epi LP goldtop

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
tradrrr

epi LP goldtop

Post by tradrrr »

After trying it out a few times and getting advice from the board, I finally picked myself up a epi LP goldtop. I got it setup with the lower action that I prefer and thanks to the board for that tip. So far I love it. I'll always consider myself a 'strat guy', but its fun to play around with the LP sound. And anything that will jump start my playing is a good thing.

A question for my fellow LP board members: What are the four knobs for? I know the closest one to the bridge is volume. How about the other three?
Let me tell you what the blues is....
ElMano

Re: epi LP goldtop

Post by ElMano »

Congratts with your Goldtop I owned one also, and i love the fat bluesy sound of the P90 pubs. The knobs at the front are the volume pots of the bridge and the neck pickup and the knobs more backwards are the tone pots. In the square The upper 2, front = volume: tail = Tone the lower front = Volume, Tail = Tone. The toggle switch make you choise the neck, ore the bridge Pick Up at the middle both PUB's. Try them 1 by 1 on all positions
Good Luck and enjoy your LP :peace: :guitarist:
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

Thanks elmano! I meant to ask about the toggle switch, too. I look forward to getting to know this thing. Any recommendations for particular sounds?
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Your Welcome, I play the chords with the bridge Pup (toggle total down) Volume on 6/7 and tone at 5. Before i select the setting on the Neck Pup Volume 6/7 and tone 2.
For the loud solo parts i select the middle position on the toggle switch and i use both Pups Only had to click the toggle 1 position up to get the loudsound) To get the sweet special P90 tone, select the upper position. You can find the sweetspot on your goldtop by turning the volume some up and down in very small parts. Use your ears not your eyes and look afterwards to remember. The sound depends a whole lot of the Amp you use and the setting of the Amp But start as neutral, and clean as you can. If you do the Volume on the amp up and at your Guitar down it became more open and clean. If you turn the guitar complete up and the the Amp more down the sound gets more raw and fuzzy.
Succes :cool:
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

Congrats on the Gold Top. :beer: Epi builds some nice guitars. :thumbsup:

I'm currently without a P-90 axe, but I truly love the sound of a good P-90 guitar. I've been looking at LP Specials, Jr.'s and the 50's Tribute Studio.

Alas, I'm way out in the boonies and don't have access to a large inventory of guitars. I have bought some very nice guitars sight unseen over the net, but I prefer to be able to play an instrument before I buy it. Especially, a Gibson.
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Congratulations on your gold top. :beer:

I play a epi myselI love the sound of it. :D

enjoy your guitar.
Do you have foto's?
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

You know, I've actually grown to like this one more than my Strat. Just something about the neck that feels so good.

I can't seem to get the image uploaded properly. I'm working on it.
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

Anyone know what strings came on my Epi LP Goldtop? Size and/or brand. I love the way they feel and don't want to screw it up when i have to buy new strings.
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

On mine was 0.09 strings but i do not now the brand of it,
They sayed in the shop; theye use standard strings, and even the shop doesn't now what brand it was/is

After a string set of 5 or 6 i use now Dean Markley LT 9-42 strings and i love it.
Sounds great and it's easy to play.
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

I think most Epiphones come with their own brand 10-gauge strings.
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

Thanks, guys.
kiwiclapton

Post by kiwiclapton »

ElMano wrote:Your Welcome, I play the chords with the bridge Pup (toggle total down) Volume on 6/7 and tone at 5. Before i select the setting on the Neck Pup Volume 6/7 and tone 2.
For the loud solo parts i select the middle position on the toggle switch and i use both Pups Only had to click the toggle 1 position up to get the loudsound) To get the sweet special P90 tone, select the upper position. You can find the sweetspot on your goldtop by turning the volume some up and down in very small parts. Use your ears not your eyes and look afterwards to remember. The sound depends a whole lot of the Amp you use and the setting of the Amp But start as neutral, and clean as you can. If you do the Volume on the amp up and at your Guitar down it became more open and clean. If you turn the guitar complete up and the the Amp more down the sound gets more raw and fuzzy.
Succes :cool:
Hey man, fantastic advice, I'll give it a go myself!
In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand, Amen.
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

You'r :welcome: :shy: Let me know how it work out Oke? :music2: