Here we go again, new band!

Talking Blues, news, cool links
ratfinkdan

Here we go again, new band!

Post by ratfinkdan »

Some of you may remember a while back I posted that I was starting a band and after a short time everyone was flaking out on it so I pullled the plug. Tried to get it going again with the drummer and some guys he knew but no go. So I saw an ad on my local craigeslist, wanted 2nd guitar for blues. I responded and a couple days latter got a call from the guitar player, sounded good a bass player who sings some and a guitar player, they were getting togeather that afternoon , so I went and played with them for a couple of hours. Good guys who have been getting togeather every week for the past year and are ready to get a blues band going! They have a bunch of tunes down, Freddie king, BB King, Albert King, ect, I threw some ideas out like Little Walter and some Magic Sam and Otis Rush, went really good. We've gotten togeather twice now and it really working good, they are starting to look for a drummer, so I think were going to have a cool little blues band! I'll keep you posted as we go but I think this ones going to work out, were all into the same music and were all committed to practices, and hopefully here in a bit I can start recording a few practices so I might have some clips to post. Dan
MichaelRobinson

Re: Here we go again, new band!

Post by MichaelRobinson »

OK...... :fingerscrossed:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

All Right! :thumbsup:
Good luck! Getting a band together can be frustrating. If it works, though, it is VERY rewarding. :big_smile:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Great! Good luck and enjoy! :music1:
ratfinkdan wrote:... and hopefully here in a bit I can start recording a few practices so I might have some clips to post. Dan
:drool:
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Hey Dan, hope it works this time also....and then we get to hear some recordings of the new band :)
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Great, go !
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

Thought I'd post a little update, everything is going really well and moving along at a nice steady pace. We tried out a drummer today, went really good,
young guy in his early 20s, he plays in a rock band but really wants to explore the blues. He didn't overplay or play to loud, seemed to have a good understanding of how to play a shuffle and how to swing, he was wondering about the age differences as were we but evryone seemed to get along great so looks like a good fit. We have been getting togeather every week and I have been sitting down with the other guitar player to work out guitar parts during the week which is working out really well. He feels more comfortable as a rythem player so I have become the lead guitar player by default I guess which is fine with me, really pushing me to work more on my leads and to listen more to the tunes to learn the licks! I think we have 8 or 9 tunes down pretty good and just put a new one togeather today, were hoping to have 2 sets down and tight by the begining of July. So everything is going good so far! Dan
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Great to hear! Now - recordings!
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:thumbsup: Good to hear you're making good progress - fingers crossed! :fingerscrossed:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

Hey Guys, a little update, the band is doing good. We have been practicing once a week every week and are getting tighter and have 12 or 13 songs down some a little tighter than others but all sounding good. We played at a local blues jam last weekend, they let us do 6 songs, we did good and everyone seemed to like our sound and they were asking us to come back so I guess thats a good sign. The other guitar player had never played in a band or played live before so he was pretty nervouse, didn't want to do any leads so I got all the solos, but he did great though and said he won't be so nervouse next time. We came up with the name the innocent bystanders but at the jam one of my guitar buddies kept telling everyone we were the finktones and it kind of stuck so were the fabulous finktones. The other guitar player recorded a coulpe on the songs at the jam on his micro br80 and I was surprised how good the recording quality was, also how good we really sounded, also shot a little bit of video on his phone that was fun to watch also. Our set list was Key to the highway: All your Love ( I miss Lovin ): My Babe: The Thrill is gone: Red House: and Black Magic Woman. Would like to post one of those recordings but don't want to worry about copyright stuff. So this is a quick jam we did at practice today recorded on the boss micro br80 ( this thing is really cool! ) Live from Robs House in lovely Maple Valley, Wa, The Fabulous Finktones Live and Raw in the garage, it was very much on the fly, so hope you enjoy it, Thanks. Dan

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12316167

Ps: I played the first and the third solo.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks - sounds great and has a lot of raw energy! :dance: :clap: Congrats!!