Rhodes to Nowhere

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Rhodes to Nowhere

Post by VikingBlues »

I don't know what the heck style this is?!! :icon_whoknows:

But .... when your house has the word 'Rhodes' in it's name and you see a 'blues' BT called 'Dirt Rhodes' (Kevin McLeod - incompetech.com) and it's mostly in E which is your preferred open tuning for slide - well, you've got to have a go at it, especially when the weekend is almost over and you've hardly played guitar. :sad:

Dunno if I'll ever get the hang of playing two lead parts and gelling them together as if it's two different players bouncing lines of each other.

PRS SE panned right in open E with slide. 'Strat' panned left. In a departure from my normal sounds I've tried to give both guitars a bit of dirt in the sound to fit the BT name. Apologies for a bit of buzzing on the sound - too tired to wrestle with it! :yawn:
Rhodes To Nowhere : http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11039965

download/file.php?id=1309
Attachments

'Rhodes to Nowhere' improv
Rhodes to Nowhere.mp3 - (1.75 MiB)

Last edited by VikingBlues on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blackhorse

Re: Rhodes to Nowhere

Post by Blackhorse »

Great stuff VB! :clap:

The strat actually sounds like part of the BT - BT sounds great by the way. And the PRS really sounds cool with a bit of dirt, good job.

Very moody and atmospheric, I love it :high5:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

:pray: :clap: :clap:
This is excellent! A hint of Chris Rea in the slide, beautiful fills on the Strat... I like your tone with both guitars. A hint of gain suits your playing nicely. I thought you melded the two guitars very well (not the easiest thing to do...). Really nice moody piece. One of my favorites that I have heard you do. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

WOW.....VB, you are correct, not sure what style this is? I think it has a sort of modern, electric delta blues vibe going on. Very nice job with the dual guitar parts. Really liking your slide playing. :dance: :banana:
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

:pray: :pray: :pray: Geeeeeeze VB,...
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

A nice one VB, I like the ambience/atmosphere you created with both guitars :clap: :clap:
Nice tone and playing :thumbsup:
Jan 15th 2007
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Blindboy wrote: A hint of Chris Rea in the slide...
Funny, this was my first thought, too. Together with this Delta-ish sound this tone is supernatural... and the strat fits excellent. :pray:

You've been at the Crossrhodes at midnight??
losaavedra

Post by losaavedra »

I played this expecting something different but I've subsequently listened to it several more times. To me it comes across as a very good bit of playing that achieves something quite rare when busking to a BT ... not just a backing track with some guy tinkering away separately but a fully integrated tune where it's darn hard to see the joins ... and that's often pretty hard to do. Good balance, loads of soul, mystique, etc. ... pity its rather short. Looking forward to more of same approach!!!!!
Mike
"I feel more like I do now than when I first came on" (Ronnie Scott, Maidstone)
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Gee whizz! Many thanks guys - I rather enjoyed putting this together but I didn't expect as strong a response. Y'all gladden my guitar loving heart. :big_smile:
Blindboy wrote:A hint of Chris Rea in the slide
12bar wrote:Funny, this was my first thought, too.
..and that certainly gladdens me - I love the emotion and feel in Chris Rea's slide playing and if I can hint at that I'm ecstatic ... now if I could only just sing like him!!!!!

I'm pleased to see quite a few comments about the integration of the lead parts with the BT - it's something I try to work at - I like to feel like I'm playing and interacting with musicians and not just using the BT as a backdrop to me trying to be a star (haaa - I wish)! :roll: But I love these really musical BTs that spark ideas and moods - they're hard to track down though.

As I'm unable to "imress" with speed and pyrotechnics I'm also very pleased that I've hit the right spot with some of you on the mood / ambience aspect. I'll admit I'm also especially glad on the positive reaction to my 'wee bit of dirt' effect - I've been fighting for years to get something reasonable going on that front, but it's a struggle - usually more gain=more pain for me. :wall:
losaavedra wrote:pity its rather short
Leave them wanting more - that's the ticket.
12bar wrote:You've been at the Crossrhodes at midnight??
:lol: Nice one! ... and I wish I had. :cool:
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Yes i was thinking the same, road to hell fron Chris Rea, the intro....

sow the Rhodes to nowhere is going somewhere :big_smile:

Like it VB, very nice job :thumbsup: :clap:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Amazing stuff VB
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thank you 2WOB, HBL - much appreciated. :D
2WheelsOfBlues wrote:Yes i was thinking the same, road to hell fron Chris Rea, the intro....

sow the Rhodes to nowhere is going somewhere :big_smile:
:lol: :thumbsup:

Seriously, if I have a road to hell it's a road that the guitar has a big part in steering me away from. The guitar road is one of only a few of lifes roads where i feel I have any control over where I am going and one of only a few roads down which I feel it's worth travelling.
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

VikingBlues wrote:The guitar road is one of only a few of lifes roads where i feel I have any control over where I am going and one of only a few roads down which I feel it's worth travelling.
Well it is worth a lot from what i hear, and it's going strait up :wink:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks again 2WOB. :D

Here's a link to the BT page - I would really love to hear anyone elses interpretation on the Dirt Rhodes BT - I can't think of it now in any other way than what I've recorded.
http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free ... enre=Blues

Interesting (well to me) point cropped up today.

I've had several failed attempts at slide. Open D was the usual that I had been using - sometimes open G. This time the teaching videos kicked off with Open E and it really clicked. That same series of lessons then went to open A - when I reached the last lesson in the series so far uploaded, I went back to open E because it just seems so much easier to find the notes I want to hear.

:aha: It turns out that my main slide influence (Chris Rea - in case anyones not noticed) uses Open E. In fact he uses Open E for ordinary lead guitar not just slide. I'm pretty sure it has a strong influnence on his note choices and sound (rather like 'Keef' and his open G rhythm playing). It maybe goes some way to explaining why it 'clicked' for me learning in Open E.