See You In New Orleans Song and possible Collab

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: See You In New Orleans Song and possible Collab

Post by 12bar »

Thanks VB, I think I tried that VST amp one a while ago.

Good luck for your PC - nearly all Win7 programs will run with Win 10, too. :fingerscrossed:
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

:music2: :music2:

Cool take VB.....gritty sound!!!!
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks Tytl!
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:27 pm Good luck for your PC - nearly all Win7 programs will run with Win 10, too. :fingerscrossed:
Off to a mixed start PC wise.

I'd forgotten how much time it takes to get a new PC set up and have old programs and data moved onto it, let alone all the user names and passwords to remember and get set up.

BUT ... my Samplitude Music Studio DAW is going to be no good. The Win10 system won't even try to start up the installation DVD - it either chucks the DVD back out, or after a lot of whirring goes into a sulk and does nothing. :sad:
I'll maybe need to purchase an upgrade of Music Studio, but first i might just install a free DAW liek Cakewalk to see if I can get my audio interface and MIDI controller keyboard to work.

There also seems to be an issue with the spell checker not working when I'm using the Firefox browser.
Odd, as Firefox has exactly the same settings as on my old Win7 machine.

Not that I've had much time to try and play / record guitar stuff, but it'd be nice if i knew I was able to if time allowed!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Samplitude is definitely running with Win10, my son is using it. Sounds like a DVD error. You may try to download and install it. The versions are
online, too.

I can recommend Reaper, as it's available in a portable version, which makes backups much easier. I use portable apps since a long time for browser, Email client, image manipulation etc. You can put it on USB and use it everywhere, for backup you simply copy the whole directory.

Good luck! :fingerscrossed:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks for the suggestions Gerd. :D

I wondered about that being a DVD error too. But I tried it on another non Windows PC (my son still has Win7) and it worked fine.
I also tried going onto the Magix Site to do a download - it recognised my licence number, but told me no download was available for that particular product. Annoying as I saw from their website that it was meant to be compatible with Win10.

I was wondering Reaper and had a look, but I see these days that it's just a two month period before you have to buy. I also recall trying Reaper a few years back and I didn't find it very intuitive - even struggled to work out how to start recording on it! Probably says more about me than it does about Reaper! :roll:

I suspect it's most likely that in a while that I'll upgrade to the most recent Samplitude as I can get it for a very decent price, and it should be similar enough in operation to the old one to reduce the learning curve.The older I get the more daunting learning curves become!!!
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Spell Checker working now - I had to add on a British English Dictionary. The Firefox Options had the language set right and had the Spell Checker turned on. But maybe it just didn't have a Dictionary installed when i downloaded it. BIZARRE!

I've downloaded the Cakewalk DAW, and after some struggles got it to recognise my Alesis io2 Audio / MIDI Interface, and also recognise my MIDI controller keyboard. Also managed to use the keyboard with a couple of the rather limited VST sounds included with Cakewalk. Trying to set the MIDI tracks to do the right thing was rather hit and miss and it remains to be seen if I can repeat that success next time I try.
It doesn't seem to recognise and change to devices being plugged in the way Samplitude does - much more left to the user in terms of setting everything up. Fine if you know what you're doing. I DON'T! :nuts:

I've still to try doing audio recording on it, and also still to try importing an existing mp3 or wav file. It'll be interesting* to see if the settings for ASIO need a lot of tweaking to avoid latency on multitrack audio recording. (* - for "interesting" read "a big pain").

A move forward though. :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Sort of got the Audio Working on Cakewalk, and took the opportunity to jam a bit on the "New Orleans" BT while doing so.

NOTE - didn't realise my guitar track was set to stereo till playback time - so it's panned hard left as a result! :icon_whoknows:

Also quite possibly not quite what I might do if i get around to working at this track a bit - but here it is to be going on with.
Out of practice playing with a pick - but a broken middle finger nail demanded the use of one.

:music2:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

From 400 to zero Euro - Cakewalk by Bandlab sure is now a good alternative!
Interesting how you manage pick playing, I never got used to it, always feels strange to my fingers...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

With using a pick for mandolin I guess I've got more used to a pick since I started playing acoustic instruments.

I opened up Cakewalk again today and I now can't get it to respond to my midi controller keyboard, or to issue sound. Messages about no audio devices for the current driver model! Means square root of zero to me. I've tried going through the various settings and amending them, but to no avail.
Because it's quite a high powered system I'm finding that it's rather complicated, even to do simple things. I've tried looking at some YouTube tutorials and they make my head hurt!!! Some of the links in the program built in for help lead to a can't find the page error - not very good.

Downloaded the free trial version of the latest Samplitude. Up and running with both keyboard and sound after 5 minutes.
The new version does have some differences in appearance and layout and what windows are shown as standard but it is familiar enough to make me feel less out of my depth.

I will return to wrestle with Cakewalk again but it looks like I might well go the upgrade route and pay for the full version of Samplitude.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I also tried Cakewalk and got the same error - no audio device. Re-installed, suddenly it was there. But I'm so used to Reaper now that I copied some of the good vst's that were included and deleted the rest.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I know what you mean! :thumbsup:
The combination of an unfamiliar Windows O/S and an unfamiliar DAW package is intensely baffling and irritating! :angry:

In the end it turned out I couldn't get the demo Samplitude to work properly - I was too quick to think I'd cracked it.
Even Audacity was a no go on audio. I could import an audio track on track 1. I could hear it being played back. I could record a track 2 and hear both tracks and they were fine. Then on playback found the second recorded track was hugely out of tune. Wasted some time trying to find on line solutions, and none of those I tried worked.

As Reaper has a good instruction manual, has a free trial period, and a big user base plus a fair amount of on-line posts about problem solving I've been giving it a go. But I have hit a situation where Windows setting tells me the Output and Input devices are set to the Alesis io2 Interface and the Reaper Preferences ASIO configuration shows io2 on the WDM Device list for Input and Output. But I have the dreaded "X" against the io2 references in the Reaper ASIO Device List and "Status Unavailable" and a query about MS GS Wavetable Synth being enabled. Any attempts at MIDI have also been a failure. Best I can manage is to see Reaper getting an input from the Q25 keyboard, but no matter what I do I can't hear it! :wall: :wall: :wall:

So ... that's it! Too much time wasted. Bad enough not enjoying the working day but to then get no pleasure and a load of stress in my spare time is too much. I'll just use the old PC for recordings and if the PC breaks I'll try and find a PC guy locally that can set up the sound for a fee.

I must have another go on the system I know with this backing track. Soon if I can.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

OK - I've carried out my attempt on the full BT just to see if I can still manage more than a creaky 40 seconds.

So here's a very creaky 4 minutes+! :wink:

:music2: It's ridiculous - I'd almost forgotten how to connect the Weber Micro Mass attenuator to the SCXD amp. PRS SE guitar completes the gear used.

Here's to Windows 7. :beer:

If anyone fancies sharing out this BT into a collab, as Tytl suggested I'll give it a go.
Hussar303

Post by Hussar303 »

Hey, it isn't that creaky, it's actually quite pleasant! Thank you for sharing these, it's some well-needed moral support when you've spent the last couple hours browsing some property in Cyprus at the random for your boss instead of going back home as you wanted to after the end of the work day...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks for the positive comment! :D

It's a sod the way work gets in the way of our personal life and things we do want to do.
Bad enough getting home at a normal time with the brain battered to a pulp and no energy reserves left for guitar. :sad:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

VikingBlues wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:41 am Bad enough getting home at a normal time with the brain battered to a pulp and no energy reserves left for guitar. :sad:
Ooooh, yes. YES!