And now for something completely different...

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
Blindboy

And now for something completely different...

Post by Blindboy »

After seeing VikingBlues talk about the difficulties of miking an amp, I thought I would see if my GuitarPort would support a microphone. Rather than lug an amp up our STEEP stairs to the computer room, I decided to try a totally acoustic fingerstyle thing for my first foray into miking my playing. After getting outside of several shots of tequila, I was finally motivated. For this piece ( :whistle: ) I used my old '50's Regal parlour guitar for all but the second guitar at the end which is my wooden Dean resophonic. It is kind of my take on a Reverend Gary Davis medley, but with no vocals, so maybe it won't violate any copyrights. If it does, 12bar,feel free to delete it. :thumbsup:
download/file.php?id=96
Please don't judge too harshly, this is a quick, one take, experiment. :shy:
Attachments

Rev Gary medly.mp3 - (3.4 MiB)

"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
MojoJim

Re: And now for something completely different...

Post by MojoJim »

Blind Boy - That sounds sooooo good!

I keep hearing all kinds of surprising things in your playing. I heard a very slow vibrato at one point that was just excellent. I love that Piedment finger picking style. When I first got my Martin acoustic I tried to learn "Railroad Bill" as taught by Stefan Grossman. It's simple (actually, there are no simple Piedmont style songs) but I almost drove myself crazy trying to learn it when I didn't have the basic skills. I'm going to try again now that I'm further along. I really appreciate your ability in this style - you just play very, very well.

In "Blowing Off Steam" did I hear some "squealies"?
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:After seeing VikingBlues talk about the difficulties of miking an amp, I thought I would see if my GuitarPort would support a microphone. Rather than lug an amp up our STEEP stairs to the computer room, I decided to try a totally acoustic fingerstyle thing for my first foray into miking my playing. After getting outside of several shots of tequila, I was finally motivated. For this piece ( :whistle: ) I used my old '50's Regal parlour guitar for all but the second guitar at the end which is my wooden Dean resophonic. It is kind of my take on a Reverend Gary Davis medley, but with no vocals, so maybe it won't violate any copyrights. If it does, 12bar,feel free to delete it. :thumbsup:
download/file.php?id=96
Please don't judge too harshly, this is a quick, one take, experiment. :shy:
I've always thought the acoustic guitar separates the men from the boys in blues playing - you're in the men category with ease. :clap: :clap: :pray:

Sounds so natural and lovely ebb and flow and sway to the rhythms. Very successful miking experiment, and if that's tequila talking in your playing I maybe need to switch to that from wine. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Blindboy wrote:If it does, 12bar,feel free to delete it.
That would be a shame - I don't think it will give problems. Playing is really great, mastering the most complicated thing (at least to me) - keeping the steady rhythm while picking those neat little runs. :clap: Keep on!
BTW - there's no need for tequilas or wine to play a guitar - don't make the same mistake other's made... :oldie:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

12bar wrote: BTW - there's no need for tequilas or wine to play a guitar - don't make the same mistake other's made... :oldie:
I appreciate your concern, but I wrestled those demons years ago. My problem these days is nicotine. :wall:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

VikingBlues wrote: Sounds so natural and lovely ebb and flow and sway to the rhythms. Very successful miking experiment, and if that's tequila talking in your playing I maybe need to switch to that from wine. :thumbsup:
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have been neglecting my acoustics lately, mustn't do that.
The mic experiment had mixed results... It worked, but the levels were VERY low, and I couldn't bring them up. Maybe the cheap mic. :icon_whoknows:
BTW, the tequila comment was meant tongue in cheek, not as an actual motivational technique. :tongue:
MojoJim wrote:Blind Boy - That sounds sooooo good!

I keep hearing all kinds of surprising things in your playing. I heard a very slow vibrato at one point that was just excellent. I love that Piedment finger picking style. When I first got my Martin acoustic I tried to learn "Railroad Bill" as taught by Stefan Grossman. It's simple (actually, there are no simple Piedmont style songs) but I almost drove myself crazy trying to learn it when I didn't have the basic skills. I'm going to try again now that I'm further along. I really appreciate your ability in this style - you just play very, very well.

In "Blowing Off Steam" did I hear some "squealies"?
Thanks, MojoJim, I', glad you liked it.
Stefan Grossman is a good place to start for fingerstyle guitar. Some other good ones to listen to are Corey Harris (the album "Fish ain't Bitin'") and Roy Bookbinder ("Live Book, Don't Start Me Talkin'"). My little brother is the fingerpicker in our family. I have been trying to get him to post some stuff, but he is busy learning the drums. :icon_whoknows:
If by "squealies" you mean "pinch harmonics", the answer is "lots of 'em". (both intentional and unintentional :big_smile: )
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:BTW, the tequila comment was meant tongue in cheek, not as an actual motivational technique. :tongue:
Know what you mean, as was my wine comment :wink:
12bar wrote:BTW - there's no need for tequilas or wine to play a guitar - don't make the same mistake other's made... :oldie:
Blindboys said his problem is nicotine - I think mine is staying awake. Anymore than 1/4 bottle of red wine and I'm dozing these days. My best playing is early morning - within a couple of hours of waking - after that I have a gradual mental sag and by the evening my concentration's at a low ebb. So weekdays I have a window in my schedule of half an hour max before I go to work to play something half decent. Ho hummm - it's not enough. :alright:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!