General Data Protection Regulation - GDPR

Guest book, site news and suggestions, introductions
12bar
Site Admin

General Data Protection Regulation - GDPR

Post by 12bar »

Yes, I have to change a lot due to the new General Data Protection Regulation starting in May, 25th. Or even close it.

The new EU law will affect not only websites like this but also our daily life. The good thing is our data will be better protected. The bad thing is it will be nearly impossible to run a website as a private person without being vulnerable to all kinds of lawyer attacks.

Youtube, Facebook, Google will still be collecting all your data and you won't even notice it. They have their ow legal departments to be save.

It's also the death of most photography blogs or sports club websites because you're not allowed to publish a photo without the permission of every person on it, even if they are in the background in a public area. No chance to show a photo of the London Tower on your website because there will always be people on it.

Google for GDPR if you haven't heard of it.

As a first step I remove all kind of ads from my site and disable all plugins that maybe not GDPR compliant. Maybe I have to close it as a last step.
Activity is already decreasing the last years because many members switched to other plattforms like Facebook, Youtube, soundcloud etc.

:tears:
VikingBlues

Re: General Data Protection Regulation - GDPR

Post by VikingBlues »

Obviously very sad Gerd if you have to go to the last resort, but you have to do what you have to do.

Life I'm afraid gets more bureaucratic and complicated every year.

It's also a great shame that social media has had such a big impact on forums.

Oh dear! :tears:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
fenson

Post by fenson »

:tears: too
Keep your secrets secret...
Protect your datas yourself!
I'd rather stop here, gonna be politicaly incorrect next word!
Thanks for all your work Gerd, lets us know if we can help anyhow :D
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

I'm sorry to hear about this... I am not particularly active these days, but this forum has an important place in my heart. It was through the encouragement of members and (when I got a Line6 Pod) a venue for posting my playing, that pulled me out of a deep slump in my music and kept me playing until I put together my current band. If it weren't for this forum, I probably wouldn't be doing the music that I am. I hope that you can weather these new difficulties.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I finished the first step and removed all content that might look commercial, although the ads didn't even cover the server costs. Now I have to put together a text for those who login what's happening with the data. They are only used by the forum software itself, so this should be possible. I hope my forum software is GDPR compliant.

Next week Chicago is coming! :dance:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I have just updated the Privacy Notice page and added a cookie warning. Please read and tell me if you have any questions or find errors. :think: