Basic question regarding Blues guitar skill development

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
tbone

Basic question regarding Blues guitar skill development

Post by tbone »

Hey guys,

I just posted this question on another forum (John Ganapes' BYCU forum, where I also post my progress with his tutorial book series) - but as it is, the revamped forum still doesn't have many visitors so I didn't receive an answer yet... as I assume there are more than enough players around here who can answer this "rookie" question effortlessly, I'd like to take the liberty to repeat my question here and ask for your advise... I wanted to know how you build up your solos... I try to build up a practice routine where I switch back and forth from playing rhythm to playing lead (e.g. play rhythm guitar for one chorus, then play solo guitar in the second chorus and so on...). When building up solos I try to do something like this, but to tell you the truth I really struggle with it:

A (CALL): Measure 1: CALL / Measure 2: RESPONSE / Measure 3: CALL / Measure 4: RESPONSE
A (CALL): Measure 1: CALL / Measure 2: RESPONSE / Measure 3: CALL / Measure 4: RESPONSE
B (RESPONSE): Measure 1: CALL / Measure 2: RESPONSE / Measure 3: TURNAROUND / Measure 4: TURNAROUND

It looks nice in the book, but it's hard to do on the ground (for me, that is). Any helpful tips would be most appreciated!

I remember a Hendrix interview where he said that learning the blues'd be easier than actually playing it... hmm. I don't want to fall in the trap to noodle around mindlessly (just repeating licks over and over like a parrot who can speak but not talk)...

Thanks,

greetings,

tbone
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Basic question regarding Blues guitar skill development

Post by 12bar »

If you switch between rhythm and solo without lyrics/vocals, there's nothing your guitar can "respond" to. Typically (most Delta Blues, or BB King for example) you have a vocal statement (call) followed by a guitar response that somehow has a relation to it. A short lick sometimes is enough if it fits to the call like being a variation of the main theme. If you play just chords, there's nothing to respond to.
We discussed this a while ago:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=309
with some very good examples.
Feel free to post some of your recordings so that we know on which level you're asking.
tbone

Re: Basic question regarding Blues guitar skill development

Post by tbone »

Hello!

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Actually, the idea to play call and response both with the guitar to a backing track... I'm going to take a look at your Link - thanks a lot!

Greetings,

t.