Two Chord Challenge

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Two Chord Challenge

Post by VikingBlues »

Anyone fancy a challenge....

Like making an interesting musical piece out of a G minor pentatonic teaching BT that just consists of two alternating chords. :yikes:
There's some nice playing on the BT and some good resonances - I'm getting itchy fingers, and notes singing in my head as I listen to it, so i think there could be some good stuff to get from it. [EDIT - Sorry it's MAJOR not minor]

I mean see the difference in HBLs and Vikings takes on the althrax BT!!

I'll post the BT up in the BT section and any pieces could be posted on this thread. Anyone fancy it? :icon_whoknows: :big_smile:
Last edited by VikingBlues on Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Re: Two Chord Challenge

Post by Blindboy »

I'm in. Might take a while, we are having internet connection woes right now. :wall: Comes from living in the howling wilderness. :lol:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
Blindboy

First listen... first take

Post by Blindboy »

Ok, This is is in a major keyl, which is totally my nemisis. :whistle:
Anyway... this is a first listen, first take totally cold attempt. I downloaded it, plugged in my line6. and this is the result. I could have shined it up for ya'll, but I thought some insight into how blindboy approaches something new might be appreciated. :icon_whoknows: Any way, this is it... warts and all. I was trying to see what might fit, ya know. That is why it sounds so loose. Also, I was totally taken by surprise by the end. Sorry about that. :yikes:

'.mp3 - (5.21 MiB)

tombstone

Post by tombstone »

I think I'll do something with a G harp on this. Harp and acoustic for sure, maybe with some licks from the gibson... sounds like a plan
I used to be tombstoneblues.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

tombstone wrote:I think I'll do something with a G harp on this. Harp and acoustic for sure, maybe with some licks from the gibson... sounds like a plan
Cool! Looking forward to hearing it. Maybe if there is room I might put in some guitar...
VikingBlues

Re: First listen... first take

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:Ok, This is is in a major keyl, which is totally my nemisis. :whistle:
Anyway... this is a first listen, first take totally cold attempt. I downloaded it, plugged in my line6. and this is the result. I could have shined it up for ya'll, but I thought some insight into how blindboy approaches something new might be appreciated. :icon_whoknows: Any way, this is it... warts and all. I was trying to see what might fit, ya know. That is why it sounds so loose. Also, I was totally taken by surprise by the end. Sorry about that. :yikes:
Typo error in my intodustion to the thread when I said minor - sorry Blindboy. The major key makes it interesting for me, as it gets me away from my minor key comfort zone. Eeeek. :sad:

Hopefully this weekend will give time to have a go at it. Sorry about the ending - I hadn't spotted that, I was too busy posting it up and setting up the threads when it was playing to notice - maybe I'll cheat with a fade out or have to add in some chordal ending myself? :icon_whoknows: Not to mention that it just kicks straight in with no count in.

It's interesting to hear such an early take and loose is no bad thing necessarily. Also interesting how different it sounds to what has been popping into my head, so I'll not listen too much, or it'll confuse my head. The spirit of the blues is pouring through your playing as usual and I like the variety of intense and laid back passages you've done, an dthe variety of tones with the way you've hit the notes too. :clap: That's a big challenge with this one I think - getting the variety to hide the intensly repetitive nature of the accompaniement. Can be done of course - John Lee Hooker managed it on one chord, so we've got luxury with two! :big_smile:
tombstone wrote:I think I'll do something with a G harp on this. Harp and acoustic for sure, maybe with some licks from the gibson... sounds like a plan
That sounds tasty - look forward to hearing it. :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Re: Two Chord Challenge - Take 1 Viking

Post by VikingBlues »

Hi guys. :wave:

I've not got much time this weekend with Strat building needed, so this is essentially first take Hagstrom guitar (with a few duff notes) and first take vocal. Run for the hills - yes, a vocal. :yikes: :banana:

I wondered when I got the itch in my brain listening to the BT if it would turn into a song type format - it often happens when I get that feeling.

:think: I think there's scope for more being added on, particularly an extra guitar part. I'll give that a go over the next few days, but I don't want to lose the minimalist approach if possible, so it maybe won't work.

But I'm surprised how easily a 2 chord backing can turn into something. Mind, I think I could probably find a better vehicle for the lyrics than a 2 chord teaching BT. Not my own lyrics, you won't be surprised to hear - a big thank you from Viking to his muse there. :high5:

Caged Bird - Take1 - Viking on the 2 chord challenge.
Caged Bird.mp3 - (4.81 MiB)

PS the guitar isn't going out of tune at the end - I was putting pressure on the strings between the bridge and tailpiece deliberately. :roll:
bluesinbflat

Post by bluesinbflat »

I'm just going to do a very very short take.
VikingBlues

Re: Two Chord Challenge : Caged Bird : Vikings Completed att

Post by VikingBlues »

Here's my finished go at the two chord piece. :D

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9557092

Now maybe I can stop it rattling round my head all day!! :wall:
Last edited by VikingBlues on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
weelie

Post by weelie »

I like the Bird cage tune. I even tried it at 150% speed on Windows media player (no, it won't make it into bird noises, as it stays is the same pitch, just speeds up), to make it more poppy.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

weelie wrote:I like the Bird cage tune. I even tried it at 150% speed on Windows media player (no, it won't make it into bird noises, as it stays is the same pitch, just speeds up), to make it more poppy.
Weelie - that's a great idea. :clap:

The Robert Johnson treatment!!

I don't know whether it is just my recording software but I do hit a limit where the vocals start to sound weird, :yikes: but here's the track at around + 20%.

http://www.box.net/shared/jrnp1bm3je

I can't listen to the original now - it sounds leaden!!! :wall: [EDIT - It's OK now - if I latch onto the note decay it sounds OK again]

I suppose the original is a teaching track so it's fair it would be slow. I'm wondering about speeding up the backing track and having another go at recording the full thing. Or maybe I should get a life. :big_smile:
Bluez2move

Post by Bluez2move »

Ok here's my shot at it :D

I have 2 admit that I didn't
follow the rules totally :wink:
and started throwing in the
minor about halfway thru :shy: :icon_whoknows:

It's a long BT 2 keep up
a sustained solo :roll:

A few flubs :wink: ... 'cause, like the
rest of you, my Major Pentatonic
playing is something that's in development
and this was a good BT 2 work on it :cool: :thumbsup:

download/file.php?id=260
Attachments

My 2 chord challenge offering :-)
G Maj Blues+B2M.mp3 - (4.91 MiB)

VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I like it a lot B2M. :thumbsup: If anyone "cheated" it was me bunging in vocals - there's no way I could have just done guitar (and just one guitar at that) for 5 minutes. There's very fluent and fluid playing in your version, great imaginative playing, and it's very bluesy too which I found difficult to get on this BT. :alright:

I've heard a few improvs on this BT here and there now and every one is different. Yours is most definitely at the classy end of the versions though. You've risen to the challenge big style. :clap: :clap:
Bluez2move

Post by Bluez2move »

VikingBlues wrote:I like it a lot B2M. :thumbsup: If anyone "cheated" it was me bunging in vocals - there's no way I could have just done guitar (and just one guitar at that) for 5 minutes. There's very fluent and fluid playing in your version, great imaginative playing, and it's very bluesy too which I found difficult to get on this BT. :alright:

I've heard a few improvs on this BT here and there now and every one is different. Yours is most definitely at the classy end of the versions though. You've risen to the challenge big style. :clap: :clap:

Thank You very much :big_smile:

Glad U dug it, as it's one
of my 1st serious attempts to
delve in2 strictly Major key blues :cool:

I like 2 flirt w/the Major but
the Minor just sounds better 2 my ear :D

The best players use both 2 create
tension and change the feel
of what they are playing, that is
the ultimate goal :thumbsup:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

You're definitely near the ultimate goal - sounds much like Cream! :clap:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Wow that sound.... :drool:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Bluez2move

Post by Bluez2move »

12bar wrote:You're definitely near the ultimate goal - sounds much like Cream! :clap:
Thanx a lot 12bar :big_smile: I appreciate it :cool:

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Wow that sound.... :drool:
It's that OCD pedal again :wink: Thanks Hans :D
BluesLicksMaster

Post by BluesLicksMaster »

Here's my entry. It's a pretty long track so I cut it down to about 2 minutes.

download/file.php?id=324

:music2:
Attachments

gmaj.mp3 - (2.99 MiB)

"Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jivin' too..."
Bluez2move

Post by Bluez2move »

Sweet riffage M'Man :cool:

It had a kind of chicken
picken country feel 2 it :D
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

BluesLicksMaster wrote:Here's my entry. It's a pretty long track so I cut it down to about 2 minutes.
Yeah - over 4 minutes, which with such a basic structure is why I had to fall back on vocals on my shot at it in the backing track thread.

I like the way you've linked in with the BT and how a lot of your playing is referring to chordal structure. A sign of someone that really knows what they're doing. "Sweet riffage" as B2M so rightly says. :clap: