycaster

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Do you have time left to play ???? :icon_whoknows: :lol: :wink:

The one isn't finished or the other is all ready on the working desk :D
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

There is still an other project that must be finished, but i didn't have the right pickup yet. Here name is given by a friend of mine he called here SEARS :high5:
Attachments
100_5846kl.JPG
100_5846kl.JPG (24.58 KiB) Viewed 11634 times
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

You are a very prolific craftsman ElMano! The Woodycaster is Wonderfully Stratifying! Looks beautiful (they all do) and I bet it's gonna sound great too.
2WheelsOfBlues wrote:Do you have time left to play ????

I was wondering the same thing. Hope we get to hear some of your projectband's music. Sounds like a lotta fun!
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Craftsman at work agin I see! :clap: :thumbsup:

Great looking guitars just roll off your production line - I like the way you can even make your own cigar boxes if needs be.

Like others I wonder how you find time to play? .... or how you find time to sleep! :big_smile:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Enough pics - I want sound! :drool:

Looks all VERY well made - congrats!
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Thanks guy's for your kind reactions. :pray: I can tell you that i have a lot of time left to do all kind of things. :music2: like playing on 1 of my other (15) guitars and sleep. I am moderator on 3 blues an rockabilly forums (the same as my good friend HBL) and writing columns on a blues site www.bluesrockpagina.com. The time i spend on building is from 14.00 till 16.30 and not on thursday (playing with the band in the evening) ore weekends. Than i had to drive my 1963 MGB ore Goldwing :high5: I was lucky that i have had a splendid education on woodworking. I have learned to shape wood at any form, even machine parts (templates) I don't like to watch television to much and so i had a lot of time to play in the evening. I use a Microcube (2Watt)and an expensive headphone, a couple of honderd gigabite blues beside me in the Laptop. So i play on the couch With Susan and Jimmie (my doggie)

As you can see i live a normal live after i retired at 55 years. People ask me if i wasn't bored "doing nothing" :think: Mwaahhh I live with it :nuts:
I tell them that a have "doing nothing" has upscaled to an academical level, and has became a pro at it :haha:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Well there I was, GREEN with envy at your guitar building skills. :D

Now that I've found you're working away at all this stuff having managed an early retirement at 55 - I have gone so GREEN everyone has been mistaking me for a frog. :drool:

Your lifestyle sounds wonderful - enjoy it all - and keep posting up pictures of your works in progress. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Because i want to get the projects finished before it is gonna bee a lot colder (the shack isn't heated) i want to get the 3 guitars oiled.
I bought a bottle of linseed-oil and what we called siccatief That is a fluid that makes it dry and hard, so it won't stay sticky.
After drying you can polish it but its more open than varnish. ( we use to conserve our wooden planes with it ) But you need temp. above the 16 degrees. To day i think i have all the shaping work done at the Woodycaster. ( as you can see it is based at the thinline, to )

To get a good sustain i used a simple trick that i have done at most of the guitars with a bolt on neck ( upgrade a cheap bolt on Neck Les Paul P90 the same way and the upgrade was really amazing) The 2e profit is that the neckpocket is les imporant wile turn in the screw's The neck didn't twisted. The dowel are 15 mm each and only glued in to the body.

I want a decal on the headstock but i could not print it on decal material. I have looking for a font and i found "Magneto" BUT i am still looking for that special font that was used on the American cars at the 50's 60's. So if you know the name of one of those fonts i love to hear from you.
Just as a method to get it on the headstock.
Attachments
SP_A0268web.jpg
SP_A0268web.jpg (21.74 KiB) Viewed 11564 times
SP_A0267web.jpg
SP_A0267web.jpg (27.64 KiB) Viewed 11564 times
SP_A0266web.jpg
SP_A0266web.jpg (31.63 KiB) Viewed 11564 times
SP_A0265web.jpg
SP_A0265web.jpg (25.62 KiB) Viewed 11564 times
SP_A0264web.jpg
SP_A0264web.jpg (19.95 KiB) Viewed 11564 times
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Today i made a few hours more at the shack, and after the oil become dry i polish the wood a bit. It has to oiled a couple of times more but the result is amazing. Nice satin glow and now greasy feels just soft an slick. I know for sure that i will use it on "Woody" and "SearS" to. (I got some water based yellow an dark brown to get some nice color shade at the white maple, before the oil gets on)

Because the drying fluid the oil is very quick not sticky anymore. So i start putting the parts together and every thing fits alright. If Woody is at the same level i made an appointment with HBL To put the pickups the toggle and the pots together :think: :nuts: because thats not my specialty. :shy:

This is the result till now after the electric parts are working i made some little details The Hinge's of a cigarbox and a little special brass cigar box lock.
I am working on a logo for the headstock.
Attachments
SP_A0273web.jpg
SP_A0273web.jpg (24.21 KiB) Viewed 11543 times
SP_A0270web.jpg
SP_A0270web.jpg (20 KiB) Viewed 11543 times
SP_A0269web.jpg
SP_A0269web.jpg (17.91 KiB) Viewed 11543 times
SP_A0274web.jpg
SP_A0274web.jpg (33.89 KiB) Viewed 11543 times
SP_A0277web.jpg
SP_A0277web.jpg (14.62 KiB) Viewed 11543 times
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

That is SO cool! :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

We solved a lot of trouble but at last it is happens! :clap: Sound :cool: I assemble the parts again after HBL was ready with the wiring stuff.
Last Friday i picked here up and HBL, our wives's an i get into the City to pay a visit at the jazz and Blues festival.
Saturday i fine tuned and intonate the Woodycaster. Today i took some sound samples. Just Noodling over an slowblues BT

The sounds samples let hear a run over the three PUP's Neck , Bridge, and the middle. The middle is made to blend in on the Neck and bridge by twist the 2e tone knob.

No sound effects ore anything els where used. Just me WC and the Paevey studio pro. Hope you like it a bit.

https://www.box.com/s/6a61c755b787fe9053ba