Slow Blues In D Collab. Anyone?

Upload your backing tracks here
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
MikeJackal

Slow Blues In D Collab. Anyone?

Post by MikeJackal »

I was told in the other topic to upload the backing track so i thought it do it in a new topic as it's a whole new colab.
My only problem is i don't know how these work exactly i just love the idea. So if someone would kindly like to handle the editing and tell me how things go then that would be great. I chose a medium/slow backing track as i presume most of you don't want to be dragging along to a really slow track, or equally playing super fast chops to a fast track. It is a normal pattern blues in D with no surprising chord changes.
download/file.php?id=100
Part 1: 00:00-01:01 Intro and first solo at normal volume
Part 2: 01:01-01:57 Second solo at normal volume
Part 3: 01:57-02:52 Third solo at normal volume **LYNYRD77SKYNYRD**
Part 4: 02:52-03:45 Fourth solo, band backs off and laid back, builds up to a climax at the end of the section
Part 5: 03:45-04:20 Much shorter than the others, so someone who doesn't want a long part, plus you get to end the song.

I would prefer the 3rd so i'll put my name down for that, but i'll swap if someone really doesn't want one of the other parts.
Looking forward to your guys responses!

P.S Loving the whole site 12Bar, some really good info for a relative newie like me.
Attachments

Slow Blues in D.mp3 - (5.96 MiB)

"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
bluesinbflat

Re: Slow Blues In D Collab. Anyone?

Post by bluesinbflat »

A Lawrence Fritts track, nice. Since I play harp I'll lead off and then let the guitarists take over.

Regarding how to go about with the editing....If it's alright with the rest of the gang, I recommend after recording your take to just do a minimal amount of mixing to ensure the volume balance is right, plus reverb and all that stuff....Then uploading the whole track for the next person to download and do away with sending to one person the individual bare tracks for aligning and mixing - Too much hassle IMO. Let's keep it simple.

Anyway, it's ready for the next player to download.
Attachments

Slow Blues in D.mp3 - (3.97 MiB)

MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Sounds great blues!
I think just uploading the whole track is the easiest way to go, providing that the quality doesn't decrease with each new recording. Like i said i'm new to this so i'll go along with your idea, that is of course unless someone would like to do the actual editing as some people like doing that kind of stuff, i on the other hand wouldn't know where to start lol.

Anyways great start, waiting for part 2 so i can do mine!
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
bluesinbflat

Post by bluesinbflat »

Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote:Sounds great blues!
I think just uploading the whole track is the easiest way to go, providing that the quality doesn't decrease with each new recording.
I exported my mp3 track at 128 kbps to make the upload go quicker so if anyone notices the quality starting to decrease please increase the bit rate. Thanks for the compliment LS.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

That's a great start to the piece bluesinbflat. :banana:

I'll try and give this a go in the next 4 hours if no-one else is about to move on it. If I've not posted by then assume failure!

Although with the quality of the harp playing it's a bit like being asked to solo following Eric. Gulp.

Good choice of BT BTW.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Well - I've had a go, but the harp intro IS a hard act to follow. :pray:

I've tried to pick up a phrase or two and carry them on, but ... you're next on Lynyrd - if it doesn't sound right, or my guitars too high in the mix, or whatever, I can redo. :icon_whoknows:

Hagstrom Viking Deluxe this time -I've been using it a lot more with the new Vox amp - but I haven't got the hang of recording that yet - so it's through the Tonelab ST. As far as stereo mix goes, my guitar part is 2.1 to the left.

download/file.php?id=102

BTW - my recording studio's a bit less high tech than HBLs!! :cry:
Attachments
Viking doesn't really have a recording studio.
Viking doesn't really have a recording studio.
VB_MusicStudio_Hmmmm.jpg (140.43 KiB) Viewed 24999 times

Collab Blues in D - part 2 done
SlowBluesInD_Collab2.mp3 - (3.97 MiB)

MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Awesome Viking, if anything i'd say you were too quiet! Great tone and playing though, I'll probably go with more of a growl from my Les Paul's bridge pickup so there will be quite a contrast from your sweet sound.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote:Awesome Viking, if anything i'd say you were too quiet! Great tone and playing though, I'll probably go with more of a growl from my Les Paul's bridge pickup so there will be quite a contrast from your sweet sound.
Contrast is good - I look forward to hearing part three. :thumbsup:
bluesinbflat

Post by bluesinbflat »

VikingBlues,

The guitar mix and tone to my ears was perfect - Not too high and not too low - Clean with just the right amount of reverb that blended well with this particular track. You played it right by staying in the pocket 'surfing' along with the track's mid tempo groove....And love how you hit those changes with the right notes - Keep on playing like this because you're playing my favorite style of blues guitar!

And I like that Hagstrom, if I was to get an electric again I'll look for one or something similar.
Last edited by bluesinbflat on Sun May 23, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Sweet! :clap:
Nice job VB! Both of you guys sound great. I would like to get in on this one if I may.
VikingBlues, your music space looks pretty good. Lots of nice axes. :drool: When I want to play something, I have to dig out the TonePort, hook it to the computer, then dig out whichever guitar I want to play. They all live in thier cases, except for the one I am currently playing.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:Sweet! :clap:
Nice job VB! Both of you guys sound great. I would like to get in on this one if I may.
VikingBlues, your music space looks pretty good. Lots of nice axes. :drool: When I want to play something, I have to dig out the TonePort, hook it to the computer, then dig out whichever guitar I want to play. They all live in thier cases, except for the one I am currently playing.
I look forward to hearing your take on this one BB. :drool:

The electric axe collection is coming along OK and covers a fair range - Les Paul, Tele, and Semi acoustic styles, and bass. But no P90s and no Strat style - hmmm, when's Christmas again? :xmas_1: :think:

I'm fortunate in an understanding wife - the guitars are allowed to stand in a corner of the living room, next to the laptop. The Hagstrom lives in the small alcove at the other end of the sideboard A lot of better halves would probably draw the line at the hardware on display - I'm lucky there. The Tonelab ST (sitting on top of the sideboard in the picture) lives in the sideboard, as does the Blackstar Boost pedal you can see on the floor. My amps are under a dining table which is in the bay window of the living room, but it's not usually used for dining on (it's very drafty in the bay and we eat in the kitchen - very rustic) so the amps aren't in the way.

But if someones watching TV or listening to CDs I do have a major removals exercise to record in the study! :roll:
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Well i just recorded my part on the 247th take. A couple of points i'd like to make first: 1. I've only been playing for 2 years now so please excuse my playing if it seems awfully immature and sloppy, i know i have a lot of work to do but just loving the journey. 2. My mastering skills are rather limited so i think my part is probably too loud in contrast to Viking, if it offends the ears too much then i will try to make another master, similarly if my playing offends i will remove it :D.

But the main thing i will take out of this is i really enjoyed the experience and it was a pleasure and an honor to get to play with you good people, this is the first time i have ever played with another real musician as i only play in my house and lack the confidence to even consider joining a band, so thanks for the opportunity.
download/file.php?id=106
Your next BB!

P.S. Can you let me know where all of you are from, as this is an international collab. i'd like to show it off to my family and tell them all the varied places the different parts come from, thanks.
Attachments

Slow Blues in D 3.mp3 - (7.93 MiB)

Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Heck, that sound great, Lynyrd. :thumbsup:
I wont be able to do anything until at least tomorrow night. I have a gig tonight, and wont be home untill late. :roll:
As contrast seems to be the theme here, I plan to start off real soft, and build up. Let's see what happens. :big_smile:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote:I've only been playing for 2 years now so please excuse my playing if it seems awfully immature and sloppy, i know i have a lot of work to do but just loving the journey. 2. My mastering skills are rather limited
WOHHHH... Only two years, eh??? I have only been at this for 10 months now, I can only hope that I can play near that well after another 14 months. You are certainly good enough to join one of these colabs. I am awaiting the day when I feel confident enough to do the same. I'm certainly not there just yet, but I have hopes... :chicken:

I have the feeling that you are going to be around this forum for a while. It is a great place to learn, get answers to your questions, and to just enjoy the company. There are some really fine folks in here. If you want to check out where everyone is from just look at the "Location" just under the names.

Stick around, you are a very good player :music2:
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote:Well i just recorded my part on the 247th take. A couple of points i'd like to make first: 1. I've only been playing for 2 years now so please excuse my playing if it seems awfully immature and sloppy, i know i have a lot of work to do but just loving the journey. 2. My mastering skills are rather limited so i think my part is probably too loud in contrast to Viking, if it offends the ears too much then i will try to make another master, similarly if my playing offends i will remove it :D.
That would have sounded great even if you'd being playing for 22 years not just 2. :clap: :clap: As Golfxzq says "you are a very good player".

As far as the mix goes, I am at least as much too buried in the mix if you are too loud - if there is some ebb and flow in the levels that might not be bad for the overall piece. We've now got Blindboy with the more laid back part coming up so there'll be another contrast.

I still find recording in a collab much more difficult than playing over a whole BT myself and always have more takes and changes of mind as a result - I still haven't recorded a part on a collab BT that I've been that happy with - always spend the next 24 hours mentally beating myself up with "Should have"'s and ""Why didn't I"'s.

I see what you mean about the growl from your Les Paul bridge pickup - nice! :thumbsup: My usual guitar is a Japanese Tokai "Les Paul" Custom rather than the Hagstrom I used on this piece - what variety of Les Paul do you use Lynyrd? I know my Tokai can growl as I've heard a really good player trying it out - I think I'm too quiet a person to make it growl convincingly. :sad:
Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote:But the main thing i will take out of this is i really enjoyed the experience and it was a pleasure and an honor to get to play with you good people, this is the first time i have ever played with another real musician as i only play in my house and lack the confidence to even consider joining a band, so thanks for the opportunity.
I still remember just last autumn posting a piece to the blues room for the first time. The first time I'd put my playing up for strangers to hear for well over 30 years. I was REALLY nervous about posting it, although I knew from being on the forum for a while how supportive and friendly they were here.
Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote:P.S. Can you let me know where all of you are from, as this is an international collab. i'd like to show it off to my family and tell them all the varied places the different parts come from, thanks.
With the "VikingBlues" name I should be in Scandanavia, but that name's because of the Hagstrom guitar. I'm in North Berwick on the East coast of Scotland, quite close to Edinburgh. Not too far from you in Sheffield but you'll find Blindboy is a bit further away! Click on the persons user name at the top left of their posts and you'll get user details which sometimes include location.
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Well wow, thanks for your comments, more than i could of hoped to get. I actually have ADHD and if you know about the condition you will know that we notoriously lack confidence and any task we undertake cannot be less than perfect, that obviously leads to frustration and disappointment because none of us are perfect, which in turn leads to low self confidence. Not that you need to know my personal crap, but thought it was relevant to why i think i stink and because it's always good to learn something :)
The main reason i love guitar is because it's the first time in my 24 years that i have ever achieved something and stuck at it for more than 10 minutes without wandering off, so the fantasticness of playing has been a great therapy for me.
VikingBlues wrote:what variety of Les Paul do you use Lynyrd?
I have a 1996 Korean Epiphone Les Paul, i call her Lilianne (After my grandma), it has stock Epi pickups but i upgraded the electronics to CTS pots and caps and a Switchcraft switch and jack. I also swapped the tuners for Grover vintage 135 series with classic green tulip knobs, had a custom brass truss rod cover made to mark the Lilanne dedication and swapped the bridge for a TonePros Nashville style wider bridge for better intonation. I can tell you that just that single upgrade of the bridge improved the sustain and tone like you wouldn't believe so i recommend it to anyone.
As for how i get my sound, i use Waves GTR3 software with a custom preset that i created after over a year of experimenting, i think it's great software and although never going to be as good as real tubes, on recordings it is hard to tell the difference
Attachments
DSC00262.JPG
DSC00262.JPG (2.76 MiB) Viewed 24893 times
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote:Well wow, thanks for your comments, more than i could of hoped to get. I actually have ADHD and if you know about the condition you will know that we notoriously lack confidence and any task we undertake cannot be less than perfect, that obviously leads to frustration and disappointment because none of us are perfect, which in turn leads to low self confidence. Not that you need to know my personal crap, but thought it was relevant to why i think i stink and because it's always good to learn something :)
The main reason i love guitar is because it's the first time in my 24 years that i have ever achieved something and stuck at it for more than 10 minutes without wandering off, so the fantasticness of playing has been a great therapy for me.
It's great to hear that you've made this connection with the guitar and the fact that you've made this progress in just two years despite the ADHD is amazing - I hope to hear more of your playing on the forum in the future. If you love guitar and the blues then this is a good place to stick around. :D
Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote:
VikingBlues wrote:what variety of Les Paul do you use Lynyrd?
I have a 1996 Korean Epiphone Les Paul, i call her Lilianne (After my grandma), it has stock Epi pickups but i upgraded the electronics to CTS pots and caps and a Switchcraft switch and jack. I also swapped the tuners for Grover vintage 135 series with classic green tulip knobs, had a custom brass truss rod cover made to mark the Lilanne dedication and swapped the bridge for a TonePros Nashville style wider bridge for better intonation. I can tell you that just that single upgrade of the bridge improved the sustain and tone like you wouldn't believe so i recommend it to anyone.
As for how i get my sound, i use Waves GTR3 software with a custom preset that i created after over a year of experimenting, i think it's great software and although never going to be as good as real tubes, on recordings it is hard to tell the difference
That's a great looking guitar as well as being great sounding. :thumbsup: Nice set of mods you've done to it too. There's nothing like a well set up Les Paul style guitar for sustain. And oh! to get that Tube sound on recordings - I'm finding trying to get a mic recording of a tube amp so hit and miss (and I don't think the room / environment I record in helps :sad: ) that I'm still using a Vox Toneport interface for recordings and living with the tone compromise.
bluesinbflat

Post by bluesinbflat »

That was good stuff LS, nice bite on that guitar tone.
weelie

Post by weelie »

LS, I've been playing for a decade, and you are way superior than I am. Don't know what ADHD symptoms are, but I haven't been diagnosed with anything but hypothyroidism, which they say can make me tired, depressed and slow... but I know I am just very very lazy, no matter what the doctors might call it. And low esteem I definitely suffer from, although never was a perfectionist, or at least I don't see that to be the reason for never being able to accomplish anything, I read books half way through, if you know what I mean. Anyway, ADHD or not, you are making progress and sound good!
weelie

Post by weelie »

double
Last edited by weelie on Sat May 29, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.