8 bar collab

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
12bar
Site Admin

8 bar collab

Post by 12bar »

Here we go... the first minute of the collab.

Waiting for the BT I started playing to a Youtube mp3 export (thanks to VB) which sounds OK to my ears. I can re-mix it later if I get the original from Richard.
Having not played much for some weeks at all I had to sit down and listen to the song once more to get the feeling, so it's obvious from where I've stolen my licks... :whistle: But it's not nearly as good as the master, so no chance of copyright infringement. :lol:

I started my Sheraton via my Toneport/POD farm but again had the delay so this time I used my Tonlab LE emulating a Boutique OD with Tweed cab and nothing else (no pedals, chorus etc.).

ktth_12bar1stpart.mp3 - (13.18 MiB)

VikingBlues

Re: 8 bar collab

Post by VikingBlues »

Lovely tones Gerd .... and no surprise to me that they are coming from the LE! A great piece of gear in my view.
You've certainly 'got the feeling'! :cool:

In fact there's something of an early Peter Green tone to your sound which gets my musical taste buds drooling! :drool:

I'm going to have to raise my game I see .... though I don't think mine will refer too strongly to any existing versions. :big_smile:

I'm hoping to get a bit of playing in shortly before the weekend is over. I did have an initial play around on Friday night.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks VB - no hurry, take your time. Maybe we get some more members to join, the BT is long enough! :banana:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I've just got the mp3 from Richard! :dance: Thanks!
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote:Thanks VB - no hurry, take your time. Maybe we get some more members to join, the BT is long enough! :banana:
I've downloaded the 'HighwayBackingTrack'. Thanks Richard. :thumbsup:

Now I'll need to make some time for practice! If I could just stay awake in the evenings after work it would be easier! :roll:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Just a note to say I'm not being totally idle on this!

But I haven't got very far yet except some experiments in gear and tone. After a few failed experiments I'm tending towards my often used pairing of Vintage Lemon Drop (middle position) and SuperChamp XD in Bright Overdriven Blackface mode with the treble eased down a bit.

I've tacked a tone test on (at about the minute mark) to the end of your first part here Gerd, and faded it all out at the end of my 'dummy' 2nd part.
I've got lots of homework to do on better note choices, and lots of practice to do on getting the timing better and I'm needing to have the individual notes played better too.
More signs of rust to my blues playing than there is to my strings! :sad:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Tone test sounds promising! Lots of homework for me too, but it's fun to dig out the old licks again. You still got the Blueze, VB! :dance:

Even more fun to play with the Tonelab. This Boutique amp simulation is just great...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Sorry - my attempts on this have been slow already and are now going to be slower.

I've just had to switch to using a mouse left handed. Mouse clickers wrist to add to my arthritic joints issue. A vertical mouse will be tried.

So I'm needing to be careful not to overdo anything that might strain things. Guitar included. Potentially Carpel Tunnel stuff. :sad:

I did have a little tone test with the Tonelab tonight. Ended up on a Vox AC40 Top Boost Sim + that Boutique OD pedal you mentioned / used.

A bit nearer where I might want to be sound wise.

:music2: I've not forgotten ... it's all just on hold. :D
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

VikingBlues wrote: Potentially Carpel Tunnel stuff. :sad:
Every guitar player is afraid of this, so take your time. :fingerscrossed:

The tone is excellent, just enough overdrive to sound fat but still articulated. :thumbsup:
Isn't it a nice piece of gear? :big_smile:

Maybe someone else wants to join? :wave:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

This is sounding great, guys! :clap:
12bar wrote:Maybe someone else wants to join?
I wish I could. I still have no interface, no way to play into the computer. :sad:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I filled another minute, this time with my good ole strat through the line6. Not as sharp as the tonelab LE, but a nice strat-ish sound. Still great fun playing to the BT :dance:

ktth2.mp3 - (13.29 MiB)

VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Interesting tonal contrast compared to the first part, and they work well together. :thumbsup:

So many choices with settings - it's not easy to know what's best.

I haven't forgotten about this thread but have reduced my guitar a bit recently till things settle down. It appears trapped nerves in neck / shoulders more likely the cause of things and not carpal tunnel. Going through a series of physiotherapy / manipulation.

I did return to this project last night, and thought I'd record what I was trying out. It seems comparing this to my previous tests that my head has decided the sort of patterns it wants to play, and I suspect that, for better or worse that's what I'll end up with.

:music2: The PRS SE through the Tonelab LE on a Marshall JTM45 setting. I think the better bits are a mix of single, double and chord notes.
All a bit crude and one paced and lacking real blues playing and feel - but never mind. :icon_whoknows:
Felt a bit sore after 20 minutes playing, so I stopped before any retakes! Not got the stamina anymore. :sad:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

VikingBlues wrote:Felt a bit sore after 20 minutes playing, so I stopped before any retakes! Not got the stamina anymore. :sad:
No problem. We can go on when you're ready. I'm quite busy at the moment, so I can't play much, too. :phew: