Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out

If you're searching for a special part of a song or a chord sequence, ask here. Include as much details as possible (e.g. time range, album).
BlindLemonJeff

Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out

Post by BlindLemonJeff »

Hey first post, here just wanted to say I love the site especially the section on the Layla album, makes it very easy to figure out those songs. Anyways, I've been playing around with nodoby knows you... and I had a question if anyone could answer. It says the song is in the key of C and that you can play licks using the C minor pent. which sound right, but the solo for the song is in A minor pent. which also sounds right. I am little confused about this could anyone help?
Blindboy

Re: Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out

Post by Blindboy »

The relative minor of C is A minor. Therefore you can play A minor pent. in C major. Just end your phrases on the C instead of the A...
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
weelie

Post by weelie »

i would assume it's c major pentatonic they talk about, not minor? C major penta has the same notes as A minor penta.

I think this song should be an exercise in aiming the chord notes.

If you play a minor penta at 5-8 fret, see the "open g chord" five frets up for the c chord. Then "open c7" up 4 frets for e7. Then a major barre at 5th fret. D minor barre at fifth fret. Etc.
DeepDrummer

Post by DeepDrummer »

Blindboy wrote:The relative minor of C is A minor. Therefore you can play A minor pent. in C major. Just end your phrases on the C instead of the A...
I have searched the world and wracked my brain to try to figure out how the relative minors and majors can be used and that one sentence just made things clear as crystal. Copied/pasted/resized to 12" block letters and pasted onto my wall. Thank you SIR!!!
Music is in my Soul and the Blues Makes me whole.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

DeepDrummer wrote:I have searched the world and wracked my brain to try to figure out how the relative minors and majors can be used
Obviously you didn't look here: http://12bar.de/basics.php , especially http://12bar.de/basics.php#morescales :big_smile:
DeepDrummer

Post by DeepDrummer »

Oh man I did not. 12bar, you may not realize just how much information you have on this site here. It is endless and thanks for that. Nice stuff. Thanks so much. It's a long old learning curve eh? So much to learn and so little memory left to do it with. heh heh.

And welcome to the best blues room in the world Blind Lemon Jeff.
Music is in my Soul and the Blues Makes me whole.