My Hot Rodded Blues Junior

Talk about guitars, amplifiers, effects and other gear
BadBluesPlayer

My Hot Rodded Blues Junior

Post by BadBluesPlayer »

Here's my new amp project, the Blues Jonny. It's a Fender Blues Junior with 6V6 power tubes, a choke, a bunch of circuitry upgrades. It's in a refurbished Deluxe size pine cabinet with new tweed covering and oxblood grillcloth.

ImageImageImage

Sound demo:
3Ziyyig8yzI
VikingBlues

Re: My Hot Rodded Blues Junior

Post by VikingBlues »

Beautiful sounds on the demo! :drool:

Great reward for the work you put into it I think. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Delicious sounds
Love the noodles :)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

Very cool badblueplayer! Sounds really good , looks cool too, I have a blues jr 3 have thought about putting it into a bigger pine cab, just not sure if I want to put that much money into it, i've heard that the bigger cab alone will really help open them up tone wise. Nice job on all the work! Dan
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Hey this is a timely post, just bought a blues junior and a squire tele the other day! I have not had much time to mess with them much though. Hopefully this weekend. Dying to try the blues junior through my sons 4x12 cab!

Your mods look/ sound awesome:)
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
antigua72

Post by antigua72 »

Hey good badblues player
thats really a dream ...incredible
please tell us more about it.
is this a Presence knob like a billm audio one...and what is the dip switch between Bass and Treble for ?
Did you made this on your own ? Or was it a kit.
respectfully and very jealous greetings
BadBluesPlayer

Post by BadBluesPlayer »

Many of the upgrades are the same or similar to the BillM mods that are so popular. The presence control is the same as BillM's. The toggle switch is a bright switch. I later realized that I could use the Push/pull switch on the presence control for the bright switch, so that's what I'm doing to them now.

My mods are similar to BillM's. I just did more stuff. Upgraded all the power caps, all the caps in the signal path, added a choke, replaced all the tube sockets and tube board with new wiring and new chassis mount sockets, replaced all the ribbon cable wiring. There are about 50 upgrades, including a Weber alnico 12a150 speaker.

Here's me and my buddy playing a gig with the two prototype amps - my buddy's amp is the same but with a Weber ceramic 12f150 speaker:
Aev7ZQDfF74
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Now there's a demo that shows off the amps sounds very well. Upgrades done to good effect to say the least. :cool: :drool:

Have to say that's some great playing going on there by the whole group - very tight and in the groove - great stuff! :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

I just finished converting a BJ to 6v6's, but I didn't add the choke or go for a larger cabinet. Just did the basic mods for the octal conversion. This was for the owner of the music store I work at.
I'm thinking of doing the octal conversion to one of my Pro jrs.. I'm curious as to how close to 5E3 territory I could get with a 6v6 PJ.
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.