I'm back, plus Clapton's new CD

Talking Blues, news, cool links
12bar
Site Admin

I'm back, plus Clapton's new CD

Post by 12bar »

Hi,

just back from vacation - 3 weeks no guitar, no music, not even internet :eye_rub:
:welcome: to all new members. Many things to read and listen!

EC will release his collab with Wynton Marsalis on Sep. 13 this year. Some songs are already on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2maQz47BPeY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1DGTfQvB9o

Like on his last CD, EC seems to be (too?) interested in the New Orleans style... :icon_whoknows:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005974C94/?ta ... amp=211189
VikingBlues

Re: I'm back, plus Clapton's new CD

Post by VikingBlues »

Hope you had a good relaxing break. :D

Though 3 weeks :eye_rub: with no guitar music or internet sounds like some too powerful medicine - does you good, but the first taste can be bad.

Interesting on the Wynton Marsalis collab - I must keep an ear open for any samples of the CD tracks. I expect I'm in a minority (again!) but I rather like that new version of Layla you linked.

I did like the last CD too though, so I'm probably a bit out of step with a lot of the fanbase.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Hey welcome back :welcome:
Good news, not telling, kept spammers out :banana:

I already know you had a awesome vacation, you guys deserved that !
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
drockadam

Post by drockadam »

Welcome back! Clapton and Marsalis will be great on DVD! The songs on YouTube are bootlegs, the real thing will of course be in stunning quality. Eric is also realising a new album called "Eric Clapton Plays The Blues" it should be out in November. If anyone lives in Columbus, Ohio, scope around closely. Eric is currently there. I was told by a fan, they saw him at a local restaurant with his wife and kids. :handshake: :thumbsup:
Keep The Blues Alive,

- Adam De Rocco
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

drockadam wrote:Eric is also realising a new album called "Eric Clapton Plays The Blues" it should be out in November.
Yeah, right! http://www.ericclaptonmusicnews.com/war ... -november/ :thumbsup:
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

May be his last album was not so successfull due to its jazzy style.
Check out this link, there's some details regarding the content of this new album.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/eric-c ... lue,21142/

LOS ANGELES—Musician Eric Clapton announced Wednesday that his next album, Eric Clapton Plays The Blues, would be a collection of songs primarily influenced by blues music, a genre the 66-year-old guitarist said he enjoys very much. "I've always been interested in blues music, and this album will really explore that interest," Clapton told reporters, explaining that many of the new songs would feature long blues guitar solos, repeating 12-bar-blues chord structures, and lyrical themes centered around both getting and continuing to have the blues. "I'm fairly confident about the project, as I plan to sing with a sort of forlorn, bluesy quality in my voice, and I'll be playing a lot of E, A, and B chords, along with all the blue notes of the scale. Just pure and simple blues, really." Clapton later admitted that while each track would definitely be inspired by blues music, the final product might actually be more of a blues-rock album.
Jan 15th 2007
roswellj

Post by roswellj »

I don't mind this version of Layla. Certainly not my favourite but it is good all the same. Not my preferred style of music to listen to but I'll buy the album and listen to it all the same. I find even on clapton records that I don't like overall I will still put them on if there is a particular song or moment in a song of brilliance. For instance I was not a huge fan of the clapton and friends DVD but the version of little wing on it is brilliant.
If he releases a new 'blues rock' cd however I will be onto that like a flash.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

vancouverois wrote:...Clapton told reporters, explaining that many of the new songs would feature long blues guitar solos, repeating 12-bar-blues chord structures...
Maybe he should post it here in the Blues Room... :lol:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Hell Yeah......
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
drockadam

Post by drockadam »

I'm excited for this new album of Eric's! EricClaptonMusicNews.com removed the link off their site??? I wonder why?
Keep The Blues Alive,

- Adam De Rocco
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

I didn't mind the last Album , "Clapton" .....it had some decent tracks on it .... but too many of the NewOrleans bluesy Jazz sound to make it a really memorable offering - Plus he didn't promote it out on the Road which was a shame and slightly odd ... 1 song I think at the RAH gig.

If its Got EC on the packet - I mostly just pre-order the CD... this time I shall wait and get a full review ... I am not much interested in EC playing with Marsalis to be frank ...so the less of that on the CD the better .But the title at least gives some hope and some promise of something Bluesy.

I am hoping for something of the quality of "From the Cradle" or the "Me and Mr Johnson" CD/DVD

Will have to wait and see.......................... But fingers crossed !
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
LeftyCanuck

Post by LeftyCanuck »

Gotta love The Onion.

In all seriousness there's supposed to be a boxed set re-releasing several of albums as one package (off the top of my head I think From the Cradle, Riding With the King and Me and Mr. Johnson). Kinda disappointing.... I'd much rather have a "Crossroads 3 Live in the 1980s-1990s" 4 disc boxed set!
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

I was all excited about this until I realized it was an onion aritcle. Damn.
Let me tell you what the blues is....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

deltabluesrookie

Post by deltabluesrookie »

Welcome back Man!! Ive been away from this site for quite a while sry guys.

So im confused is the new album that boxed set? Or it is more blues music that we all love. :music1:
"I'm Bad...like Jesse james"