Tutorials

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
mjo

Tutorials

Post by mjo »

I've just spent over an hour going through some of the tutorials here and I have to say GREAT JOB !! You state several times that the point of these transcriptions is to look at how these things work with the harmony - right on the money !

...I've just heard a "monster" blues player, who shall remain nameless, but knew every "lick" known to man ... and used them all in 12 bars :naughty: .. I was left wondering what I heard ... and why -lol

I may not buy all the academia you mention, linguistic / metrics for instance, but it's a good reference to have. ... I'm not a purist, by any stretch. I was also surprised to hear Clapton describe the solo in Crossroads as wrong -lol- I guess he was a bit more the purist at the time :icon_whoknows:

Anyway, just felt like saying GREAT JOB !
..now I'll go work on Old Love :D

-best,
Mike
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Tutorials

Post by 12bar »

Thanks Mike!
The tutorial is about 20 years old, I wrote down what I learned and discovered while trying to tab the songs. There's no need nowadays to get all the books I mentioned, most of this stuff is on the net somewhere, including some great (and some really bad) tutorials on Youtube.
Anyway, keep on playing and share your progress! :dance:
fenson

Re: Tutorials

Post by fenson »

Hi Mike,

Don't have so thank you but Gerd for his wonderfull web site and how generously he maintains this friendly forum!
Dr John wrote a song called "Everything I Do Gonna be Funky"
I eventualy can write "Everything I tab Gonna be Free"
:rofl:
I you ever need help for a lick, a chord progression or everything 'bout guitar 'n music, feel free to ask :D

Cheers
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.