Saddle replacement

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
bbmuddywolf

Saddle replacement

Post by bbmuddywolf »

I have a Charval DS1 guitar I would like to set up for slide playing. With the stock Tune-o-matic bridge and stoptail I can not level out the string heights. I am thinking I need to swap out the bridge for one that has independent string height adjustments. Any suggestions on what I should be looking at?
Blindboy

Re: Saddle replacement

Post by Blindboy »

Hmmm, I haven't had a problem with my stock tunOmatic for slide. That being said, you could look at Stewart Macdonald. They would probably have something that would drop in and have the adjustments you need.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
bbmuddywolf

Post by bbmuddywolf »

I am assuming your tunomatic is setup to match the radius of the fretboard? How well does the curvature of the strings work for the slide barring all strings? Have you made any other adjustments to comoensate for the curvature?
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

bbmuddywolf wrote:I am assuming your tunomatic is setup to match the radius of the fretboard? How well does the curvature of the strings work for the slide barring all strings? Have you made any other adjustments to comoensate for the curvature?
My Gibson has a flatter radius than a Strat. I haven't had any issues getting full chords with a slide. I do raise the string height a bit to cut down on fret rattle. I also prefer slightly heavier strings on all my guitars, and on a dedicated slide guitar, I use even heavier strings. (.13's)
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"