Hello from Texas

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
Hellhoundsonme

Hello from Texas

Post by Hellhoundsonme »

Hello. Thanks for the opportunity to discuss Blues-related topics.

I have been playing guitar for around 11 years or so. I picked the guitar up in my mid 40's and have not looked back. I look forward to visiting this forum and reading your posts.

Take Care.
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Texas

Post by 12bar »

:welcome:
I was late, too, but I'm glad I did it. So much fun to play! :oldie:
fenson

Post by fenson »

:welcome: boy!
You might have choosen "HellhoundCannonball" as nick name :lol:

:music2:
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
Hellhoundsonme

Post by Hellhoundsonme »

12bar wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:02 pm :welcome:
I was late, too, but I'm glad I did it. So much fun to play! :oldie:
It sure is! I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to solo over a Blues Progression and it is finally coming together a little. Plus, as I age, I am finding out that I kind of share some of the pain the Blues Legends might have felt. :icon_whoknows:
Hellhoundsonme

Post by Hellhoundsonme »

fenson wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:20 pm :welcome: boy!
You might have choosen "HellhoundCannonball" as nick name :lol:

:music2:
Cannonball is alright with me. I enjoy his brand of blues.

I chose my name based on a line in a Star Trek Movie in which Captain Picard refers to the "hellhounds of time" raviging us. He kind of had a different take on what time does. I think he called it a reminder that its time to pack up and prepare to go somewhere else.

I am in my mid 50's now and I am starting to see both sides of this philosophy. Oh, and of course there is the reference made in Robert Johnson's song.

I really don't like dwelling on negative things, and some Blues songs can be "self-pity" parties. I now kind of think there are times when you might want to throw one for yourself, just for a little self-healing, and then go back out there and rejoin the battle anew. :thumbsup:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

What are you listening to?
Any special song that got you to the Blues?
fenson

Post by fenson »

Hellhoundsonme wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:58 pm I am in my mid 50's now and I am starting to see both sides of this philosophy...
Go ahead youngster! such an :oldie: like me may say :lol:
Hellhoundsonme wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:58 pmI really don't like dwelling on negative things, and some Blues songs can be "self-pity" parties.
You might like Jeremy's version of a compassionate blues <https://youtu.be/1iYUdgfJc6w>
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
Hellhoundsonme

Post by Hellhoundsonme »

12bar wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:14 pm What are you listening to?
Any special song that got you to the Blues?
I have heard different forms of the Blues all my life. I prefer guitar-driven Blues and I would say Albert Collins videos on Youtube. Gary Moore's "All Your Love" pulled me in from my Rock and Hard Rock/Heavy Metal background. From there, he had videos with BB King, Albert King, and Albert Collins. I immediately fell in love with them but it was only lately that I really embraced the Blues wholeheartedly.

I started looking at documentary videos on Youtube and along with maturity, I can really see how hard the original Bluesmen's lives were. The business is, and will always be tough. There were racial barriers and problems. Then there were any self-inflicted stressors from bad decisions made in their youth.

I am sure it was fun when they were young, but once they got older, I imagine it must have been hell staying in different hotels, taking long bus rides, missing their families, going many nights without getting quality sleep, having addictions to battle, and on and on. And I can see how they channeled this very real pain into their music, singing and playing from their souls. So I am a big fan of slow painful Blues that have exemplary guitar work, like Otis Rush's "Hold That Train" and Albert King's version of "Stormy Monday."

It was very real for the original Bluesmen and women and for many that came after them. They were real road warriors in my opinion.

Oh and since you asked, I also am a fan of the bravado and sheer bragadocio of Muddy Waters as well as of Eric Clapton's Blues interpretations. And I have found that when I listen to those Classic Blues mixes on broadcasts such as Pandora and Sirrus, I seem to never tire of all the old-style Blues songs from artists that I don't even know.

Sorry about the long answer.
Hellhoundsonme

Post by Hellhoundsonme »

fenson wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:53 pm
Hellhoundsonme wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:58 pm I am in my mid 50's now and I am starting to see both sides of this philosophy...
Go ahead youngster! such an :oldie: like me may say :lol:
Hellhoundsonme wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:58 pmI really don't like dwelling on negative things, and some Blues songs can be "self-pity" parties.
You might like Jeremy's version of a compassionate blues <https://youtu.be/1iYUdgfJc6w>
Thanks for the link. I wrote a long reply but lost it somehow. You know how the internet and computers can be. I probably wrote too much anyway.

Below is what I am really attracted to lately. The "raw-sounding" Blues with that raw, slightly distorted guitar (although I love Otis Rush's spanky clean tone and vibrato as well). I love "discovering" songs from artists I have never heard of and I have been feeling a real kinship with Chicago blues groups. I really want to hear the Bass, Drums, and a Keyboard with the tone that I like. For instance, 5 minutes ago, I found out about some fellow named "Little Al." At 13:31 in the video, you will hear his "slow burning" Blues. I just love this stuff!

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ0PtrgIo5s
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Great selection! :clap:
Searched for Little Al and found them playing - in Chicago at BG Legends :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCnMO0tJLiA

Maybe I'll be there in May... :banana:
Hellhoundsonme

Post by Hellhoundsonme »

12bar wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:04 am Great selection! :clap:
Searched for Little Al and found them playing - in Chicago at BG Legends :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCnMO0tJLiA

Maybe I'll be there in May... :banana:
Good for you to have that opportunity. At least I have Youtube :big_smile:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:welcome: to the forum Hellhoundsonme! Hope you enjoy it here. :D

That "raw slightly distorted guitar" territory you mention is a good place to be. :thumbsup:

Maybe it's an age thing. It was when I was around 50 that I discovered the blues properly, about 5 years after I took up guitar again after a long break.
I don't know how I missed it - I grew up in the British Blues Boom years and it just seemed to escape my attention.
It's great fun, and sometimes very frustrating, trying to work out solos over a blues backing - well worth the effort, and what you learn about improvising can then be carried over to a lot of other musical styles / genres.

That's a lovely piece of blues with Little Al Thomas that you draw attention to in your link.
A performance that is both very powerful and is also understated - my favourite mix!!! :clap:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

:welcome:
Howdy from Northern New Mexico.
Lots of great blues players from Texas. One, (an acquaintence of mine, friend of my bass player) is Carolyn Wonderland. She just landed a spot as guitar player for John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"