What's HBL up to now

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Re: What's HBL up to now

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Didn't feel to much like playing lately, but then again, today I kicked the jamman and fetched Josie again :) Had this A-D-G-A sequence on the jamman from last year and ah well. :lefty:

download/file.php?id=2680
Attachments

jammajamjam.mp3 - (4 MiB)

A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

A slow piece to let the week end, perfect for Sunday evening! :clap:
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

12bar wrote:A slow piece to let the week end, perfect for Sunday evening! :clap:
+1
Jan 15th 2007
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks guys, wasn't to special, but at least it was fun to play :)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

I've avoided playing for a while and today for the first time felt like fooling around with my guitars and stuff.
The reason ? Mhh lets just say the time HBL puts down his axes feels nearer then I want it to be, so I backed down, hoping some rest would easen up things a little. It did btw :)

Todays session is just some chords and phrases, recorded using the SPDIF options from Cybie and the Fasttrack Pro. Somehow I like the sound, but it still doesn't stands it's ground against a couple of mics stuck in front of those 12 inch Celestions. especialy the overdive (grit) is a lot sweeter when coming from the speakers.

download/file.php?id=2694

Please keep in mind that I haven't played for a while, so I was a little stiff in the fingers. :angry:
Attachments

spdif.mp3 - (2.95 MiB)

vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Very nice! :D :clap: :thumbsup:
You have this particular feel for pieces like this one, really good!
:naughty: You're not going to put down your axes, aren't you? :roll: :fingerscrossed:
Jan 15th 2007
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Not good to hear of your problem, though good to hear the rest has eased it a bit. Hope it keeps on easing. :fingerscrossed:

The quality still shines through despite the stiff fingers. Melodic and moody. :clap: :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I hope you can play these beautiful lines as long as possible. It sounds so great - just give your fingers/hands enough time to recover. Don't stop - please! :fingerscrossed:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks for the listen and the support guys.
Currently it feels like it's hurdling south. But then again that happened before and turned around :fingerscrossed:

I'll keep trying and take rests when needed.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thought I'd give the Epi a run for it's money and try a quick jam on a all to familiar tune.
Yes, you're right it was to soon for a playing session. damn.

download/file.php?id=2701
Attachments

h_o_r_s-jam.mp3 - (3.56 MiB)

HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Mhh maybe I should have stayed away from this one.... rethinking.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Mhh maybe I should have stayed away from this one.... rethinking.
Why? It's well known, sure, everyone can play the chord progression (even I), but this version is different - in a good HBL way! :clap:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks Gerd, it somhow started to feel; weird, strange and off to do this one in my way. Don't know why.
Might have been a mood swing of some kind I guess.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Twisting some knobs on my gear : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2994#p19911

:D
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Today I got a great response on one of my older songs "Memories of what could have been" which fired me up to fool around a play a little again today

Today it's a little thingie played over a chords sequence I use quite often. ( A, C#m, Bm,E)
Of course I have something in my sleeve, the thingie has been named Cybie and the plastic bottles for a reason.
I happen to drink carbonized spring water, which comes in those floppy thin plastic bottles. Last week I was going to throw another empty bottle in my waste bin when an idea sprung to mind :aha: What will happen to the sound a microphone records when I use a cut down plastic bottle slid over the microphone to gat a more precise aim on a spot on the speaker... mhhhh :think:
I fetched an exacto knife and a couple of empty bottles and started cutting away. The result of this quick and dirty operation is showing below.
Cybie and the bottles.jpg
Cybie and the bottles.jpg (276.89 KiB) Viewed 17331 times
I fetched Josie and selected the preset I created earlier in this thread. Dialed the trim further down and upped the gain a little.
I laid down the chord sequence a couple of times and looped that once. (wouldn't want to bore you guys with a long jam. :naughty: )
After that I laid down a uhm leadish track and mixed the endresult ( only added some reverb )

I would have to record a bottle-less version to point it out, but I do have to admit it slightly differs from my normal sound with this preset and guitar. can't point it out exactly though.
I guess I like the sound.

download/file.php?id=2732

I still feel there is to much highs in the grit, but I'm slowly winning this.
btw: I couldn't help noticing the melody at some points has a vague resemblence with parts from memories of what could have been. :D

Update

After posting the above, I was about to shut down cybie and put Josie to sleep ;) But couldn't resist to fool around a little.
My DAW was recording my fooling aound and after listening I just loved the gritty sound when I worked the sting a little harder and on the lower notes, while cleaning up beautifully when I eased down a little.
I named it for history and saving, but the playing isn't worth mentioning, but that sound... :dance: :banana: :chicken: :high5:

download/file.php?id=2733
Attachments

cybie and the bottles 2 gritty sounds.mp3 - (1.47 MiB)

Cybie and the plastic bottles.mp3 - (2.18 MiB)

VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

A very interesting idea indeed! :thumbsup: Inventive thinking there. :aha:

I could certainly see some great possibilities fro you from that gritty sound in the update. :clap:

I could also see the potential for the water bottle technique in recording an acoustic guitar - maybe cut a bit of the finger noise on the fretboard? And with just small changes in position of the microphone making such big changes in sound of an acoustic who knows what else! Hmmm. :think:
We only drink bottled water here as the water from the tap is so revolting :sad: - our current four legged friend and our previous dog and cat all choose / chose bottled water v tap water if given a choice. The tap water is like drinking from a lake of chemicals and smells a bit like a swimming pool with all the chlorine. All lovely and cloudy too if not allowed to run a bit first before filling a glass. :thumbsdown:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Last week I was going to throw another empty bottle in my waste bin when an idea sprung to mind :aha:
Something that never happens in my country - we have to pay a pledge for every bottle, even for the one-way bottles, so we return them all... :lol:

However, it would be worth the 25 cent - the result sounds beautiful! :clap:
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

I Only pop into 12 bar occasionally these days ....But delighted that I did......................

To to be able to listen to these two tracks from HBL ...Superb tones and a great choice of notes, Simple ..Stripped Back .. but powerful and totally on the money ... almost makes me want to pick up an electric again :lefty: ....But I shall probably resist and stay guitar_fire::

Thanks for a cracking listen !! :D
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

I have not followed your project in the quest for the perfect sound. The only thing I've done is listened to the latest audio files and they sound different to each other yet good.

I think someone needs to enlighten you. It seems that you are stuck in the quest and become quite busy with finding the perfect sound. There is no perfect. There are good and bad and everything in between but never perfect and static. Be careful with you so it does not become fanaticism in your search.
If you get stuck in search for the perfect as it can go bad with you, mentally, and I do not believe is good for the psyche. I hope I'm wrong and you have your eye on what you're doing.

Pleas. Take care !! I know you are a good guitarist. I think more than I know about it. Try to suck it up and do not overdo it to find the perfect sound for you have many great sounds to lean against.

I'm worried about you. That's all. I mean well.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks a lot guys. Meanwhile 'm satisfied with the tone (for now) and shifted for fooling aound with Kitty.

Laid down a couple of chords and tracks and did a first try of creating some leadish lines.
download/file.php?id=2737

I know it has some Floydish simularity... strange :think: aint got a clue were that came from :away:

Remeber, just fooling around so inclusing hiss, rumble and noisiness :wink:
Attachments

kitty's chords_first try.mp3 - (3.5 MiB)