eric and joe...

Talking Blues, news, cool links
tradrrr

eric and joe...

Post by tradrrr »

MOst have probably seen this, but I felt like sharing:

VEEfDdJyxPY

I really love the contrasting sounds of the strat compared to the les paul at 4:10.
Let me tell you what the blues is....
aggiefan

Re: eric and joe...

Post by aggiefan »

Its funny, me and my grandpa were just talking about how much more louder and fuller Bonamassa's tone and how he could outplay Eric. :music2:

In this 3 part interview with Musicians Friend, he shows his gear which i think is pretty amazing :big_smile: (and really expensive). :tears:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Musiciansfr ... 0bonamassa

http://www.youtube.com/user/Musiciansfr ... Vwbx-q8l8s

http://www.youtube.com/user/Musiciansfr ... qRNoMK2kls
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

Thanks tradrrr! I really enjoyed that. JB is much more relaxed than when I saw him in Wolverhampton a couple of years ago. EC &JB make a great team. :cool:
"Big Bill Broonzy, a white boy's inspiration" (1963), and the Blues ever since.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

aggiefan wrote:Its funny, me and my grandpa were just talking about how much more louder and fuller Bonamassa's tone and how he could outplay Eric.
I don't hear any "outplay" there. A different sound (I love humbuckers, too), a little bit more volume, but I think outplaying is something different. :icon_whoknows:
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Good clip tradrr...I was at this gig ...mostly a pleasure to be there ..(.except the sound was a bit off generally that night.hard to get it spot on at the RAH with a one night gig)

But this song was the highlight of the show.........mainly as no-one knew EC was coming on ............It was massive evening for Joe ....as it was his dream to play the RAH .and he was absoluely in awe of EC.. both in the intro and after the song as EC walked off

But during the song they were as one ...they traded licks .....on the night Ec's Fender just cut right through the mix and it was amazing......JB's les Paul was loud .but much "muddier" and indistinct on the night ...sadly .........I've had to get the DVD just to be able to properly listen to the concert.
They swapped parts of the vocal duties and it was just a great number to be there and witness

I agree with 12 bar ...no-one outplayed anyone, it wasn't a competitive night at all .... more a real celebration of Joe's biggest night ever up to that point ........it was just two superb muscians putting on a Royal show .. The Old Master and a new master Blues man strutting their stuff !!...Great !

Incidentally.................
JB ... Voted "Live Act of the year" for 2010 by planet Rock.....with over 200 gigs played in the year and two albums out as well ...........Some fella...
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

It's good to see two players like this obviously enjoying playing together. :thumbsup:

Difficult one on the relative sound / volume / clarity of each player which, as posts already done here have indicated, will vary from night to night.

The players, I think it fair to say, have quite a limited control of how their playing sounds in a setting like this - they're a lot in the hands of the guys operating the mixing desk / PA system etc. And as we know from our experience of DAWs the recording engineer can play merry hell with the balance and tone of any audio recording. Evidence the difference between sound at the concert and on the DVD per Strummers post.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

Strummer, that would have been an amazing show to see. I was wondering if Clapton played more than the 1 song, but it sounds like not. I've added seeing a concert at the RAH to my list of things to do when I eventually get over there. It seems like a lot of acts like to play there (Cream, etc).

I think the clip highlights the differences between the two bluesmen. Clapton is clean and smooth and Joe is more in your face. I've grown to like Joe more recently. The fact that Clapton was willing to come out and play with him shows his admiration for him and that's good enough for me.
Let me tell you what the blues is....
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

You have made two very good points here Tradrr....
Clapton is clean and smooth and Joe is more in your face.
The fact that Clapton was willing to come out and play with him shows his admiration for him and that's good enough for me.
I know Clapton is "God" and, although I would not elevate him to quite that lofty a position, I do agree that he is one of the premier iconic blues players still alive today. However, I do agree with Aggiefan... now we were not there like Strummer was so we didn't get a first hand listen, but we have the concert recorded and have watched it several times. Joe B. has less experience so he doesn't have quite the expression of EC but he is much younger, more agile, plays many more events each year, so in my opinion (humble and very unprofessional opinion it is.. but it is MY opinion), I do believe that Joe B. did "outplay" EC in that particular set. I am not basing that on "sound", both had their own unique sound and were both expert in their own way, but on ability to play. Joe B. can belt out a flurry of great sounding blues riffs, much more so than EC. Now... before I get called "on the carpet" for this... I know just playing fast doesn't make you a better player (BB King??). But Joe B. has the ability to play fast AND make it sound good. It's more just a matter of style, not really ability.

It's probably impossible to fairly compare two expert players like this... they are both excellent.
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford