zepp

Talking Blues, news, cool links
tradrrr

zepp

Post by tradrrr »

Hi all,

I haven't been around in a while, just didn't have much to contribute. But I came across this video which is pretty interesting:

http://www.everythingisaremix.info/watch-the-series/

The first part talks about Led Zepp and why they were criticized so much (by Clapton, too, I think). I've always had a hard time reconciling this in my mind. On one hand, Zepp got me into classic rock, which got me into Clapton, which got me into the blues. But then you learn they didn't give props to those they should have and its always in the back of your mind.

All this said, I saw Plant a few weeks back and he was really good.
Let me tell you what the blues is....
12bar
Site Admin

Re: zepp

Post by 12bar »

Clapton didn't criticize Led Zep much AFAIK (Page was his producer in early days!), but the fans did, and Jack Bruce did some harsh comments on them. They did some covers without proper credits, unlike Cream, and some people were not happy about this. But that's history.
Nice link btw!
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

Thanks 12bar!

I thought I remember reading a little slap In the Clapton autobiography, but I could be wrong.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

No, you're right, there are a few comments about their take on Blues. But EC and Page are still friends.
I need to re-read it... :big_smile:
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

Me, too, 12bar!

I found a bootleg of a Clapton/Page/Beck concert recently. Just one of the many concerts i wish i would have seen....
LeftyCanuck

Post by LeftyCanuck »

tradrrr wrote:Me, too, 12bar!

I found a bootleg of a Clapton/Page/Beck concert recently. Just one of the many concerts i wish i would have seen....
For Beck and Clapton... from what I've seen Page was so far gone on whatever his drug of choice was at the time most of his performances were lackluster. There's a youtube video somewhere of an all instrumental Stairway to Heaven that is downright SLOPPY. At the end Beck and Clapton come in to trade solos and they kinda have this "oh god what a train-wreak" look on their faces.
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

Thanks, lefty!

I'm thinking you're talking about this one:

sOA9NEmw32A

I had never seen this before. It's cool to see them all up on stage together. As for the drugs being the problem, it was also what helped make some of the great music we love so much. So maybe the answer is just don't over do it. ha. (psa to the kids, don't do too much drugs, just enough to make you creative)
LeftyCanuck

Post by LeftyCanuck »

tradrrr wrote:Thanks, lefty!

I'm thinking you're talking about this one:

I had never seen this before. It's cool to see them all up on stage together. As for the drugs being the problem, it was also what helped make some of the great music we love so much. So maybe the answer is just don't over do it. ha. (psa to the kids, don't do too much drugs, just enough to make you creative)
Yep that's the one.

I can barely play my guitar right after 2 beers! I can't imagine how all those rock 'n rollers and bluesmen did it three sheets to the wind.