Howdy!

Guest book, site news and suggestions, introductions
AngeloNapoli

Howdy!

Post by AngeloNapoli »

Howdy!
My name is Angelo and I am very pleased to join a community geared towards this great music which is blues!
I'm coming more from a fusion style but recently felt the need to work on th blues. I have to say that I never thought blues could be so hard! Respect to all blues players!
I love all kinds of blues : the classic 12 bar blues but also jazz blues because of the additional colors it brings.
Anyway, I'm very happy to be here and share with others!
Cheers!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Howdy!

Post by 12bar »

:welcome: to the board!
Feel free to jam with us! :chicken:
AngeloNapoli

Post by AngeloNapoli »

Thanks mate! :banana:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:welcome: to the forum Angelo. :D

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a lapsed blues player - age and arthritic fingers don;t make for comfort playing a genre that needs a lot of bends to the notes!!

Blues is trickier than it would appear I agree.
Easy to understand the basics and the basis of it and the blues scale is an easy one to learn.
But difficulties in getting the right notes at the right time, getting the flow and timing right, hitting key target notes at the right time, incorporating notes outwith the scale at the right times for effect, and playing notes off the beat in the right places.

But if you can get to grips with fusion OK I'm sure you'll do well.

Cheers! :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
AngeloNapoli

Post by AngeloNapoli »

Thanks a lot Viking! Yeah that's a lot to digest and learning how to play blues is a journey indeed! Happy hollidays! :chicken:
fenson

Post by fenson »

Hi Angelo!
Welcome onboard!
I used to play the Blues for years and still feeling like discovering how much music one can play simply using a I-IV-V progression witn the only five notes of the pentatonic... Even more for about the last couple years... Since I did start learning tho play Shakuhachi (japanese flute which has these famaou five notes!). Just to figure out what I'm talking about, give an ear to Cornelius Boots and how he play the Blues on this flute... <https://corneliusboots.bandcamp.com/music>

Enjoy your Blues journey

Later,
Fenson
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
AngeloNapoli

Post by AngeloNapoli »

fenson wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:50 am Hi Angelo!
Welcome onboard!
I used to play the Blues for years and still feeling like discovering how much music one can play simply using a I-IV-V progression witn the only five notes of the pentatonic... Even more for about the last couple years... Since I did start learning tho play Shakuhachi (japanese flute which has these famaou five notes!). Just to figure out what I'm talking about, give an ear to Cornelius Boots and how he play the Blues on this flute... <https://corneliusboots.bandcamp.com/music>

Enjoy your Blues journey

Later,
Fenson
Thank you for your message. Wow this flute sounds super cool! Thanks for sharing and all the best for this journey of yours!
Totally agree that blues is hard. Something I would have never guessed. A very humbling journey which "forces" you to work on phrasing and melody.
Merry Chritmas!!