Hello from Cambridge UK

Guest book, site news and suggestions, introductions
CarsickPhil

Hello from Cambridge UK

Post by CarsickPhil »

I am a classical guitarist of some immediate ability, who started to play blues guitar a couple of years ago and now like playing slide guitar. I look forward to learning from everyone on this site and sharing ideas that may arise along the way. Very recently I started posting on youtube to amuse my niece on her birthday and have posted one or two things since. Just click on CarsickPhil to go to my profile where you'll find my website is set to my youtube channel if you're interested.
VikingBlues

Re: Hello from Cambridge UK

Post by VikingBlues »

:welcome: to the forum - I like the name you've chose BTW. :big_smile:

I had a view of the YouTube videos and applaud the inventiveness for a start - 'Happy Birthday' on slide was a surprise and the idea of 'Orlando Sleepeth' on slide works would never have occurred to me in a million years, and it's impressive the way you've even got some variations out of that too.

There's also an impressive precision to your playing, and really solid rhythm :clap: - I guess if you've taken classical guitar seriously to a high enough level you have to have that quality - I used to play classical and took lessons to a fairly serious stage but RSI crept in and at that point my interest was also on the wane. I find blues playing has a freedom that suits my nature more and I love improv - which is not really on the menu with classical guitar.

I've only recently taken up slide properly - I'd tried a few times and didn't get anywhere - a series of lessons with Eric Madis on Jamplay finally made something click - and using the slide on the little finger and getting a proper fitting glass slide helped a lot too. I love the way slide sounds nice and bluesy with so much less effort than playing 'normally'. :banana:

You've picked a great site for learning more about and getting an insight into blues - there's a load of very good players here and they don't leave the less adept and less knowledgable of us feeling inferior or put down the way some forums members do. Their encouragement has been of huge benefit to my blues guitar playing aspirations.

I notice you said on one of the YouTube videos 'but probably happier with slow blues'. I can identify with that - big time.

Hope you enjoy your time here. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
CarsickPhil

Post by CarsickPhil »

Just had a look at your website VikingBlues. And I found the two clips of your playing that are tucked away there. Nice work.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Welcome here CSP
I'll have a listen a little later

Yeah That where some good listens. Good technique, fantastic note choices.
Couldn't help noticing you seem to be counting while playing and reading music from paper while playing seems a to influence your fluency in playing a little.
Time and practice will heal that :D
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

:welcome: from the mountains of New Mexico.
Great name... :thumbsup: Will give your stuff a listen.
I play a bit of slide... acoustic and electric... but am pretty primitive with it.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:welcome: at 12bar!

It's never too late to dig the Blues, even for those nylon guys... :lol:

Seriously, I can imagine that slide guitar for a classical guitar player is a whole new world. And you succeeded! :thumbsup:

PS: the volume on the variations video is very low - is it just me/my damn PC?

PSS: I like the nick, too :D
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

CarsickPhil wrote:Just had a look at your website VikingBlues. And I found the two clips of your playing that are tucked away there. Nice work.
Thank you :D - hope you didn't get hit by the tumbleweed blowing around my site - it's not on a well beaten track! Videos ... I can get the video camera in focus but I wish I could get my mind to focus on my playing when I'm recording on video - the closer it gets to the end of the recording the worse it gets too - all I can think is "don't make a mistake...don't make a mistake....". Not helpful for note choices or effective phrasing. Don't know why it's so much trickier than doing an audio recording. :icon_whoknows:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

:wave: CarsickPhil :welcome: here,

Greatings from the Netherlands :wink:

Nice to have you on this great club
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

:welcome:
big HOWDY from Texas....welcome aboard. Couldn't have chosen a nicer bunch of blues folks here.....

tytlblues
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

:welcome: CSP... Welcome to the forum. I'll check out your YouTubes. Sounds like you have a lot to offer.
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
kiwiclapton

Post by kiwiclapton »

Kia Ora Bro,

Chur....
In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand, Amen.