On a wire... updated

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

On a wire... updated

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Ok,

Maybe it's because of the medicine I'm on from today on.. It gives me an attitude of why should I care, the world is falling apart, who cares.

HBL does something that should resemble singing and a POOR job it is :cry:
The song reflects how I feel so...

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9201924

btw: it seems like apart from my life, my equipment is breaking up to.. MY ct is generating distorted tones even when played clean.. :angry:
Audition crashed and screwed up some part that I didn't get repaired fully... sorry for that.

Yes gerd, when everyone had his ear punishment I will remove the link if you want... or you could use it to punish spammers :drool:

Meanwhile I rerecorded the vocals and remasterd the whole thing leaving out the 2nd guitar completely.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9204045

Please tell me if this is more to your likings :think:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Re: On a wire... mind your ears <G>

Post by VikingBlues »

Sorry to hear the wheels are falling off here and there HBL. :alright:

But .. don't be too hard on your vocals. To me they sound as if they fit the musical mood pretty well, and I can hearthe vocal gradually getting more sure through the song. It's much more difficult to be objective about your own vocal than about your own guitar playing. Glad you've joined the ranks of the vocally challenged on 12bar! :clap:

I hope the medication is also doing the job its supposed to do though - but could just be you're still getting used to it.

Take care and look after yourself - and I hope you get your CT sorted out too. :D
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

I liked it, HBL. Your voice has a nice mellowness and a rounded tone when singing the lower notes. When it slips into a bit of raspiness in the higher notes it just beings more emphasis to that part of the song. Two of my favorite singers are Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits and I think you have them both beat. I also think your voice blends very well with the guitar. I think there is some real potential there. Extend this brave act and let us hear more.

I'd love to hear this song remixed with your voice moved forward and the second guitar part moved a bit back.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Whoo! Man, this is serious stuff. The blues is all about emotion (most music is), and this puts it out there with no mistake.
I am truly sorry that your world is out of whack, and I hope that things get better soon. :alright:
Don't be too quick to put down your vocals... They are pretty much perfect to get your point across. Great guitar too (as always).
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Oh shit. He can sing too.
(Green about Clapton when he performed Ramblin')

Your voice is much better than you might think and fits well to your playing. :thumbsup: It's Blues, not opera... Keep on with it.

Your meds sound like I sometimes need some of them... is it for your arm/hand?
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Re: On a wire... updated<G>

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Before I go on replying to everyone, I redid the thing, taking all your comments seriously....

I rerecorded the vocals and remasterd the whole thing leaving out the 2nd guitar completely.

A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Re: On a wire... updated<G>

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Before I go on replying to everyone, I redid the thing, taking all your comments seriously....

I rerecorded the vocals and remasterd the whole thing leaving out the 2nd guitar completely.

:D The slimmed down version with the redone vocal is even better. Like Blindboy said blues is about emotion - this one scores really high on that.

Hope to hear more of your vocals on future recordings. :clap: :clap:

EDIT: Funny - just a few months I was very well advised by someone - keep the guitar away from the vocals - they'll stand up fine on ther own (or words to that effect). I'm pleased to see the way your vocals do the same thing HBL and stand up tall on their own - some lovely deep sound in there too. Now who was it that advised me? I think there name was something like Hans. :lol:
Strummer07

Re: On a wire... updated

Post by Strummer07 »

Hey HBL ... good stuff

Like it !! ..................Singing... tick tick tick :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ............well done for having a real go at it !!.......and it works !!

For me the 1st verse is you at your best, and perhaps the last two ( doesn't mean you didn't hit the othere verses mind) .But here the singing here is really expressive and your hitting every note spot on ..........12 bar is right .your are seriously underestimating your skills here .....and it is Blues and its about expression / and story and sadness and hurt and ... well Blues really ! ......and you have expression in your voice in spades.

At 1.33 you go from singing ............into a very deep speak/ verse ..which I found didn't quite fit in with the singing .....which you then revert to at 2.06

Both your singing and your verse - voice work well :thumbsup: for me ...but perhaps not in the same number .this is just my opinion.

With your fab tone and ability to provide beautiful moody atmospheric slow blues, I wouldn't want to lose the instrumental side of HBL.

However ..............couple that with the newly discovered ( or rediscovered) expressive voice and I can't wait for a few full blown HBL Blues songs as well !!
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

Oh, Yeah! I think this version is better!

Just like in the first version you seem to gain confidence and your voice is more sure as the song goes on.

There's an exploratory quality to your singing. That often signals a time of rapid gains. I don't know anything about singing but in other areas of life we have probably all had the experience of seeing a very experienced person presented with a new gadget or technique or something. They will say, "OK, give me a few minutes to figure this out and I'll see what I can do". And a little while later they are doing amazing things. I sense that's where you may be with your voice. I hope we hear more.

Sorry to hear that you're feeling discouraged. But look! It bought you to singing! So it can't be all bad.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

VB, Thanks my friend, I know I always said I couldn't sing and part of me still feels that way. I guess it's just a matter of the right song (sloooow) and the right chords and melody to stand a chance.
Still I have taste for another one, much more difficult and complex structure. Now say if a fall through or pass....
MojoJim wrote:I liked it, HBL. Your voice has a nice mellowness and a rounded tone when singing the lower notes. When it slips into a bit of raspiness in the higher notes it just beings more emphasis to that part of the song. Two of my favorite singers are Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits and I think you have them both beat.
Thanks ever so much MJ :shy: but ho now... :eye_rub: hold your horses.. :wink: me beat Tom or Leonard.. :naughty: not by a long shot. As you can hear I was singing very softly which makes it easier for me to control the "bluesy"aspects and tonality of my voice. As soon as I have to deliver volume, my voices goes beserk. That was the reason I guess I was always given a "F" for singing @ school (mandatory lessons).
Anyway, all your responses are more then enough encouragement to give it some more tries.

Thanks BB, well to be honest, I guess things will even get worse first. (I mean life) but I guess I'm ready for it.
I feel you're right, Blues is Blues and all about emotion. Nice if it's flawless, but many times despite the rawness much better.

Gerd, Thanks :shy: Maybe Peter stated "He's trying to sing to" would fit me better, no doubt
No, the meds are there to make sure I stay calm enough to stop the migraine attacks from firing one after another. And a little to make sure I won't fall back in behaving like about 35 years ago, when I solved my problems "the old fashioned way" (Normally people would let me have my peace after such an encounter <G>)

Thanks Strummer. Glad you like it. Strange, the first verse is in my opinion not the best one the first to lines are to uncertain. Maybe I will give the whole piece a retry later on.

Mhh I think I will go for a Dutch blues... from cuby in a different setting. You guys can guess around if you like :think:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Hey, congratulations, this tune is sitting at the top of the cover songs chart on Soundclick. :thumbsup:
Great song! :clap:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:Hey, congratulations, this tune is sitting at the top of the cover songs chart on Soundclick. :thumbsup:
Great song! :clap:
:clap: :clap: :pray: :clap: :clap:

WELL DESERVED!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks guys :)
To be honest, the blues coversongs chart is not the most difficult one to get a nice rank.
Below are the results for this song. The second row gives the "times played" number for the corresponding day.

Code: Select all

May 27  	0  	0  	 	
May 28 	0 	28 		
May 29 	1 	14 		
May 30 	1 	12 		
Still, it's nice to have a song up there.