Help me decide between two Epiphones

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
Ulysses

Help me decide between two Epiphones

Post by Ulysses »

After years of owning a strat, I've finally decided to sell it and start having fun in life. I'm trying to decide between these two LPs:

https://www.thomann.de/intl/epiphone_le ... 0s_hcs.htm

https://www.thomann.de/intl/epiphone_le ... 60s_it.htm

I know the Beano was a 50s LP, does this have any relevance to the Epiphones though? I want the guitar closer to that sound and look and these two seem to be the two most reasonable options within my budget.
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Help me decide between two Epiphones

Post by 12bar »

I don't have a Les Paul, but from what I found the 50s are great guitars for the Beano sound. They are no Gibsons, but the quality is very good.
The Probuckers are Gibsons Burstbuckers equivalent, 2+3 are a bit "hotter" than 1+2, but the 1+2 is a great combi.

As you know I have a Sheraton (from the early 90's) and Eric played a 335 during that era, too...

Anyway, I would not sell the strat, if you can manage to keep them both.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

12bar wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:08 am I don't have a Les Paul, but from what I found the 50s are great guitars for the Beano sound. They are no Gibsons, but the quality is very good.
The Probuckers are Gibsons Burstbuckers equivalent, 2+3 are a bit "hotter" than 1+2, but the 1+2 is a great combi.
Yeah, that's what I keep hearing.

I sold the Strat already for a good price, but I left myself a spare, which I've owned for many years and recently decided to install some vintage hot alnicos and it sounds even better than my v6, were it not for the intonation problems and overall bad playability. Somewhere down the line I'm thinking of swapping out the neck and it's gonna be a real powerhouse of a guitar.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

OK, if it's sold already you can't anything wrong with this one. Good luck! :banana: