Firebird X

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
vancouverois

Firebird X

Post by vancouverois »

Gibson just unveiled their last Firebird X.

It is fully loaded with an active circuitry onboard and many other "high tech" innovative solutions...
Do you guys think this kind of instrument can really become a must have?
Not sure but may be Gibson got it wrong, although it seems to be a Limited Edition.

For me it sounds more like a collectible art work item or "avant garde" concept, a bit like the dream cars
we can see in automotive exbihitions.

The specs:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri ... Specs.aspx

A video of the presentation:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... ork-288708
Jan 15th 2007
deejaid

Re: Firebird X

Post by deejaid »

It definitely won't become a "must have". I agree with you vancouverois, a concept guitar to show all of the newest technology available. Unfortunately for sales, I think most guitarists would not be interested. Too much going on.

Personally, I think it just looks tacky. Mismatched knobs and different colored toggle switches? What were they thinking? Abalone inlays? Just ugly all around.
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

OUCH!!! Maybe it's just my age (again), but when I think Firebird I can't get beyond Johnny Winters Playing Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited". Even if I had the money to buy this "Firebird", it just doesn't fly.
kiwiclapton

Post by kiwiclapton »

Yep, its a joke, Gibson have hit rock bottom. That's my two cents worth.
In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand, Amen.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I reckon Gibson hit rock bottom with their Gibson Hendrix-inspired Stratocaster that got quickly taken off the launch pad and buried before its release date. :thumbsdown:

The marketing department have had their usual outing I see - "takes the guitar instrument to new heights", "enhance an already outstanding instrument to unbelievable performance and creative heights", "like the world’s best street legal sports car in looks, feel and performance". Comes over all a bit arrogant maybe?

Robot tuning - already done. So the on-board effects must be the revolution? Anyone want to give up their boutique pedals collection for this? Are on-board effects something no other guitar company have done? :icon_whoknows:

And it seems to be yet another "collectors" item - limited edition and up the price. Aaaaaaarrggh. :motz:

But no - it really doesn't look as if it's going to change music as we know it! And what was that about where Juszkiewicz smashes a guitar to pieces at the beginning of the presentation. Well that's a new idea! I take it that was the money men's idea of ushering in a new era of guitar technology. :wall:
Last edited by VikingBlues on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

YUK!

In other words.... no, no must have, something to avoid....
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

The Firebird (reversed model) is by far my favorite and most wanted guitar. But looking at this I pass :tease: Yakie
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Not for me...
Robot tuning? :roll: Onboard effects? :roll: (I don't really use effects) I like the abalone, but not with that color body. I didn't even look at the price tag. :roll:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
microtech

Post by microtech »

It amazes me how out of touch Gibson seems to be with their customers. Look at the comments people have posted for the guitar and you can see that it has clearly not received the kind of reception Gibson was hoping for. Hell, a lot of people were more interested in the fact that a good guitar was ruined as they were with the Firebird X. In fact, most of the time if you look at Gibson's web site for new "artist" guitar releases, everyone complains about more of the same old and how the guitars are way to overpriced and are not for actual musicians.

As a marketing person, I can't believe that Gibson is so oblivious to all the negative feedback and current perceptions that their potential customers have regarding all of the "new" guitars they keep pumping out. Unless their strategy is to target rich players and collectors, it seems they are losing a lot of their appeal for actual musicians.
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

That is the same way Harley Davidson survived a couple of years ago :mercy:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

In view of Microtechs recent post I feel a bit embarassed about my marketing men reference in my earlier post. :shy:

No offence intended to any in that line of work - if you fancy a tilt at accountants to return the compliment in my direction feel free Microtech!

Balloonist gets totally lost - can't find out where he is. Lands balloon in field. Sees man walking by - asks him "where am I"? The man replies "You're standing in a field next to a balloon". Balloonist says "Oh - you're an Accountant". "How did you know that"? comes the reply. "Obvious" says the balloonist - "your information is accurate but useless"!! :rofl:

FWIW I've seen businesses go rapidly downhill when the accountants get in charge of the business strategy. Bad decisions by whatever breed of executives often seem baffling.

So much of the output of the bigger guitar makers seem to be aiming at the collectors and the rich guys - pretty well every other guitar reviewed in the guitar magazines now seem to be limited editions.

Maybe fewer units sold but at much bigger margins makes sense in the current economic climate. :icon_whoknows:
microtech

Post by microtech »

Viking, I didn't even think twice about your post.

We are in agreement that Gibson's marketing team sucks :thumbsdown:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

microtech wrote:Viking, I didn't even think twice about your post.

We are in agreement that Gibson's marketing team sucks :thumbsdown:
:D ..... :handshake: .... :thumbsup:
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

Harley Davidson did survive by targeting a different market... I still prefer the "real" traditional Firebird. And I'd ride my old kick-start Panhead before a new Harley any day.
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

I Agree with that about the panhead and the firebird :beer: A lot of companies use what i called the Seagull management. The boss come in the place, screaming and hopping around, and when he's gone all there is left is a huge pile of shit :alright: BTW i ride a MG B 1963 and a Triumph Bonneville 1959 And when u ride English machinery you have to notice two things If it don't leak it is empty and if it did not make noise anymore you probably lost it. :dance: So fore hollydays and real use i take the goldwing Japcrap but reliable just as the matsumoko axes i use on stage.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

ElMano wrote:Seagull management
THAT should be in common usage. Nice one ElMano.
:rofl: ... :clap:
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

Yeah! I suppose it doesn't matter where or when it's made as long as it's a practical product from a good idea and you can keep the seagulls away from it.
I can't talk. I have two Squiers and an Epiphone and drive Honda cars.
BadBluesPlayer

Post by BadBluesPlayer »

I look at the new Firebird as a concept guitar. I don't think they expect to sell many. Like new concept cars.

I think they have to spend some effort exploring these new technologies, even if they aren't really commercially viable.

By the way, this is a cool new smiley. :tease:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Better?

Gibson to reproduce Eric Clapton's legendary 'Beano' Les Paul
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... aul-293481

:banana:
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

Now that's a "concept guitar" I like. So much for exploring new technologies. I guess I haven't learned enough about the old technologies. The new ones seem like distractions sometimes. Is this an attention deficit issue I have?