OK _ Who's going down to the Crossroads ??

Talking Blues, news, cool links
Strummer07

OK _ Who's going down to the Crossroads ??

Post by Strummer07 »

4 days to go until this years Crossroads !! :clap: :clap:

who is excited ?

Who is Going ?

Whats the gossip ?? any surprise artists showing up ??

As I am 3000 miles away I can't get there ..but would love to hear all about on 12 Bar
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Slowhand68

Re: OK _ Who's going down to the Crossroads ??

Post by Slowhand68 »

Unfortunately the festival is a little out of my way also :alright: , So I won't be able to go. But I would like to know if anyone here knows some place online where I can watch it. The last edition was being transmitted by msn while it happened.

Cheers,
Stefano.
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

Big time looking forward to the show. Can't decide who i want to see most, luckily I won't have to. I am excited to see the Allman Bros as I've never seen them live. Then the usual favorites of BG, BB, Clapton, Mayer. Also interested in seeing Bonomassa.

Speaking of Bonomassa, can someone recommend a good starter cd of his. So far i've only listened to him on youtube.
Let me tell you what the blues is....
microtech

Post by microtech »

Wish I could go, but I will be awaiting the DVD. Definitely would be most excited about the ABB.
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

tradrr wrote:I am excited to see the Allman Bros as I've never seen them live.

:alright: Sorry Dude....
Gregg Allman has undergone successful liver transplant surgery. The Allman Brothers Band will not be performing at Saturday's Crossroads Guitar Festival 2010 at Toyota Park in Bridgeview, IL. The Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi Band, along with longtime Allman Brothers Band/Gov't Mule iconic guitarist Warren Haynes, will take the stage and invite special friends to join them.
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
microtech

Post by microtech »

Damn, I hadn't heard about the transplant...appears it just happened today, huh?

I just went to an excellent Gregg Allman concert like 3 weeks ago.
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

DETROIT (Billboard) - Allman Brothers Band co-founder Gregg Allman underwent liver-transplant surgery on Wednesday, forcing the veteran group to pull out of Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festival on Saturday near Chicago.

Allman, who was diagnosed with hepatitis C in late 2007, underwent the transplant at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla.
"I feel pretty good, considering everything that's happened," the 62-year-old keyboardist said in a statement. "Everybody involved here, my doctors and nurses in the hospital and all the Allman Brothers fans, they've just all been great ... All I can say is 'thanks.'"

Shortly after his hepatitis was diagnosed, Allman told Billboard that the disease "was laying dormant for awhile and just kind of crept up on me. I was worn out. I had to sleep 10 or 11 hours a day to play two or three (hours). It's just one of those things that sneaks up on you and will just kind of ride you for as long as you don't know you have it."
Seems he is doing OK... here's hope for a speedy recovery...
- Henry Ford
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

All seems to be cooking nicely .. for a great show ......Bloomin shame about the Allman Brothers not performing as the ABB ...but am delighted to hear that Susan Tedeshi and hubbie 's band Derek Trucks band will be there .....and if you've got Warren Haynes along too .you almost have the full package

I hope they pump out "Soulshine"

I thought Susan at the last Crossroads was belting , great voice.....not bad legs too !! ....got me to buy a couple of her cd's ( the voice that is !!)

Bonammassa ..I'd go for Ballad of John Henry as a 1st pick cd........although many would say Sloe Gin and or Blues Deluxe show him at his best. Take a listen to teh tracks on Amazon .. I'll almost bet you'll go for Ballad 1st .but follow up with S.Gin
Gary Moore 1952-2011
tombstone

Post by tombstone »

I'll be there. Looking forward to Derek Trucks and Susan, of course (Roadsongs is far and away my album of the year so far) Joe, Buddy, EC, John Mayer, Johnny Lang, Robert Cray and more.

Shame about the Allmans.
I used to be tombstoneblues.
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

Strummer07 wrote:
Bonammassa ..I'd go for Ballad of John Henry as a 1st pick cd........although many would say Sloe Gin and or Blues Deluxe show him at his best. Take a listen to teh tracks on Amazon .. I'll almost bet you'll go for Ballad 1st .but follow up with S.Gin
Thanks, Strummer! I'll knew I could count on the board to point me in the right direction.
Strummer07

Goin' down to the Crossroads ... Yeah !!

Post by Strummer07 »

Be really interested to get a low down on how Bonamassa comes across in this company

I saw him about a month ago and he was good , no doubt about it.
However ( for me) ......he's one of these players that goes the "Too Many Notes" route............too often for me.

I'll be intrested to see what numbers he picks..

Over here (UK) we have a weekend and a half comin up

Glastonbury festival starts tonight .usually a belting 3 days............. .and not a drop of rain in sight !! ( Not for me tho ... I don't like festivals and i wouln't camp out in that scrum of tents!! Headliners Saturday night is Muse & the Scissor sisters which could be a god evening and then on Sunday .............Stevie Wonder headlines
http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up-poster

Hard Rock Calling in Hyde Park London starts tonight with Pearl Jam headling tonight
Saturday .. would you believe Corrinne Bailey Rae / James Morrison - Jamiroquai and closing out Saturday night .Stevie Wonder !! .respect !!
Sunday afternoon / evening ... Elvis Costello setting up Crowded House .. setting up Crosby Stills and Nash .Culminating with a 2 hours plus set from Paul McCartney and band!! Wow !!

and whats more............................................
I have 2 tickets for Sunday and McCartney .going with my son ...great !! a few beers will get supped :beer:

Oh! Yes and the small matter of the World Cup Football and Sunday afternoon 1500 GMT ... brings us Germany versus England !! ....whats your call Gerd ??

Have a great weekend guys

and for those of you lucky enough to be getting down to them thar Crossroads ......Have a blast

and ............do keep us posted !!

We need reviews / gossip / photo's /autographs/ T shirts / sound clips ...the whole 9 yards please !!
Gary Moore 1952-2011
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

I went down to the Crossroads....literally. As you might expect, it was an amazing fest today.

We lucked out and didn't get the expected rain, but it was hot as can be.

I'll give you my highlights and let any others who attended add theirs:

Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks playing Soulshine
Buddy Guy and Ronnie Wood playing Five Long Years
John Mayer amazed with Aint no sunshine
Johnny Winter playing Red House
Clapton playing Crossroads, Key to the Highway
Winwood with Clapton on Had to Cry and Voodoo Child

I think Bonomassa really impressed. The crowd seemed to really get into him. Vince Gill had everyone going, too. Jimmy Vaughn, Keb Mo were great.

Anyway, that's my quick review. I'll have more later.

I hope they ended up broadcasting it so everyone had a chance to see it.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Sounds like a real blast tradrr ..thanks for the early mini review

and the played Soulshine !! Wow!! :thumbsup:
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Slowhand68

Post by Slowhand68 »

Well, Clapton has always had a good sense of style.... Can't really imagine what happened :whistle:
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

I was trying to think what else I could write, but decided I'd leave it to an expert:

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/ ... -2010.html

And here's his running diary:

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/ ... ments.html

I don't agree with everything he said, but it's an opinion and a favorable review.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Thanks for the reviews tradrr
sounds like a good day was had by one and all .....rather unsure about Eric outfit to be honest ... shorts and deck shoes ...cool !!

But a pin striped waistcoat!! .......and ..................Oh deary me :yikes: that hair !!..........I shall say no more !

Sounds like you had a hot hot day! ......and a 12 hour stint is tough even if the music is right up there.
Rather sounds like it might have been best to put BBking on a bit earlier and not as a finale .. headliner.

You need to go out on a bit of a bang ( Dear Mr Fantasy perhaps ??) not a monologue from BB

Look forward to the dvd
Gary Moore 1952-2011
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

You're welcome, Strummer. I'm just glad to finally be able to contribute to the site a bit.

Here's another review from our other paper:

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/2 ... 28.article

I agree with this one more. And there's a better pic of Eric. Though I've got to tell you, if he keeps putting this on, he can dress any way he wants...ha.
LeftyBlues

Post by LeftyBlues »

Strummer07 wrote:Rather sounds like it might have been best to put BBking on a bit earlier and not as a finale .. headliner.

You need to go out on a bit of a bang ( Dear Mr Fantasy perhaps ??) not a monologue from BB
It seems like Eric was going for what he did at the first Crossroads festival in '04. ZZ Top closed the show cause it was in Texas. While it does seem that the closer should be someone with alot of energy, like ZZ Top, BB seemed fitting. But if you asked me... hehe... I would have given Buddy another go at it. haha
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

[quote="LeftyBlues
It seems like Eric was going for what he did at the first Crossroads festival in '04. ZZ Top closed the show cause it was in Texas. While it does seem that the closer should be someone with alot of energy, like ZZ Top, BB seemed fitting. But if you asked me... hehe... I would have given Buddy another go at it. haha[/quote]

Well, Buddy did close it out like he did the 07 show. He led all the rest of the greats in Sweet Home Chicago. The way I saw it was BB was more of a tribute.

Here's a question for anyone at the Dallas Crossroads, was it 1 day or more?
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

:music1: Here is a good review of the Crossroads extravaganza... thanks to Aggiefan for the link:

http://m.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Iss ... _2010.aspx

He and I are really looking forward to July 27 when it comes out at one of our local theaters :banana:
- Henry Ford