Went and saw Eric Johnson sat night..

Talking Blues, news, cool links
StratLover2

Went and saw Eric Johnson sat night..

Post by StratLover2 »

Hi all!

First off, I apologize for the lack of pictures for this show, I had my iPhone, but only my mother took pictures, and as soon as I can, I'll get 'em up. I was so enthralled with both the opening band (The MIchael Williams Band, a new hot rockin blues band, check 'em out!), and the main act (Eric Johnson), that I forgot to take pictures! It was at a fancy place in San Diego called Anthology, where it is like a dinner club with the stage inside.

We were up on the top balcony looking down on the stage, perfect for watching the guitar work of the bands. The Michael Williams Band was pretty hot and smoking, they opened with a rendition of Voodoo Child, and then Michael Williams switched from what appeared to be an Olympic White Jeff Beck Strat to a Jazzmaster, which he played lapstyle slide on.

Then the main act came on, Eric Johnson and his trio. They were really amazing. I have always wanted to see Eric Johnson, ever since I heard Cliffs of Dover.

Here is a youtube video of him live in the 90's playing Cliffs of Dover, so ya'll can get a feeling of how he plays:
VnqpOFcBiMM

And here is the setlist for interest:

Fat Daddy
Dear Prudence
Gem
The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise
Austin
Mr. P.C.
Hard Times
"Title"
Like A Rolling Stone
Anthem For Today
When The Sun Meets The Sky (which had an amazing extended solo)
Cliffs Of Dover

P.S Also a cool thing, during the show, Michael Williams himself and his girlfriend came up to watch Eric Johnson in a chair a couple of feet from ours!)
bluesfreek

Re: Went and saw Eric Johnson sat night..

Post by bluesfreek »

How very cool! Thanks for the review of both bands. Eric Johnson is awesome!
jjbennett

Post by jjbennett »

You luck git!

I love Eric Johnson, Gem, is definitely one of his best songs in my opinion (Lonely in the night is a fucking masterpiece). I either missed his UK tour or he doesn't seem to come over here. :( How was the sound?
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

The sound was just about perfect where we were sitting. EJ had a great sound IMO. I really liked Gem, Hard Times and Cliffs the best.