Dispensing Pensive

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Dispensing Pensive

Post by VikingBlues »

There's some blues notes appear in this pensive wandering ... so it maybe just about qualifies as bluesy, if not as blues. :think:
A distinct lack of proper form or structure to this playing. The idea was to pensively meander as the mood took me.

The recently acquired used Tanglewood TW45 DLX, built back when TW guitars were very solid. Cedar / mahogany woods.
Just recorded on the portable Zoom H4n recorder and using it's internal microphones. No changes to EQ and no added reverb.
Sensitive mics on the Zoom - it picked up people walking by and talking outside at around 1:45 - i don;t recall hearing them as I was playing!

:music1:

Dispensing Pensive.mp3 - (7.58 MiB)

Hope you are all safe and well.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Dispensing Pensive

Post by 12bar »

This gave me five and a half pensive minutes. :pray:
Fits well into what's happening in the world currently, but also gives some hope for better times.

The Zoom is excellent, my son uses it for recording his organ work. :thumbsup:
The TW has a very warm sound, good deal!

Keep on playing and stay healthy.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks! :D

I'm loving the warm and rich sounds from the TW45.
The guitar took a few days to get used to DADGAD tuning and reverberations when I first got it. I suspect it had only ever been in standard tuning.
Add a new saddle, proper set up and fret redress from a local guitar builder and it's become the go-to in the collection.

I double checked what i said in my first post above about the solid build and i find it's my heaviest acoustic right enough. 5.1 lbs / 2.3 kg.
Solid in a good way - just feels well built.

I'll try and do as you say and keep playing! :big_smile:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

My sister is looking for a new acoustic, she's a beginner and has a cheap one which is hard to play. So Tanglewood may be an option...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I do have 3 Tanglewood guitars in my collection now (2 x 12 fret parlours with different woods and a 14 fret cutaway super-folk), so I suppose I may just be biased! But here's a few thoughts below.

I've never had issues with any Tanglewood I've tried in a shop being difficult to play and the factory set up tends to be generally decent.
But like all factory made acoustics there is a variable quality in any particular model, from great through OK and to a few rather bad ones. I've tried a TW73 parlour in a shop that was the same as one of the ones I have and it sounded nothing like the same, lacking in resonance and tone.
My all Mahogany Tanglewood parlour outperformed a Martin - an 0015ME that was 5 times the price - in a test going back and forth between the two for quite some time. I had enough money for the Martin and I would have liked that it was better however ....

The older second hand Tanglewood acoustics seem to feel a bit more solid than current builds and I have a feeling the quality of woods used isn't quite as good as it once was. But the price reflects this.

It's a shame that Tanglewood have replaced Cedar tops with Sitka Spruce in quite a few of their acoustics the last couple of years - it does make the selection available less varied, but I know a lot of people like the spruce sound a lot.

I'd certainly recommend she tries a Tanglewood or two if the opportunity is there. Any info you need let me know and I'll see if I can help.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks! :thumbsup:

The main problem is that there's no guitar shop nearby having Tanglewood guitars. There's one on Ebay for 150,- in her town, but it's a Tanglewood Evolution TW28 SLBK CE and I'm afraid that is not much an improvement over her current axe, a cheap Johnson.

Now she's played a Takamine from a friend and likes it a lot. EF341SC, has a pickup and is still available. But currently corona strikes back in her family, so we have to wait. So - later. :icon_whoknows: