Need some input...

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
Blindboy

Need some input...

Post by Blindboy »

Well, my open mic band has kind of turned into an actual band (we don't get many jammers, so our gigs kind of turn into practice sessions). We have a new lineup, guitar, bass, drums, keyboards. The keyboard player and I are sharing vocal chores. He does mostly old country and Ray Charles type stuff, and any blues, I have to sing :yikes: . I am wanting to do a tune that many of you are probably familiar with (at least the Bluesbreakers version) and I know two versions of it. I would like some input as to which version I should do. I will post up the intro verse to each version, no vocals (maybe that will avoid copyright issues), and hopefully y'all will chime in with which one you like better. These are just whipped out to act as examples, so don't expect greatness. They both sound much better with a band. :big_smile:
download/file.php?id=321
download/file.php?id=322
Attachments

' 2.mp3 - (427.8 KiB)

' 1.mp3 - (459.64 KiB)

"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Re: Need some input...

Post by VikingBlues »

Sounds like exciting developments going on there with the band Bb. :thumbsup:

To me - and I have to admit to ignorance of the original here (my familiarity being one with "Hard Road") - I would prefer 1.mp3. This probably won't surprise you as it is the less busy of the two. I just feel it's got a more ear grabbing & pleasing riff / melody. :icon_whoknows:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

No. 1 +1 - more the original AYL
Nice tone!
spoonful

Post by spoonful »

It's difficult, the "2mp3" is more of "Hendrix cowboy funk", I like that, but is the intro tempo more upbeat than what follows?
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

Number One again. Number 2 is too fussy ( or busy as VB said). The solo gives you a good chance to show your guitar skills. I love the original's 'hard' sound .
I hope you are having a great summer up in 'them thar' mountains Blindboy!
"Big Bill Broonzy, a white boy's inspiration" (1963), and the Blues ever since.
bluesinbflat

Post by bluesinbflat »

I'd go with the Otis Rush version, I think most are familiar with the Bluesbreaker one. Btw, Digging that playing and tone Blindboy.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Thanks for the input, guys. Still haven't made a choice, gotta run it by the band... see what they think. For the record, the second version ('2mp3) is a bit closer to the original Otis Rush version. It will probably tone down a tad with the full band.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"