Fathers Day

Everything that doesn't fit elsewhere
Blindboy

Fathers Day

Post by Blindboy »

Most kids think that their Dad is the coolest. We were lucky that it was the truth. Dad taught me to shoot, ride horses and motorcycles, drive, back a trailer, clean fish and small game, wrench on cars and bikes, repair guitars (brother Jesse took that one a lot farther than I did), and many other things. One of the most wonderful things he gave my brothers and me was a lifelong love of music. By his example he also taught us kindness and integrity.
guitar lesson.jpg
guitar lesson.jpg (32.72 KiB) Viewed 18755 times
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Fathers Day

Post by 12bar »

Beautiful words, couldn't say it better. My dad didn't play guitar, but allowed me to have keyboard lessons when I was young.
Father's day here in Germany is a bit earlier in May, but tomorrow my dad has his 85th birthday :beer:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Wow! You're lucky you get to have him in your life for so long. I hope you can celebrate with him.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:33 pm Most kids think that their Dad is the coolest. We were lucky that it was the truth. Dad taught me to shoot, ride horses and motorcycles, drive, back a trailer, clean fish and small game, wrench on cars and bikes, repair guitars (brother Jesse took that one a lot farther than I did), and many other things. One of the most wonderful things he gave my brothers and me was a lifelong love of music. By his example he also taught us kindness and integrity.
Something to cherish - very much what Dad should be, and I'm sure he would be so happy that you appreciate his guidance. :D
12bar wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:34 pm Beautiful words, couldn't say it better. My dad didn't play guitar, but allowed me to have keyboard lessons when I was young.
Father's day here in Germany is a bit earlier in May, but tomorrow my dad has his 85th birthday :beer:
I hope he had a wonderful 85th! :D

My Dad had a love for music but it was a very specific type of music - classical. I recall the reaction to my getting my first electric guitar was like someone finding a slug in their lettuce. He did say in hid mid 80s that he now understood what I was trying to do with my music, but a shame it took 40 years or so to get to that stage!
I tried to encourage my sons interest in music and resisted dissing any of their choices of listening - sadly despite eldest son trying guitar neither have taken up playing an instrument, though both do listen to music at least. Maybe they reckoned I'd inflicted enough pain on listeners without their contributing further agony. :roll:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!