Rollin' & Tumblin'

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
bluesinbflat

Rollin' & Tumblin'

Post by bluesinbflat »

Since we can't do covers with the original artist's lyrics, I'll post a bt created by Nick Creswell (I can't remember the URL of his site, lots of good bts and instructional stuff on blues basics) of his version of Rollin' & Tumblin. As usual I start off with harp and let you guys do the rest. Have fun.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9505223

It's in G, btw.
VikingBlues

Re: Rollin' & Tumblin'

Post by VikingBlues »

Hi bflat. Sorry - three days since your post and I've kept meaning to answer but been very busy. :alright:

I've downloaded tonight and will have a go in the next 24 hours and post it back up if it's OK. It'll need to be as I notice your harp playing is up to it's usual high standards - nice. :thumbsup:

It's a bit quiet on the collab front at the moment - the Bossa Nova Blindboy and I have had a go at has stalled and looks like it'll end up just a two hander. Shame - it is a fun one. :sad:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Here we go, dropped a bottleneck verse in on this one...
download/file.php?id=209
Attachments

themammals+bluesriff.mp3 - (3.11 MiB)

"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Good one Blindboy - nice bottleneck. :clap:

Now , how high has this bar been set now? :yikes: :big_smile:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:bb:

download/file.php?id=210

Here's the next leg guys. :banana:

Forced myself to pick up the Vintage "Tele" and not the Hagstrom. And a rare incidence of Viking using a pick. Quite enjoyed this one.

Hope it's not a case of if you pick it it'll never get better. :lol:

NEXT!
Attachments

bluesinbflat, Blindboy, VikingBlues
themammals+bluesriff2.mp3 - (3.12 MiB)

Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

VikingBlues wrote::bb:
Hope it's not a case of if you pick it it'll never get better. :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Nice job on this one VB. The Tele' sounds quite right. :thumbsup:
bluesinbflat

Post by bluesinbflat »

That's it fellas, let that main riff inspire your creativity like it did me. Love the sound of your slide work Blindboy....And VB, you've really tightened up your playing and you're sounding more assertive with the phrasings, good going. :thumbsup: to the both of ya, and thanks for jamming.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

bluesinbflat wrote:That's it fellas, let that main riff inspire your creativity like it did me. Love the sound of your slide work Blindboy....And VB, you've really tightened up your playing and you're sounding more assertive with the phrasings, good going. :thumbsup: to the both of ya, and thanks for jamming.
Thanks bflat - you and Blindboy are not an easy act to follow! :D it's the first collab posting I've done that I've not felt too embarassed about - maybe I'm starting to get the hang of guitar? :icon_whoknows:

This backing track's a good strong one for rhythm and phrasing though. :thumbsup:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Bluesinbflat is right, your playing sounds more confident and assertive on this one. I like how you make a nod toward the main riff, then play off of it. Nice bluesy feel to it (kind of a "British blues" feel to it). (no offense intended. I don't know if you Scots have the same aversion to being lumped in with the British that us southerners feel towards being called "Yanks") :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:Bluesinbflat is right, your playing sounds more confident and assertive on this one. I like how you make a nod toward the main riff, then play off of it. Nice bluesy feel to it (kind of a "British blues" feel to it). (no offense intended. I don't know if you Scots have the same aversion to being lumped in with the British that us southerners feel towards being called "Yanks") :thumbsup:
There's obviously a lot of historical tension that goes with a group of nations being forcbly lumped together. But we try to keep a balanced view - comes of having a chip on each shoulder. :lol:

But no offence is given here by you - I think it's fair to say that the Scots usually dislike being lumped in with the British when it comes to things like a success being described by the UK media. For example if Andy Murray loses at tennis he tends to be called a Scot, and if he wins a tournamnet he suddenly becomes British. :big_smile:

There isn't a huge Scottish Blues scene that's identifiably Scots, and to have my sound referred to as having a British Blues feel to it is as far as I'm concerned a big compliment. Although all this Vox gear, and an anhealthy obsession with Peter Green's music, will be helping me with that. :D

I think I'd have stayed around the main riff longer if I was playing along with the whole backing track, but as the piece was into the third verse and with just 30 very short seconds or so in the verse I felt I had to hit variations pretty quick. At least I think that's what I thought - as you know I tend to play what I hear in my head and it's all a bit spur of the moment. Today it would be a different take on it, tomorrow different again. One of the reasons I don't find the editing approach to recordings a logical or easy option for me. :wall:
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

There isn't a huge Scottish Blues scene that's identifiably Scots, and to have my sound referred to as having a British Blues feel to it is as far as I'm concerned a big compliment. Although all this Vox gear, and an anhealthy obsession with Peter Green's music, will be helping me with that. :D

Our formal bass man is Scottish and ware a T shirt with on the front written: Be A Hamster Not A Lemming... Is That a special Scottish Joke ore a band?
I never had the change to ask him :think: :alright:
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool