Update On My Life

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
MikeJackal

Update On My Life

Post by MikeJackal »

Hello Strangers,
It has been ever such a long time since I last posted here although I do stop in occasionally to check out what's going on. So here is the latest update from the drudgery of my life.
The last time I posted was when I first joined the band last July, after that it was slow progress and I lost my enthusiasm when it became clear that the other half of the band couldn't keep up creatively, not because they didn't try, purely because they didn't have the musical talent to do so. So it got rather stale and we had got a gig organised through the music project at a showcase to promote the project to the bosses of the mental health trust of our area who pay for the whole thing.
We just about scraped through it and although there is video documentation of the event I won't be sharing it as it is terrible.
Then as Christmas neared and the thought of spending time away from the ones I love in Seattle, my depression got worse. So I sold off my Epiphone Sorrento and a couple of amps which managed to pay for my trip, so I did end up spending Christmas and New Years in America whih was great.
Now I am back home and utterly depressed again, with not much work on the horizon the only thing that keeps me going is the music. I have withdrawn from the music project due to there being too much politics and ill feeling at the place. I have been back to band practice although I am not committing myself to being a permanent member.
You may be wondering why I have posted this in the Blues Room, well today I recorded a 3 song mini set for my own pleasure and decided to stick it on YouTube so I came to share it with you good people.
Most of you know how much I love Peter Green so the first song "Love That Burns" will come as no big shock. The second song is one I wrote called "I've Got Nothing", 10 points if you spot the Peter Green connections. The third song is my new and much improved version of "I've Got A Mind To Give Up Living"
I hope you enjoy and thanks for being interested in my rambling story if you got this far!
haUy2-VCqWo
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
VikingBlues

Re: Update On My Life

Post by VikingBlues »

Hi Mike :wave: Long time no see.

Sorry to hear about your becoming disillusioned with the project and the band. I can hear you've not become disillusioned with the guitar though. There's some strong emotive playing from you on the video. Very "greeny" and none the worse for that. You have that great ability he had to allow pretty huge pauses between and during phrases, and you also have the chops and skill to make a very musical and interesting solo over very sparse backing. :clap: :clap:

BTW - liked the way the credits went at the end! :lol:

January / February are pretty bad months anyway but I can appreciate after the high of the American trip it'll be even worse than usual. Hoping things pick up for you. :fingerscrossed:

Keep playing that beautiful music. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:welcome: back, Mike!

You truly have the skills and talent for great music, so I won't give up on searching a band or at least some other musicians that fit your style and knowledge.
I don't know enough about your personal life to give any help to get over your depression, but I know it's a serious disease, and music may help - keep on!

Oh, and around 7:40 min it's magic playing... :pray:
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Thanks guys, don't worry as I said music is the only good thing I got so I won't be stopping playing. The main reason I recorded this was I plan on going out and playing and singing live at some point so I wanted to record this knowing I was going to be sharing it with the world to add that bit more pressure as if it were live.
Yes Gerd depression is both a serious and terrible disease and one I've had to live with for years and probably the rest of my life. I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't for the times when the sadness can be crippling. Luckily for me though on the plus side, the best way I have to convey those feelings and to exercise those demons is through playing my guitar. I suppose that's why I feel such an affinity to Peter Green, knowing how many years he has spent under the influence of "the dark side" and how some of his playing back then was him pouring his sadness into his guitar and ending up with some of the best music ever played, so it can't be all bad.
It is not a nice subject to talk about but I feel it needs talking about because depression is a bit of a dirty word and people don't know enough about it so that's why I share it.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Great music MikeJackal :thumbsup:

The last one is a great one really i like it a lot.
Very nice lead part a big :thumbsup: for you

Let come more of these and you made at last 1 man very happy :D
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Thanks very much, I'm uploading a studio version of that song later.
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

Good to hear from you, Mike.
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.