Blues box?!?

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
tbone

Blues box?!?

Post by tbone »

Hi!

Could anyone tell me what's meant by Blues box? Is it the so-called B.B. King position, which as far as I know is based around the second inversion of a maj chord (e.g. in the key of A the notes g and a on the second string and c and on the first string) and where the King himself bends and vibrates the hell out of it as it just pleases him? As far as I understand Blues boxes are comfort zones within the pentatonic scale patterns, or am I wrong about that? Which are yours?

Hmmm... :think:

Greetings,

tbone
VikingBlues

Re: Blues box?!?

Post by VikingBlues »

I've seen blues box referred to in at least 3 different ways.

Like you've said - referring to "that" section of the fretboard that BB King plays a good bit of his trademark sound and style,
Also seen it just referring to the Pentatonic notes - where the Pentatonic boxes #1 to #5 have just been labelled as blues boxes - odd that!
Also seen it referring to the Pentatonic boxes #1 to #5 with the added b5 blue note. Which does sort of make more sense.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

tbone

Post by tbone »

Wow, thanks for the quick replies!

@ Vikingblues:That's what I got to know as Blues boxes, too, and I also did not find it to be very good name for fingering patterns... I think the BB Box is that what makes most sense for me as it's really a comfort zone although you really have to know your moves... :guitarist:

@ Well, I'm still reviewing the chords chapter of your great tutorial - it will surely broaden my knowledge on the subject and I liked how you explain everything using the keyboard (why I printed this chapter out and put it next to my daughter's keyboard, secretly trying to learn some basic piano skills :whistle: ) As I move through your tutorial chapter by chapter, I didn't get to http://12bar.de/cms/tutorial/scales/ in the middle yet... maybe I should read everything first and collect my questions for later (if there are any, that is)!

Greetings,

tbone