Converting Trash in to a Resonator

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
ElMano

Converting Trash in to a Resonator

Post by ElMano »

I cant help it Guys Sorry :icon_whoknows: But i read the story of one eyed slide and his GAS for a resonator. Waiting till the Woody Caster and Woody get there voices i spend some time writing a song for the CD and draw a cover for it. Made an appointment for the mastering and printing with the studio. So i wasn't buzzy doing nothing that as you may know is my profession :high5: The resonator story keep coming back to me, so i look on You Tube how a reso cone is made and work. And :aha: this :oldie: have found a solution for 2 things . 1e get a reso cheaper than cheap, and found a goal for an old spanish guitar that was saved out of the trailer filled with trash that i do tow for my neighbor :beer: Got a dogbowl that was to big for my Jimmie about 10 inch, and some other stuff. I go this weekend out of town with the kids an grandkids. But when i am back.. it is building time again. If dogbowls will work i want a sigarbox reso to.
To cover the cone i am looking for an old alu ore steel wheelcover 13 inch or so
Attachments
and of course a biscuit with the bridge
and of course a biscuit with the bridge
SP_A0332web.jpg (18.03 KiB) Viewed 12290 times
A piece of a sugar shaker
A piece of a sugar shaker
SP_A0328web.jpg (15.4 KiB) Viewed 12290 times
You Take a Doggiebowl
You Take a Doggiebowl
SP_A0330web.jpg (17.27 KiB) Viewed 12290 times
Fill the soundhole with the rest material that have the same color
Fill the soundhole with the rest material that have the same color
SP_A0326web.jpg (17.16 KiB) Viewed 12290 times
Made a hole in the top
Made a hole in the top
SP_A0325web.jpg (14.92 KiB) Viewed 12290 times
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
oneeyedslide

Re: Converse Trash in to a Resonator

Post by oneeyedslide »

Hey ElMano! I can't wait to see this. It's gonna be way cool!

My cone was a cat's water bowl in another life.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Outstanding... :eye_rub: :banana:
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

funny it is....

sow i will follow this topic :wink:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

An update I had only two hours between the administration Informing the bands for the CD release. But to empty my head i do some work on the reso project,
Of course i take some pictures It gonna start look like a reso. The next thing to do is made a construction inside from small wooden strips and a stick inside to strength the body. Make the Heel inside bigger and the Tailblock also an glue the stick in between. I am thinking to pace a new fretboard en made the neck a bit slimmer When i do that i place a truss rod to.
Attachments
100_5936web.JPG
100_5936web.JPG (27.34 KiB) Viewed 12228 times
100_5934web.JPG
100_5934web.JPG (27.43 KiB) Viewed 12228 times
100_5933web.JPG
100_5933web.JPG (38.17 KiB) Viewed 12228 times
ElMano

Re: Converting Trash in to a Resonator

Post by ElMano »

I have found a solution for the cover of the cone this afternoon :high5: I cut the outside ring off and bend the ends 90 o drill true the body. In the body i glue some square wooden beans to keep the thing on his place.. Tomorrow i hope to find some time to fix the wood work inside and made a steel tale peace.
Attachments
100_5938web.JPG
100_5938web.JPG (28.03 KiB) Viewed 12206 times
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Did some woodworking inside the body and router a kind of trussrod into the neck. I use a piece of a Fiberglas fishing rod I glued it in. I am gonna cover it with a new maple fretboard square with medium frets.
Attachments
SP_A0343web.jpg
SP_A0343web.jpg (17.65 KiB) Viewed 12166 times
SP_A0341web.jpg
SP_A0341web.jpg (13.92 KiB) Viewed 12166 times
SP_A0340web.jpg
SP_A0340web.jpg (15.57 KiB) Viewed 12166 times
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

long time no post... this is WAY cool. I want one.
"Playing the blues is like being black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed out on both counts, but I never noticed" - BB king
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

rocknroll93 wrote:long time no post... this is WAY cool. I want one.
:wave: r'n'r93! Way cool indeed. :drool:

- I am forever amazed at how inventive ElManos projects are and what a skilled craftsman he is. :pray:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Today i have finished the project, from here i gonna start some innovations, but not before the next project is finished but that's an other topic to start.
I have been surging for a cover plate and first i bought a kind of spider web (used for hot pan's to protect the table) Then i found a Pizza plate covered with Teflon To bake pizza but that was a bit to big. And then i reorganize the shack an found an old pickup disk that i saved as back for a sanding plate. I drilled a couple of holes in it and this is the result. The tail piece is a piece of aluminum, a piece of 5 mm screw tread and a piece of an aluminum Square pipe ( part of an landrover window system gngngn)
A new fret board from hard maple and new frets make the looks an it plays a lot better ( the original fretboard was plywood! with some black paint. After that the neck was reshaped (smaller and slimmer) I put a couple of old shitty strings on to look at the spacing and try to get some tone out of it. :banana: :banana:
Let me tel you that this guitar was born as trash and never get a good guitar. But for the experiment i can ashore you that it sounds like a beaten up old resonator just like a want. Got to buy some new strings and i will get you a sound sample.

Some pictures of course.
Attachments
100_5939web.JPG
100_5939web.JPG (16.25 KiB) Viewed 12073 times
100_5940web.JPG
100_5940web.JPG (20.4 KiB) Viewed 12073 times
100_5941web.JPG
100_5941web.JPG (21.85 KiB) Viewed 12073 times
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

:wave: im back again, il ltry to post here often again.. this resonator project looks awesome.. im in the process of finding a lump of wood to turn into a body.. im going to buy a neck because I dont trust myself building one... (yet)...
"Playing the blues is like being black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed out on both counts, but I never noticed" - BB king
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1035 Have you seen this project? Maybe you can get som info out of it. Building is a lot of fun. The first projects i build i use a neck of an old guitar. Later i rebuild old jazz guitars into slim hollow body's with pick ups. Friends buy them from me and i spend the money for new parts to build better examples. Start your own project with a good neck is the half of the job to made a good playable guitar. Post some pictures when you are building please and don't be afraid to ask things if you want to know something Oke. Succes
rocknroll93

Post by rocknroll93 »

I will post when I get some wood..

finding somthing nice without having to pay for heaps of it is a little hard around here..
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

I don't know if you had that kind of shops But In Holland we have shops whit very cheap secondhand furniture A lot of old shitty things But some times i score a nice Salon table or eating table whit a thick massif blade ore a shelf for above the bed (massive) Woody is fron wood that came from a bed shelf and a teak garden seat :mercy: gngng As a donor for the hardware i use a Epiphone whit a broken neck :think: :aha: