I'm back...

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
Blindboy

I'm back...

Post by Blindboy »

Been busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest lately. :roll: Too busy to log on much. I'll have to catch up.
Our open mic night has been reinstated... it seems that the fee that the bar pays for their Sirius radio should cover bands as well.
Yesterday (Monday) I dug out my 1952 Gibson ES-125, which hasn't been playable for about ten years. I finished dressing the frets, restrung it, and tuned it up just in time to drag her down to the open mic. This guitar and I have some history... I traded a .45 automatic pistol for it about 25 years ago. The dry climate here in New Mexico wreaked some havoc on it, but my Dad was able to fix it (collapsed top :yikes: ) and I did my very first (and only) fret job on it. (You want stress... try taking a hammer to your 50 year old guitar. :yikes: :yikes: )
Anyway, here is how she did...
CtQyWyBPrE8
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
MikeJackal

Re: I'm back...

Post by MikeJackal »

The one thing I would say you have much is improved on is your blues faces ;). It ain't blues unless it looks like your having a hard time on the can.
That's one sweet sounding guitar, you must be pleased as punch to get it back up and running after all that time, congrats.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Great news about the open mic!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Beautiful guitar .... and beautifully played - love the tones - make the musical taste buds in my head :drool: big time. :clap:

She certainly sings happily for you - probably feels good about the care and attention given to restore her to health ... but ... a hammer?! :eye_rub:

Hope we get to hear more from this guitar.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Great news from the open mic and very passionate playing! :clap:
Fantastic sound for a 50 years old guitar! :thumbsup:
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Yess thats fantastic news :clap:

50 years old great sound :thumbsup:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

MikeJackal wrote:The one thing I would say you have much is improved on is your blues faces ;
:lol: :lol:
Thanks guys, glad you liked it. :D
I'm really glad to get this guitar back in action... I'm very fond of it. (She's actually 60 years old now.) VB, this is the guitar that made me fall in love with the P-90 sound back when it wasn't as popular as it is now. It was also my first archtop.
Thanks to my buddy Dave for shooting this vid. Not great sound, but what can you expect from a little point and wait digital... :roll:
May have some more from this night on the Gibson... have to wait and see how the recordings came out.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:I'm really glad to get this guitar back in action... I'm very fond of it. (She's actually 60 years old now.) VB, this is the guitar that made me fall in love with the P-90 sound back when it wasn't as popular as it is now. It was also my first archtop.
Discontinued by the 1970s I see ... the fate of a lot of good guitar models. I've just noticed my local favourite guitar shop has a (young) 45 year old ES-125. However it's greenish (not my favourite guitar colour) and is 3 times the highest price I've ever paid for a guitar. :eye_rub: They DO hold their value well don't they. At least in the laste 60s Gibson were still selling them with P90s. However right out of my budget / league .... unless my numbers come up. :fingerscrossed: :roll:
http://www.livemusicshop.co.uk/productD ... ES-125%20C

Shows the quality of your guitar / guitar playing that even on a "little point and wait digital" enough of the sound got through to give us all the tone WOW factor. :drool:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
choucas09

Post by choucas09 »

Supercool guitar and performance, I hope your friend provides us with some more vids.
jokron

Post by jokron »

Really good playing, and what a fantastic guitar :cool:

...sometimes I miss my ES-175 :tears:

/Jokron
I was looking for the perfect guitar, I found it...but...I ran into trouble...it was looking for the perfect guitarist...
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

NIce guitar and great chops......BB if you strung fishing line on a garbage can it would sound great!!! Also glad those suits from the music industries are put in there place for now...live music always baby!!
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Awesome BlindBoy, excellent sound and playing. I could not afford the real ES 175, but after a long journey at music stores i found this guitar. It was in 1968 and i was play blues with my band Buddha Blues Band, in Holland and Germany mostley on army basis, and small cafe's. And with the Harry Hermes Trio i play on Wednesday evening in nightclubs background and latin American dance music (playing for door money en tips)
Found here in a small music store that mostly sell accordions in a bad neighborhood in Rotterdam, for the amount of Fl 400,=
I trade in a Teisco telecaster, and made the deal that i pay every week fl. 100,= cash So i did (my income at that time was incl my steady job fl. 156,00 a week :mercy: So i really have to play for my food and drinks :bb:

Your clip make me dig up here and restring, get the dust of and try to get used again to the shortscale. Still sounds amazing.
But still it never becomes a Gibby, and you must be carefull with the volume knob (feedback) But for fat jazzy and bluestones :high5:

You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
losaavedra

Post by losaavedra »

Can't beat a live band sound, great stuff. Glad to hear the 'suits' issue has been resolved.
Mike
"I feel more like I do now than when I first came on" (Ronnie Scott, Maidstone)
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Thanks for all the kind words. :shy:
VB that 125 you found looks great (the cutaway versions sell for quite a bit more...) except for that awful color.
El Mano... is that an old Framus? Those are cool guitars. I'll bet it sounds great. :drool: