Unusual Start to the Day

Everything that doesn't fit elsewhere
VikingBlues

Unusual Start to the Day

Post by VikingBlues »

4 o'clock this morning. Great cracking noise! :yikes:

Investigation revealed:-

There's a cupola above the stairs - with long (near 4 foot) triangular glass panes. One pane was hanging over the stairwell, our only way out of the house - which could result in a very effective decapitation if it fell at the wrong time. About 30 feet to the bottom. We once had a seagull knock a pane right in and it shattered on the bannister and went everywhere - left great gouges in the bannister too!

As a bit of icing on the cake ..... of course it was raining this morning. :roll:

Couldn't reach it ourselves and needless to say trying to contact Insurers and Underwriters at that time of day on a Sunday morning proved difficult and eventually fruitless. Now made safe by a local roofer we phoned at 8:15 and had the job done by 9:30 which was magic :phew: - no doubt there will be arguments about the bill by the insurers.

So much for a relaxing weekend. Now all jittery and on edge. :thumbsdown:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

Re: Unusual Start to the Day

Post by MichaelRobinson »

What can I say? It is certainly a less hell and expensive unnecessarily. Blame the seagull.

This may not fit in the environment you have in your home, and maybe it does, but my suggestion is that you paint the glass with any glass color in any pattern you like. I do not think that seagulls do not see that there is glass if you don't
I myself have had visits by the birds and the birds that flew right into the windows. I do not think that birds see there is an obstacle in the way.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Oh crap...... a good thing it didn't fall completely down, even more nobody got hurt. pffff
Looks like a full maintenance/restauration is in order. that isn't going to be cheap my friend.

You got lucky, but in the process it will hurt in your wallet I'm afraid.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:yikes: Like in a horror film!
Glad nobody got hurt...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote::yikes: Like in a horror film!
"The Omen" immediately came into my mind when I saw it! The scene where the persons head is severed by a sheet of plate glass sliding off the back of a lorry.

At least the temporary repair seems to be holding - we had hail, rain and strong winds yesterday.Typical weather for June! :roll:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Oh yes, we had the coldest May for years!