My 1st 12 bar blues!

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
AngeloNapoli

My 1st 12 bar blues!

Post by AngeloNapoli »

Hi all,

As I said in my introduction post I'm more of a fusion player. I grew up listening to rock then quickly switched to fusion player (Holdsworth, Scott Henderson mainly but also others). So I didn't really focus on blues. Eventually I decided to try to play over a 12 bar blues progression and used this funk blues groove.
I couldn't really decide between those 2 tones so I played over the same solo using them both. Up to this day I still don't know which tone I prefer. So anyway, I share the solo here.
I'm not as experienced as you are since I'm not a blues player, so don't be too harsh on me :D
I realized how HARD blues truly is and I have even more respect now for blues and blues players!
Cheers everybody!
Here is the blues : https://youtu.be/j9PUYnIbfYg
12bar
Site Admin

Re: My 1st 12 bar blues!

Post by 12bar »

Funky! :banana:
I prefer the second tone, sounds more bluesy to me. :music1:
AngeloNapoli

Post by AngeloNapoli »

Thank you dear admin for your message !
Interesting because I thought that the 1st one was more raw and therefore more "blues" than the 2nd one.
See how good of a blues player I am ? lol :think: :easter2:
Thanks again and happy hollidays! :D
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

You're a good player, much better than I am. :music2:
To sound "bluesier", simplify your playing a bit and pay more attention to the notes (bends, vibrato,...), that's all I can say.

Happy holidays / buon natale! :xmas_1:
AngeloNapoli

Post by AngeloNapoli »

Will take your advice in consideration! Thanks for helping!
Buon natale! :beer:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Very good playing Angelo!! :thumbsup:

I found myself undecided on which version I preferred. But when I started playing short clips of each version at at the same parts of the music I felt I was more often included to go for the first version, particularly when chords were being played.
BUT, it's not a preference that indicates any unease about the second version. It took some time to decide because they were so close.

It may be something in the tonal quality, or in the EQ overall, or in the overdrive sound. really don't know.

It may help if you're wanting more of a bluesier feel to make some of the notes work for longer before moving onto the next. However that's very much a personal preference as most of my favourite blues players tended to have a quite lot of slower playing within their songs.

Happy Holidays! :xmas_1:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
AngeloNapoli

Post by AngeloNapoli »

Hello mate!
Thank you so much for taking time to listen and give your feddback! Very much appreciated!
I will definitely take your suggestions (along with 12bar's) into consideration.
I think I should start to transcribe blues solos as well. It will help to build the vocabulary.
Happy holidays!
fenson

Post by fenson »

Hi Angelo,
Did listen to you post :think:
If I could say simple things...
one would be: forget about velocity even when playing over a fast groove...
two would be: do not play that much "outside", take care of the pitch as you're bending note and focus on the "main 3 types" of vibrato!

You're of obviously a pretty good player that why I allow me to be that "rude"! Apologies fot that indeed :shy:
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
AngeloNapoli

Post by AngeloNapoli »

fenson wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:35 pm Hi Angelo,
Did listen to you post :think:
If I could say simple things...
one would be: forget about velocity even when playing over a fast groove...
two would be: do not play that much "outside", take care of the pitch as you're bending note and focus on the "main 3 types" of vibrato!

You're of obviously a pretty good player that why I allow me to be that "rude"! Apologies fot that indeed :shy:
Hello mate!
No worries, I am not made of glass so I can take the heat! Thank you for your feedback, I take all opinions into considerations, even more when I am aware that I don't have the blues experience of blues players here. So thank you!
Happy holidays! :xmas_1: