Mr J Takes it Easy

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Mr J Takes it Easy

Post by VikingBlues »

I've been enjoying Blindboys excursions into jazzy territory and it encourages me to try some too - though I'll admit it's not being done with any knowledge of Jazz - just using the recommended scales and my old ears, and steering well clear of the complicated stuff.

So - an attempt at a smooth jazzy blues - on a backing track called "Mister Jazz" by David Wallimann on the JamPlay.com site. One day with all my visits there I'll work out how to play guitar - maybe I should look at some of the Jazz lessons too - there's not enough time for all this!

PRS SE Soapbar with the Tonerider Alnico II pups through the Vox Tonelab LE direct into the PC interface. The piece is in B Aeolian (the additional G note seemed to want played a lot).

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10702112

The chords on the BT are pretty straightforward (thankfully) - just three of them - so it's not "real" jazz : Bm7, Em7, F7, Bm7, Bm7, Em7, F7.Bm7, Em7, Bm7, Em7, Bm7, Em7, Bm7, F7. EDIT - As rightly pointed out by Bluesfreek - read F#7, not F7 - I never thought to check that the tab was right!

Hope you like it's soothing tones. :D
Last edited by VikingBlues on Tue May 31, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Mr J Takes it Easy

Post by 12bar »

Looks like a good Blues player can play anything! :dance:
Smooth is a good description - tasty, image a sunny Sunday afternoon in the garden :thumbsup:
bluesfreek

Post by bluesfreek »

That sounds really nice. You really have a nice tone and the recording is excellent. Nice swinging backing track too. I was jamming along with the track and I believe that the V chord is F#7 and not F7. If you would ike some good tips on jazz guitar playing check this site out: http://www.jazzguitarlessons.net/ There are some helpful resources on there. Having a good grounding in theory is also helpful. Another thing to do of course is to listen to jazz. Learn the standards. Get yourself a copy of "The Real Book". It has all the tunes you'll ever need and more. Jazz guitar is something I have been working on a lot recently and I am trying to learn some "standards" like I got Rhythm, Autumn Leaves or Blue Bossa. These are fun tunes to jam over and have really all the ingredients of the basic jazz chord changes.

If you want to start learning some basic jazz guitar "licks" and scales this is the man to start with. Just from listening to this recording alone has helped me.

Ce9Jtl9D6FQ

Here is Charlie Christian ripping it up on "I got Rhythm" in 1939!! This is the standard that a lot of bebop players use to solo over.

KWrhA4jpA7o
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote:Looks like a good Blues player can play anything! :dance:
Smooth is a good description - tasty, image a sunny Sunday afternoon in the garden :thumbsup:
Thanks for the comments. :D ...Oh - and I'd love a sunny afternoon in the garden - beats todays Tuesday afternoon at work!
Bluesfreek wrote:That sounds really nice. You really have a nice tone and the recording is excellent. Nice swinging backing track too. I was jamming along with the track and I believe that the V chord is F#7 and not F7. If you would ike some good tips on jazz guitar playing check this site out: http://www.jazzguitarlessons.net/ There are some helpful resources on there.
Thank you Bluesfreek. :D You're quite right about the F#7 - I didn't check that the tab with the lesson was correct. I guess that shows I don't pay attention to chords in my soloing - oops! the secrets out. :big_smile: I was quite pleased with the way the recording sounded (I'm enjoying exploring the Tonelab LE) - the PRS is not the obvious choice for jazzy sounding lead, but the guitar was the one I was noodling with when I encountered the BT. I suppose the Alnico IIs I've put on the PRS have given it a more old fashioned sound which works better in this sort of context.

:thumbsup: Thanks also for the heads up on the web-site - looks very interesting and it also looks like there's a lot on the basic elements which gets my vote - a lot of jazz lessons seem to fling you stright into the deep-end with complicated theory and wierd chords and impossible stretches for the fingers.
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

VB Again a nice one :thumbsup:

I was learing a jazz thing in my lesson book.
I now it's very different then the blues ladders not to speak for the playing techick :wink:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Sounds sweet! Nice tones you are getting out of the PRS.
I may dust off an old collab piece that never happened and shoot it to you. Might be fun.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

2WheelsOfBlues wrote:VB Again a nice one :thumbsup:

I was learing a jazz thing in my lesson book.
I now it's very different then the blues ladders not to speak for the playing techick :wink:
:D Thank you 2WOB - I think what I liked about this BT was that the chords and scale needed were very straightforward - the Jazz element comes a lot from the arrangement, chord colours and rhythm by David Wallimann. So if I play notes withinh the right rhytthm (really important) and get some half decent note choices it all sounds much more like real jazz than my knowledge would normally allow.
Blindboy wrote::thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Sounds sweet! Nice tones you are getting out of the PRS.
I may dust off an old collab piece that never happened and shoot it to you. Might be fun.
:D Thanks Blindboy - the Tonerider pups are even better than I had hoped for - lovely clear sustain / sweet sound that can also cut through the mix :clap: .
Though the Tonelab LE is assisting in the tone too I think.

If you do manage dust off that old piece I would be very happy to have a look and go at it - I'm a bit floundering about at the moment with no project on the go. I'm needing distractions from work at the moment. :wall: