Crossroads 2010 Festival MOVIE!!!

Talking Blues, news, cool links
LeftyBlues

Crossroads 2010 Festival MOVIE!!!

Post by LeftyBlues »

I was going to add this to Strummers thread, but I thought a new one was necessary.

I was online browsing to see if MSN would be providing video feed from the festival and found this....

http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie/eric ... oads-2010/

July 27, the festival will be shown at theaters all across the country!!!! (not sure about anyplace other than the US)
I found out that it is coming to my local theater.
Just got me pumped up for it and thought you guys might be interested.
elborgo

Re: Crossroads 2010 Festival MOVIE!!!

Post by elborgo »

Hopefully a DVD will be out soon, (or a bootleg cut) ...
"and if you wanna get high
close to the sky
welcome to the mountains"
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

Leftyblues wrote:July 27, the festival will be shown at theaters all across the country!!!! (not sure about anyplace other than the US)
I found out that it is coming to my local theater.
Just got me pumped up for it and thought you guys might be interested.
Thanks for this tip, Leftyblues... checked it out and will be in Nashville theaters as well. My grandson and I have plans to attend. Looking forward to it. :thumbsup:
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
drockadam

Post by drockadam »

I wish I could go see the Crossroads Movie but, It's only viewing in the States.
Keep The Blues Alive,

- Adam De Rocco
LeftyBlues

Post by LeftyBlues »

That sucks Adam. You'd think that if some of the money is going to his foundation then he would want more theaters, but I guess not. I bought my ticket yesterday just to be sure :D. I'm not missing this for the world. Me and some buds heading out to see it tomorrow. Can't wait.
microtech

Post by microtech »

Kind of a cool idea to show it in theaters with the superior sound, but I will wait for the DVD (can't attend tomorrow anyhow).
Thom07

Post by Thom07 »

Probably wait for the DVD, myself. Movie theater that is showing it locally jacked up ticket prices $5.00 over regular pricing for it.
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

I'm torn on whether to go or not. I mean, it was only a few weeks ago. But then again, why not.
Let me tell you what the blues is....
drockadam

Post by drockadam »

Did anyone go to see it today? How was it?
Keep The Blues Alive,

- Adam De Rocco
LeftyBlues

Post by LeftyBlues »

drockadam wrote:Did anyone go to see it today? How was it?
Mines not showing for another 2 WHOLE HOURS........ haha.
I'll post what I think when I come back.
drockadam

Post by drockadam »

Alright! I can't wait to hear some of it! I wonder if anyone will bootleg it? I wish so.
Keep The Blues Alive,

- Adam De Rocco
aggiefan

Post by aggiefan »

:wave: Hey everybody. I just saw the movie. It was GREAT!!!!! And to answer your questions there will be a dvd coming out in November I believe. I went with my grandpa :oldie: (golfxzq if you dont already know). After the show we made a list of who was there. So he will probably post it pretty soon. This a must see movie. So if you didnt see it get it on dvd. :thumbsup:
LeftyBlues

Post by LeftyBlues »

Just got back from seeing it. I second what aggiefan said, It was AMAZING!!!!!!
The movie captured some of the better songs and not just the artists hits. The Clapton songs were kept to a minimum (unfortunately, still good dose of it though :D) Some highlights were ZZ Top playing some lesser known songs, Robert Cray with Jimmie Vaughan and Hubert Sumlin (Still kickin', oxygen tank and all!!!), Buddy Guy with Ronnie Wood and Johnny Lang (GREAT), and Doyle Bramhall whose is quite a ball of energy when he plays with his band and not second guitar in Clapton's band.

The biggest surprise to me was John Mayer and his band. I had always written off John Mayer as someone who can "kinda" play the blues but wastes his talent pleasing the mainstream audience. Let me be the first to tell you that he was AWESOME. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for Ray Bans :D but his solo was one of the best I've heard from him IMO.

Overall rating 8-9/10:
Could of been better (longer maybe??? haha 2 hours is never enough for a day long festival), some of the camera shots were odd and blurry. The music was obviously great and fantastic. Price to see it in theaters was kinda high, almost enough to buy the DVD.

Overall, DEFINITELY buy the DVD. Hopefully it has more songs than the movie and some extra stuff.
drockadam

Post by drockadam »

Sounds like a great DVD.
Keep The Blues Alive,

- Adam De Rocco
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

Having been there, I don't think they did a good job of capturing how hot it was...jk.

It was really good, I enjoyed Susan Tudeski and Johnny Lang even more than when I was there live. They only got about half of my favorite songs from the show, but thats more of an opinion thing. I wish they would have shown Mayer's cover Aint no Sunshine, Clapton playing Crossroads, Warren Haynes and co playing Soulshine, Johny Winter playing Red House. But they got right Buddy Guy, Lang, Wood playing Five Long Years and Clapton and Winwood playing Had to Cry and Voo doo Chile.

Overall, really good, and hoping the four hour version has some of my favs on there.

I'm looking forward to additional reviews from people who were there as well as people who didn't make the show.

mike
Let me tell you what the blues is....
Thom07

Post by Thom07 »

The DVD will be on to buy list for sure.
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

As Aggiefan said, we had a great time at the showing. I'm sure it was not the same as being there, but it was the best we could do. Price in Nashville wasn't too bad, $12.50 each... but then you add in a little movie popcorn and a drink and you've got a nice retirement account going there.

It was great, highly recommended. The movie version was a two hour compilation of the best performers, one right after the other. Interesting to see the crowd as the concert began around Noon in bright sunlight and continued into the night. When it started, I commented to Aggiefan that there were seats available. As the day progressed the place got really packed. By evening there was not one square inch of space left.

I can't begin to name all the performers and I will probably misspell the ones we did recall. Each one was excellent in their own way. Of course we liked some better than others. Thanks to MoJo Jim for helping me fill in the blanks.

Sonny Landreth - Slide guitarist from Louisiana, did a great job.
Steve Winwood - great, no doubt.
Jimmie Vaughn - SRV's brother - OK but not as good as SRV
Buddy Guy - WOW
Derek Trucks - sort of dull personality but a great player
Vince Gill - great picker. Interesting a country star on this stage but, being from Nashville I have seen him perform before and he can really burn the strings.
Susan Tedeschi - Plays guitar but more of a singer. Married to Derek Trucks. They often tour together. Great singer, as MoJoJim has said.
Jeff Beck - good but not my "cup of tea"
Sheryl Crow - Very good, she looked as if she was having a wonderful time.
Robert Cray - Excellent
Joe Bonamassa - I wish they had shown more of him, one of my current favorites.
ZZ Top - probably the most entertaining act there. They always entertain.
Robert Randolph - very good
BB King - only showed him in the finale and he didn't play alone. I wonder if he is loosing it? But, he is still the King.
Gary Clark Jr. - A young Austin guy and an outstanding player.
Earl Kluough - don't know him but good
Warren Haynes - very good
Albert Lee - very good
Keb Mo - Very good, enjoyed him a lot
John Mayer - great

I'm sure there were more that we could not recall. All the entertainers were excellent, as expected. It was a fun time, wish we could have been there live but the air conditioned and cushioned seats in the theater sure beat the hard bleachers in 100 degrees for 8 hours.
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
LeftyBlues

Post by LeftyBlues »

Golfxzq wrote:Jimmie Vaughn - SRV's brother - OK but not as good as SRV
I sometimes enjoy him in different aspects compared to SRV, might be my jazz side coming through though.