Clapton Winwood 2010 tour

Talking Blues, news, cool links
Strummer07

Clapton Winwood 2010 tour

Post by Strummer07 »

Kicked off last night in Birmingham UK ..........due to roll out to 7 Countries ( Ash Clouds willing ) ..16 gigs to come .and he goes off from this tour straight to the US and Crossroads and a couple of solo gigs ..he's gonna be in good shape for Crossroads .......or knackered !! ( he's an old fella now .. and growing all that hair must sap the strength !!)

Reviews a bit scarse this morning but heres a piece from Where's Eric .........a few new songs in the set list too ....but no Double Trouble ( what will JimS say to that !!)

The overall shape of the set list is still pretty similar to the 2009 tour of the USA with a couple of songs in the middle traded.

http://www.whereseric.com/eric-clapton- ... 21+News%29

Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood 18 May 2010 Set List / LG Arena, Birmingham
01. Had To Cry Today
02. Low Down
03. After Midnight / Presence Of The Lord
04. Shape I'm In
05. Glad / Well Alright
06. Tuff Luck
07. Pearly Queen
08. Forever Man
09. Midland Maniac
10. Going Down
11. Georgia
12. Drifting Blues
13. How Long
14. Layla
15. Can't Find My Way Home
16. Split Decision
17. Voodoo Chile
18. Cocaine
Encore:
18. Dear Mr. Fantasy
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
tombstone

Re: Clapton Winwood 2010 tour

Post by tombstone »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aI3WJJ83W0

Shape I'm In

This is a gift from on high.

When I first red the wheres eric post last night I thought that they had made a typo whilst shooting for "The Shape You're In" from Money and Cigs. For Eric to cover a Band song in concert... it brought tears to my eyes. PLEASE PLAY THIS AT CROSSROADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fact that he is playing this makes me wonder if he recorded it for his upcoming album Whiplash, about which he has stated that he has finally covered everything that he ever wanted too... we can only hope.
I used to be tombstoneblues.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Hey Tombstone B
what a great clip ( blimey less than 24 hrs since the concert and its available around the world .. amazing ) Tks for posting the link

and what a superb number ... :thumbsup: Big Tick .we need a BIG Tick icon please !!...I didn't know the track to be honest ....money and cigs has never been in my EC collection, pretty much got everything else mind !! ...
However ...........It might end up in my collection after tomorrow :thumbsup:

Love the pale blue Strat :thumbsup: .......................Not keen on the hair !! :thumbsdown:

Roll on Thursday night at Wembley !!
Gary Moore 1952-2011
tombstone

Post by tombstone »

Thats the thing, it is not from the EC album Money and Cigarettes, but rather a cover of a song from The Band's album Stage Fright. That is what makes it so incredible for me.
I used to be tombstoneblues.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Wembley Arena 20th May 2010 ........I was there !! lovely concert on a mellow sunny evening

Headlines would be (For me)
Eric and Steve smouldered and simmered and showed us the best of what they did in 68/69 ... but they never quite caught fire !!

Loved the concert and a super opportunity to see two of my all time favorite musicians ...it was a real trip down Memory Lane - - the set list is pretty much as they played at Birmingham. Arrived a bit early and as we were seated in the front section I was able to wander up the front and take a peek at the stage set up ..Eric's Tweed Covered Fender Amp ( and Backup ) Steve's Black Fender Amp and all the paraphanailia of a major gig .rigging , tech's up in the rafters , Video camers to feed the two huge screens .etc etc .. all very exciting .and to get so close to it all !! Wow!

The whole band , led by Steve and Eric sauntered onto the massive Wembley stage at extactly 20.08 hrs ...stage dressed almost exactly as it was in Birirmingham and its a very impressive set. Tall backdrop , visually impresive, which looked quite amazing when lit up in a whole host of great colours ..............

Just trappings mind .................we had come to listen !!

Steve looking fit and still quite boyish ( Ok old boy-ish) in a tan and orange check shirt , Eric begining to look his 65+ years for sure in a shapeless pair of jeans and a blue shirt , long hair and a return to the framed glasses ............does not really suit a 'rock star' image for me .....but his fingers sure have not aged and the tone he gets from that Fender .just awesome !!

The start of the set was really good
"Had to cry today" .. Belting !! with that very distictive lead riff ......both Eric and Steve trading licks on Strats , Eric pale Blue and Stevie's looked like a new sunburst job. Steve's voice still gets up there !!
Into a lovely up tempo "Low Down" ................great rhythm , Eric now on Solo guitar and Steve behind the Hammond .....this was a good number ( where did this originate ?? )
Into a low-key "After midnight" which segwayed "Presence of the Lord " .both Fab numbers

"Shape I'm in" was a super number and they sure did it proud.

"Forever man" stood out as well executed number

The very first bit of chat came with Steve intoducing "Geogia" .........Eric sitting down for this .......bloody good number .. very emotive .this took them into a 5 number acoustic sit down set . band on stage with Willie Weeks on Acoustic Bass. EC on the Martin 00-28 EC and Steve on what looked like a Martin D28 ...this section was the higlight of the whole show for me

2 old mates stiing down with a couple of guitars and making great music..............they seemed to really relate to each other and enjoy it too - Big smiles at each other at the end
"Georgia" .....Into a small chat from Erc about the fact that
" we've done this a couple of times before ..........the first time in 1968 !! " ( I do wish EC would talk a bit more .... its really helps a connection with the audience .but I know its not his thing and its not Winwoods either ..Shame)

then Eric.................."Driftin Blues" .....lovely number and beautifully executed with Steve just backing up on Hammond and adding a hammind sole after Erics .. worked well.

How Long .............both on Acoustics now ....into a sneakily disguised "Layla" and then a lovely "Can't find my way home" /...........Steve on a Martin 0OO-28 and soloing.

So a very equally shared acoustic set ....................which was the magical part of the evening for me.

Best number of the night without doubt was next
"Split Decision" ....brilliant

After that it did not seem to build quite as you'd expect a concert to do .........It kind of stuttered a bit and the audience responded to this by becomeing a bit passive.

Choice of song....... .maybe .................."Voodo Chile" and like on the MSG DVD it was about 15 /16 mins long .......and while the band did all it could with little cresendo's every now and then ...........some superb work from the 2 foxy backing singers.....

However, they played it in the main with a very pronounced and slow beat .so it was a bit difficult to really feel much or be lifted by it ................By the time it eneded one felt a bit ............."So what" and I felt distincly uninspired.

Wrong song at the wrong time for me ...brilliantly executed ..but left you feeling flat rather than pumped.........this was supposed to be the concert cresendo ....and I don't think it worked . :sad:

Then into the last song ..............now what might that be???????????????? As per usual !! ...No surprises !! ....Cocaine

I've said it before ..but Clapton has overused this song as his ending to concerts and it now feels a bit tired.

That was it and we had to leave before the encore as my wife is unwell and cannot manage jossling in a crowd so we left before the encore to make a smooth getway

I was a bit disappointed as "Dear Mr Fantasy "..............is a Traffic Winwwod favorite ..but my wife doesn't like it .....and I needed to get her out. So it all made sense.

In hindsight ......brilliant musicianship , not sure the combination of Clapton / Winwood and Chris Stainton works properly .........Winwood does all that Stainton does on piano and organ .so Stainton had to fight for space. Also when Winwood was on Organ ..Eric was alone on guitar having to do a "Cream" and do Rhythm and lead and fills etc ....more fab nostalgia than and earthbreaking, vibrant concert that leaves you wanting more.

I leave you with a short piece from a review from a newspaper which I read as I finsihed thinking what I had made of it all .........glad to have been there ...but !!

In truth, backwards was the only direction that this concert was taking anyone. Tastefully compiled and brilliantly executed, the sense of an audience and band intent on reliving better days was nevertheless palpable and, at times, a little dispiriting.
The evening climaxed with Jimi Hendrix’s Voodoo Chile, a neat choice, given that Winwood played organ on Hendrix’s record, but an interminable arrangement that, like much of the show, lacked the fire of the original.

i will post a pic or two later ......Erics Amp !! and all !!
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

DSC01396.JPG
DSC01396.JPG (586.88 KiB) Viewed 14918 times
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

This thread has puzzled me a bit ..............218 views and only 5 responses .and 4 of those are mine !!

So its an intresting topic to read about perhaps ..........................but no-one wants to say anything or comment

As this whole forum kinda links to Eric in some way .....I am wondering ...............why the lack of interest / responses ??

Did I guage or review the gig harshly ?? ............I wrote as I felt at the time. I wrote as a fan who was slightly saddened at the ending of the gig and the slighly underwhelmed mood of the audience.

Are folk finding it difficult to read and comment on something which is not wholly adulative of Eric C ??

Anyway ,today I picked up the Daily Telegraph today , one of the UK's leading broadsheet newpapers ...and was a bit stunned, perhaps disppointed to read a review of last Thursdays Winwwod/ Clapton Gig

......its not overly flalttering to be honest and only rated the gig 2 **

So if you don't like critical reviews of "Our Man" read no further .......

By Adam Sweeting
Published: 6:00PM BST 21 May 2010

Headline .......

Nodding off to Grandad Rock
These days, Eric Clapton devotes most of his energy to recreating previous phases of his career. There has been the Cream reunion, the pairing with Jeff Beck, and now a continuation of the partnership with Steve Winwood which flashes back to the fleeting heyday of Blind Faith in 1969. This show, part of a European tour, broadly followed the template of their 2008 Madison Square Garden concerts, which are already available on CD and DVD.

Whereas sharing a stage with the technically formidable Beck seemed to goad Clapton into digging deeper than usual into his imaginative reserves, putting Clapton and Winwood together seems to have the opposite effect, and makes both of them feel a little too comfortable for their own (or the audience's) good.

Winwood's high, keening voice survives more or less intact, and he's still a superb keyboard player and capable guitarist, but he always looks as though he's happier to be a backing musician than a frontman. Clapton, the dominant figure in the partnership, isn't much better as a master of ceremonies. He just stands there and plays, and only once bothered to talk to the audience, mumbling something about how long ago it was when he and Steve last played here together.

The set list combined songs from Blind Faith and solo material from each of them, but the choices were frequently perplexing. Winwood exhumed Midland Maniac from his 1977 solo album, but the song's asymmetrical structure and peculiar chord changes made it sound as if they were playing it in the wrong key.

Split Decision, from Winwood's Back In The High Life set, scraped along like a musical ball and chain. Why on earth didn't they play his chart-topping Higher Love, or Back in the High Life Again?

As for Clapton, he insists on playing his finest song, Layla, as a sleepy unplugged stroll, himself and Winwood plucking acoustic guitars like a pair of old codgers warming their rheumaticky limbs in front of a log fire.

I could go on. In fact I will. Playing one JJ Cale song may be considered acceptable in polite granddad-rock society, but three? And what is the point of resurrecting Jimi Hendrix's Voodoo Chile as an unimaginative, interminable and utterly conventional blues, filling a space that could have been occupied by three shorter songs?

There were some gems, nonetheless. Presence of the Lord was rather fine, and an acoustic Can't Find My Way Home was the highlight of the show, as fragile and haunted as when they originally recorded it. Winwood's Pearly Queen, from his Traffic days, captured a nagging raunchiness we could have done with a lot more of.

But overall, this was like watching two senior citizens taking the dog for a walk.

Unquote

I guess it kinda disappointed me when i read the article ..............I am a big fan of Erics.................I did really enjoy the gig .........(all but Voodoo Chile and Cocaine .... as I have already mentioned) ..Eric still plays fantastically well, his tone and his musicianship have not dimmed one iota................. and he surrounds himself with great musicians

However, as an avid fan I do occasionally question his song choice ..and I still absolutely believe that he needs to be pushed , by anther top notch guitarist, who pushes him/ challenges him and inspires him to do his best.

I also believe there is still some top notch stuff from EC yet to come .............. but, but , but ............. it needs coaxing out of him with the right mix of songs and the right musicians.

If he does not get that stimuli .............his shows may/ will become like so many other bloated Rock stars .................going through the motions ...just to grab the big bucks ...........I would hate Eric C to get labelled like that.

Or ...............has he just gigged too much ??

Is he gigging too much right now ??

or sacriledge I know ................................

has he sold out to the dollar already ??

or

Have I just been to too many of his gigs ??......are my expectations of him too high ????

I wonder how other forummers feel about the Daily telegraph Review ????...(and it's by no means the only review in this vein)

Anyone seeing remaining European tour gigs ??

and anyone booked for the June USA Gigs ?? .what do you think ??

any response would be nice ....................................even ................................your talking outa yer arse !! :lol:
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Interesting Strummer that both you and the reviewer highlighted the "problem" with the audience communication, though you put it much more sympathetically.

I've got a great deal of sympathy for the performer(s) regarding this. It's such a different skill to communicate in a one sided conversation with and entertain an audience. I reckon it can, if the player is having to force it, reduce the quality of their playing performance, I think as it will ruin the focus and concentration. :wall:

And if the choice is a better performance or a bit of repartee with the audience I think I'd want to stick to the preservation of the music. :music2:

I think some performers get round this by deliberately picking group members for tours that can do the yappy frontman bit.

I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of response on the thread Strummer - although I know I do worry if it happens to me (physician heal thyself :sad: ). I might have posted but not having seen any of the participants live there wasn't mush obviously to be said. Possibly a lot of us were in the same boat.

Your comment of "2 old mates sitting down with a couple of guitars and making great music" sounds a deal nicer than "this was like watching two senior citizens taking the dog for a walk". But then, those that can - do, those that can't - become critics!

EDIT : Now I hope someone replies to this as I'm now the last poster in 4 of our 6 forums - looks a bit obsessive. :mercy:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Strummer07 wrote:This thread has puzzled me a bit ..............218 views and only 5 responses .and 4 of those are mine !!
Usually I love to respond, but from "exile" I hardly can read all posts...
For the DT review - forget it. The reviewer seems to know nothing about EC's history. If you enjoyed it, it's fine. If not, EC is (sometimes) only human, at an age where others retire, so he can have a bad day. For the setlist - ask 10 people and you get 11 suggestions. And for another player pushing him - he has done all variations in the past. Alone, with other great guitarists, with other pushing band members - but when he is on, he's on, no matter who's beside him.

:peace:
Strummer07

Bonamassa in London

Post by Strummer07 »

Thanks 12 Bar and VB ..............hope the exile is not too bad !! and the end is in sight

I was lucky enough to go see Joe Bonamassa and his band perfom at the Hammersmith Apollo in London last night

What a great night . Bonamassa was on fire , great new impressive stage set, solid set list .... lots of superb guitars and Joe absoloely on fire

I am posting a short review on this Clapton Winwood gig review quite delibertely to contast 2 gigs, actually 3 and how each falls under a blues banner .but are so different.

Joes set list started with a bang ...Ballad of john Henry .from his last album with Joe playing a whopping double header guitar , might have been a Peavey , unsure .... but great sound .Band , all his usual folk.......very very tight and giving it their all

and the set list romped on for almost 2 hours ..........sensational guest appearance in the middle from Ian Anderson on his flute and joing Jo in the singining ...Magical stuff !! ...Hands up who remembers Jethro Tull ???

Set List 28 May
Ballad of John John Henry
Last Kiss
So Many Roads
So It's Like That
If Heartaches Were Nickels
Further On Up The Road
Sloe Gin

New Day Yesterday - (feat - Ian Anderson)
Locomotive Breath ( " " )

Lonesome Road Blues
Happier Times
Blue And Evil
Three Times A Fool
Blues Deluxe
Young Man Blues
Woke Up Dreaming
Django/ Mountain Time
-----------
Bird On A Wire
Just Got Paid

Never dull moment and this artist knows how to connect to his audience............ .he was also really pleased to be there ....Reallly proud to tell us that this was his biggest audience ever??? .....5250 fans in the Apollo caused it to be warm ................mighty warm

Joe , working like a bandit all over the stage stated the set in a really smart Italian light grey sharkskin suite ....................the whole suit ended up completely soaked in sweat !!

Started across his back and gradually spread until the whole thing and trousers too was drenched !...This guy gave us his all !!

Joe gets 10/10 for sheer effort and showmanship....and his guitar playing is just blistereing .......He's in the "too many notes" category for me ... I prefer Erics more considered playing ( BBK .. "its the notes that you don't play " ) .....but this guy can play. He does an acoustic number in the middle where he does everything except get the guitar to talk.

Guitars a plenty
Les Pauls .......Gold Top , Vintage sunburst / Black .........the Peavey Double header , an Explorer shaped guitar which he played brilliantly .a Gibson flying "V" and a couple of waht looked like Music man 's (same as Albert Lee plays) ....all cranked up and played in style ....................big thick Les Paul tones mostly.

Sound was brilliant .so I could hear ever note .which was a huge problem when i saw him at the RAH in May 2009 .sound was dreadful !!

So in the past 5 weeks I have seen

Eric Bibb in London...cost £25.00 per ticket .superb set , lovely artist ... really connects to his audience and tells great stories .................delightfull evening
Eric C & Steve W London - Wembley Arena .. ticket cost £85.00 no support act.. great to see the stars at work .. great tone not a lot of audience buzz though and no connection. But too much nostagia and not enough working to satisfy the customers...........Perhaps "Going through the motions" ???? l
Joe Bonamassa - London Ticket cost £30.00 Sandy Thom support very good .supeb energetic show. Guitar playing at its best a band working flat out to give their best..

Most enjoyed gig for me ??? the cheapest ...................and not because of the price !!!!
Because of the music and the way it was expressed and the genuine wish of the artist to connect to and engage with the audience

Eric Bibb in a small 400 seater theatre......a man making superb acoustic music and delighting his audience.

QED !!

Next Gig ....gotta wait until end of June to go see.................

Paul McCartney at Hard Rock Calling in Hyde Park............
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Good grief! You go to more concerts in 5 weeks than I go to in 5 years Strummer. :D

I'm not surprised to hear about the hard work and showmanship of Joe Bonamassa, although I agree with you about the number of notes. If I keep going the way I am I'll be looking for a guitarist who plays a one note solo before too long. :think:

And yes, I'm old enough to remember Jethro Tull. I still like their stuff, but prefer their live performances - unfortunately there's so little of their concerts out on DVD, although there did used to be a lot of dvd's on the net from tv live feeds etc. I was pleased to see the Madison Square Gardens gig finally out on DVD - but why it should take that long to release official footage of a 1978 concert baffles me. :motz: Martin Barre is an often overlooked guitarist, and back in the mid 70s before his untimely death they had a wonderful bass player in John Glasscock - they had a very good quality line up in every department at that stage.

I'm not surpised your choice of best concert was the smallest gig - the performer can make much better connection with the audience when it's small scale. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

A few clips from the Bonamassa concert...........I didnt film them .....I much prefer to watch the concert than faff about with cameras and stuff ......But some seem to enjoy it

Good clips tho ..... apart from some total prats down the front ........why go to a concert if you don't wanna listen and appreciate??? Still one gets aresholes all over the world these days I guess ..however we do seem to get or fair shre here in the UK !! :thumbsdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3_gNXn5NVU

Django and Mountain time ..superb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj76mX5Jkow
Last Kiss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jckh8hYU3VQ

Sloe Gin ......which was a real show highlight for me
Gary Moore 1952-2011
blue970

Post by blue970 »

Seen em in Denver, their last tour. Amazing! Yeah i'm diggin the blue strat! Makes me want to buy a second one, (w/gold lace sensors) to keep my 01 American standard company, which i just put callaham block/sadles on, I love this guitar!