New ride...

Everything that doesn't fit elsewhere
Blindboy

New ride...

Post by Blindboy »

Not music related, but something I have been working toward for a while now. I finally have it home (the fire set me back a bit...), and insured. The title and a set of tires are next, then I will start riding it to work. Miriam and I are already planning excursions to places like Taos and Red River. :big_smile:
001 - Copy.JPG
001 - Copy.JPG (54.05 KiB) Viewed 18455 times
003 - Copy.JPG
003 - Copy.JPG (59.52 KiB) Viewed 18455 times
It is a 1976 BMW R90/6... My first German bike (I usually have Brit bikes), I am pretty excited about this. :chicken:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
vancouverois

Re: New ride...

Post by vancouverois »

Nice bike congrats! :thumbsup:
I've had two of them, the first was a '78 R800/7 and the second an early '80s R65.
Both were very good rider and very reliable.
I am in the process of restoring a '73 R75/5, not easy to get the parts.
Jan 15th 2007
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

vancouverois wrote: not easy to get the parts.
Boy Howdy! The starter for this cost over $500. :yikes:
Good luck with your R75. I would be interested in seeing the finished project, or a progress report. :thumbsup:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Over here in it's homeland you can get a lot on ebay. Let me know if...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Vintage bikes too Blindboy - classy - you do have some taste in your hobbies! :thumbsup:

Don't have a clue about motor-bikes (didn't have a bike when I was a kid, and I've never felt comfortable on two wheels as a result) so I had to look it up on Google - I like the way 0-100 km/hr in 4.8 seconds is cslled modest! :yikes:

Good luck with getting it up and running - enjoy and drive safely. :D
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Wow, that's a great ride
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

VikingBlues wrote:I like the way 0-100 km/hr in 4.8 seconds is cslled modest!
Hah! I will never find out if it can do that! :whistle:
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

Back in the day when I rode a whole lot more, you didn't see many Beemer riders out on the highway. Reason was they would pass you so fast you could only hear them! When I did see and talk to them in gas stations, cafes or road houses along the way they would tell me of their thousand-mile days or how many states they had ridden in that day. They were hard core, hard assed, and way out in front all the time. Probably still are. I got a feelin' you'll be quite comfortable in that company!

I always desired one of those boxer twins but I'm probably going to hang on to my old machine. She is getting to be a handfull anymore.
Still I can dream of a more modern machine like you guys have!

Keep the rubber side down BlindBoy!
Attachments
1951 Harley Hydra-Glide
1951 Harley Hydra-Glide
high flyin' lady 003.JPG (83.56 KiB) Viewed 18379 times
1951 Hydra-Glide
1951 Hydra-Glide
high flyin' lady 006.JPG (77.28 KiB) Viewed 18379 times
1951 Hydra-Glide
1951 Hydra-Glide
high flyin' lady 007.JPG (83.96 KiB) Viewed 18379 times
1951 Hydra-Glide
1951 Hydra-Glide
high flyin' lady 010.JPG (73.85 KiB) Viewed 18379 times
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Woah! That's a mighty fine machine! :drool:
I admit, I am not that much of a Harley fan, but that is a beauty. I did help my Dad build a sweet one back in OK in the '90's...
harley.jpg
harley.jpg (30.92 KiB) Viewed 18370 times
I am really a classic cafe racer fan, and I have plans for the BMW... (mild ones)

By the way, have you checked your PMs? We are planning to head that way for the music fest in August.
:peace:
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Blindboy wrote: Good luck with your R75. I would be interested in seeing the finished project, or a progress report. :thumbsup:
Thanks!
I just sold what I had, actually a frame with just a dead motor without cylinders.
I found out it was a modified frame, modified for side car but my registration doesn't mention
that it was rebuilt for side car. Even if I could rebuild it, in theory I can't use it on the road unless
I go into an expensive and long process of homologation :naughty:
Anyway I am in the market for a 75/5 in parts or to rebuild as I kept my registration.

I also have this little '76 Suzie Q to sell in order to raise some funds.
Completely restored almost to the original specs.
I think it was called Duster in the US.
TS125_002.jpg
TS125_002.jpg (219.25 KiB) Viewed 18360 times
TS125_001.jpg
TS125_001.jpg (175.84 KiB) Viewed 18360 times
Jan 15th 2007
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

oneeyedslide wrote:Back in the day when I rode a whole lot more, you didn't see many Beemer riders out on the highway. Reason was they would pass you so fast you could only hear them! When I did see and talk to them in gas stations, cafes or road houses along the way they would tell me of their thousand-mile days or how many states they had ridden in that day. They were hard core, hard assed, and way out in front all the time. Probably still are. I got a feelin' you'll be quite comfortable in that company!

I always desired one of those boxer twins but I'm probably going to hang on to my old machine. She is getting to be a handfull anymore.
Still I can dream of a more modern machine like you guys have!

Keep the rubber side down BlindBoy!
:yikes: Pretty nice HD !! :thumbsup:

I did 750 km straight (going to the Bol d'Or) in the very same day with the 80/7 beemer I had.
I wasn't that tired at the end of the day. I did the same trip with a '78 Gold Wing the year
before and the heavy weight of the bike made the things feeling different. :whistle:
Jan 15th 2007
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

:wave: Blind Boy. It looks like we share more than the love for blues, dogs, and guitars. I ride a bike from the moment is was 18 and get my license. In the meantime i have seen more water on the road over here in Holland than i have seen on my sailboat :alright: I was a riding mushroom farm because my overall never dry :peace:

But i still have my bike. After a lot of bikes German, Italian, American, this is the second flat four.
Attachments
motor%20002 klein.jpg
motor%20002 klein.jpg (31.09 KiB) Viewed 18354 times
motor%20003 klein.jpg
motor%20003 klein.jpg (40.97 KiB) Viewed 18354 times
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
roswellj

Post by roswellj »

Dad had one of those r90's when I was a kid that he had done up as a cafe racer, was really nice. Then he mostly had triumphs after that.
I run two bikes at the moment, a triumph thruxton (which I have no picture of on my computer) and a Yamaha Tenere. I think that the blues and motorcycle riding have a similar kind of sentiment behind them. There's nothing like riding down a long lonely highway by yourself singing some blues inside your helmet... well I do anyway :lol:

I'm organising a big ride for charity next year where I'll be riding the Tenere 15,000km around Australia in just 3 weeks raising money for australias leukaemia foundation.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

@ Roswellj... The Thruxton is far and away my favorite of the new Triumphs. :drool:
El Mano... Nice looking GW. Looks like you could cover some miles. :thumbsup:
VC... too bad about the R75... That Suzuki looks brand new! :thumbsup:
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

Nice bikes, all.

OES, that '51 Hydra-Glide is sweet.

I don't have any old bike pics that I can post here, but I enjoyed viewing those that were posted. I started riding scooters(Cushman) when I was 9 or 10 years old. I rode until my early 20's and owned a lot of nice bikes. I was always partial to the British twins. A Norton 850 Interstate and a Triumph Daytona were the last two bikes I owned.

If I was riding today, I'd want a nicely restored BMW R50 or R60. One like this would be nice:http://bmwdean.com/red-bike.jpg

or this:http://www.mklsportster.com/ttr60.jpg

For Blindboy:http://www.sjbmwracing.com/BikeClubTank ... istens.jpg

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads1 ... 520151.jpg
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

DeaconBlues wrote:One like this would be nice:http://bmwdean.com/red-bike.jpg
Really like the older three on the left. Earles Forks and Plunger-style rear suspension! I almost bought one but the guy changed his mind when I showed up with cash! :tears:
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

roswellj wrote: I'm organising a big ride for charity next year where I'll be riding the Tenere 15,000km around Australia in just 3 weeks raising money for australias leukaemia foundation.
:yikes: A lot of mileage, but for a very good cause. Congrats! :clap:
Jan 15th 2007
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Blindboy wrote:
VC... too bad about the R75... That Suzuki looks brand new! :thumbsup:
Thanks! I am going to look around and also in the classifieds for a complete /5 serie instead of scoring
parts. Then I will have one, no matter the model as far it is a /5 serie, I can rebuild it to the 75/5 specs.
I guess it is a better way and certainly less $$ to spend to get it up and running.
I still have the registration :thumbsup:

:oldie: I am addicted to vintage bikes :big_smile:
Jan 15th 2007
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

Blindboy wrote:
I am really a classic cafe racer fan
same here... im only 18 and dont have a bike license, but when i do im gonna get a cafe racer... mainly becuase im really starting to get in to rock and roll and rockabilly........
"Playing the blues is like being black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed out on both counts, but I never noticed" - BB king
oldskoolchop

Post by oldskoolchop »

PICT0013.JPG
PICT0013.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 18189 times
PICT0012.JPG
PICT0012.JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 18189 times
This is mine, the first is a shot of the clutch attached to the side that I made one night working graveyards in a machine shop. the second is the bike it self that I built and is in its 2nd reincarnation. Right now it has a short and in need of being rewired, hard-tails can be hard on electrical components.