Roslin Castle

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Roslin Castle

Post by VikingBlues »

Here is my once a month non-blues offering. I do promise I will try something bluesy before the winter sets in. :shy:

I had a go at a Scots traditional tune called 'Roslin Castle' as arranged in a selection of pieces by a very talented amateur guitarist Mark Thomson back in June / July of 2014. My efforts back then didn't make it to this forum or onto Soundclick as the sound / performance were too flawed.

The Scots / Celtic road I've been travelling down with my guitar has meant I've been revisiting every so often the few of Mark Thomson tunes and arrangements of traditional pieces that are at least possible for me to play. A lot of these tunes are well suited to having a capo used - this was resulting in issues with the sound, as my guitars, being budget ones, don't take a capo too well.

I tried some of these tunes with my newest G7th capo on the recently bought Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap guitar. Too my pleasure, and despite it's budget status, I can add to the list of that guitars virtues that it takes a capo better than any other acoustic guitar I've had. :clap:

Not that all my issues with performance related flaws have gone but, as Mark Thomson himself said would happen, my playing of the tune has become more fluent over the last couple of years.

:music1: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13429707

I believe it will be a lifelong journey to keep making this tune work gradually better. :cool:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Roslin Castle

Post by 12bar »

I had to google first for Roslin Castle and found some recordings on YT, but yours is the best version so far. Wonderful tone fitting the sad sad melody. :pray:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

You've got me going all :shy: now Gerd! :D

It is nice to feel I'm still making progress, even if my fingers aren't!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

That is lovely, VB! Beautiful playing, and your new guitar has a wonderfully rich and expressive tone. :clap:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Mark.....this is simply gorgeous! Your have a wonderful tone here, and beautiful melody!,,
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Cheers Blindboy and Tom. :D

I do feel like I'm starting to get somewhere - the last 3 years of all that acoustic playing starting to pay off, along with finding a guitar that helps me that little bit more. Funny how some guitars make my mistakes stand out and others seem to try to hide them for me.

The Roslin Castle tune does have a particularly strong and sweet melody ... which helps!