What gear do you regret not having anymore?

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
oneeyedslide

What gear do you regret not having anymore?

Post by oneeyedslide »

Been keeping up on the "What Gear do you have..." thread. Always an interesting topic.

I got to thinking about a couple of guitars I used to have that slipped away (much to my regret!). So I thought It might be fun to hear of other members experiences trading off gear that they later wish they had hung on to.

I know DeaconBlues had a Teisco guitar of some kind. I'd like to know more. I bet there's some other good (and sad) stories out there!

I'll start out with : A J50 Gibson acoustic I bought new in 1966.
A Maple fretboard Telecaster with a Bigsby wammy bar (had an "F" for "Fender" cast into it). Came with a tweed
Fender case.
A Peavey Classic 20 tube combo amp. !0" speaker, 15watts. No longer made.

All sad stories too! All I can say (without divulging details) is that the decisions were all my own. I have only myself to blame. I'll probably think of more...
Attachments
O E Slyde, Angie, and Tom 001.JPG
O E Slyde, Angie, and Tom 001.JPG (27.32 KiB) Viewed 10121 times
losaavedra

Re: What gear do you regret not having anymore?

Post by losaavedra »

Top of my list would go the Linear Concord 30W valve amp I used for over sixty gigs in 1963. Everything I have today is solid state but I have fond memories of the sound of that old beast ... at least as I remember it! Loud enough for anything from small club to big ballroom or theatre. I also would like to still own the 100W Selmer T&B amp I once had. Tubes again!

Next would come a Hofner Club guitar with a Bigsby, similarly a Colorama, that I can no longer remember the going of in late sixties.

Finally an 'anonymous' classical guitar I bought for around thirty quid and owned for twenty years that I used for flamenco after stripping it down and re-doing the finish mostly with French polish. That one was 'borrowed' by one of my daughter's gipsy chums here in Spain ... and was never seen again!

Good idea this thread, it often isn't the 'value' that matters, it's more the memories, although they're not so reliable in my case these days!
Mike
"I feel more like I do now than when I first came on" (Ronnie Scott, Maidstone)
BadBluesPlayer

Post by BadBluesPlayer »

I had a Blues Junior NOS Tweed that I sold to buy another amp and I wish I had kept it. It was a pretty good amp.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I have two regrets, but oddly not regrets for not having the gear anymore. :icon_whoknows:

I regret that I fell out of love with the sounds of my Tokai LC85 as I was absolutely bowled over by it when I first got it and its sad to lose the joy in something. When we parted company at the end of last year I was even finding it difficult to listen to recordings I'd made that had that guitar playing on them. I've never had such an extreme change of opinion of a guitar in 40+ years. It coincided with a strong swing in my gut reaction to the comparative sounds of single coil and humbucker pickups so I don't think it was the Tokais fault - just my ears.

I regret the reasons that led me to sell a Gibson SG Standard to pay unexpected vets bills. It only took playing one note trying out an SG to know it was really good but oddly I found a Vintage V100 was adequate to cover the absence of the SG. I wasn't playing very well back then at all though so I probably didn't get the proper benefit of the SGs quality. :alright:

I must be hard-hearted or something. If I'm not using a guitar or a piece of gear and haven't been for several months I really don't feel too upset about the thought of letting it go. My thoughts about the Tokai were that i would rather it be played by someone that would appreciate those qualities.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
weelie

Post by weelie »

I am in the same boat with VikingBlues... don't really regret any gear I've sold. Would I buy any one of them at the same price I sold them for... maybe one or two, or maybe not.

(here's some I've had:
Squier Bullet 2008 (modded by Rob DiStefano) 210
Koaloha pinapple soprano ukulele 220
Mahi Mahi soprano ukulele
Fluke concert ukulele 70
Alvarezin OM-style guitar 340
Fender VibroChamp '65 (Weber 8A125, EH tubes) 650
Epiphone EF-500R 400
A&L Ami Cedar 267
Martin LXK-2 160
Fender Deluxe Super Strat 1998 600
Richwood Telecaster (52RI pickups & tuners) 270
Fender MIM 50s Telecaster 400
Yamaha C-40 650mk
Tokai MIK Les Paul Custom 3000mk
MIJ Squier strato 1993 (Fender logo) 3500
Seagull dreadnought 500
custom tele (Rio Grande Muy Grande pickups) 270
MIJ 50s strat 1996 3500mk
Yamaha 2HB-telecaster 1500mk
Landola "A-85" 120
Johnson UK-505 170€ ukulele
Park by Marshall 10R amp 900mk) )
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

I sold a bunch of gear in order to move out here to the mountains. The doctors had told me I had to quit playing, because of CTS, and my band had fallen apart (due partly to the evil bottle), so I was getting rid of stuff right and left. :roll: I gave a friend an old Danelectro with a single lipstick tube pickup (it was cool, had only one pickup, but it had a PU selector switch :icon_whoknows: ) and a '63 Alamo amp. I don't really regret that, just remember them fondly. One I do regret selling, was a G&L Asat Classic, with ebony fretboard, jumbo frets, and a paint job that was such a deep, dark green that I thought it was black for the first year I owned it. I wasn't crazy about the sound, but it was one of the best playing guitars I have ever picked up. I wish I had hung on to it, and stuck some P-90s in it.
That's about it... most of the guitars I have really loved, I have kept. :whistle:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy - Aaaargh! :yikes:

Painful story - that's such a crying shame. I'm SO glad you (however it happened) realised the medical advice was flawed. :thumbsup:

To think that the "Early in the Morning 6 15 11" I've just so enjoyed listening to could well have not existed (along with a good few more) had you not taken up playing again. :wall: I feel bad about joking about you making me regret selling my SG on the "What gear do you regret not having now" thread now that I've seen this. :shy:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

The only thing I regret selling was the first instrument I bought - a black Yamaha P-style bass guitar. It came with a hard-case, I'd started taking a few bass lessons off a friend and I was astonished that I could actually play something. I stuck with it for about 6 months before deciding I'd like to move to 6 strings and learn some chords, so I sold the bass to fund an archtop guitar. It was a solid bass, played well and sounded good, nothing special. I intended to buy another decent bass guitar when I could afford it, but I never got round to it. It was a solid bass, played well and sounded good, nothing special.
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

Bought a Les Paul goldtop reissue in the late 70s, it was a 70 or 71 . Got married, had kids, wasn't playing much so finally sold the guitar to a co worker, a few years ago ran into a freind of the coworker , told me the goldtop got knocked off the stand one night in a bar, broke the neck. Had a Peavey classic 50 head and a 212 cabinet with 2 revernd all tone speakers in it, sold it to my son in law, a year or so later realized I should have kept it. Talked with my daughter about it , he had traded it in at GC for a guitar, Oh Well!
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

An '85 Telecaster, the '62 double bound body Japanese reissue.
I sold it to fund my first MIA Strat, I just wish I had enough cash to
keep the Tele and buy the Strat.
Jan 15th 2007
DeepDrummer

Post by DeepDrummer »

My '70s era Fender Flat top acoustic, my BC Rich mockingbird platinum guitar, A certain trumpet I cut apart to get the seized mouthpiece out of it. In retrospect the trumpet was far better than the current 3'rd valve sticks piece of garbage I have now. My yamaha Maple custom absolute drum kit. Nice small deep 18" bass. Perfect for Blues and Jazz. Unfortunately sometimes in order to get new stuff, I have to trade or sell old stuff. (generally at a loss).
Music is in my Soul and the Blues Makes me whole.